Final Lineup Confirmed for Campbell's Classic | Golden Skate

Final Lineup Confirmed for Campbell's Classic

R.D.

Record Breaker
The addition of Rochette to the Ladies matchup is interesting indeed.

RD

janetb

Rinkside
She has the goods to place as high as 3rd, and has placed ahead of both Fumie Suguri and Shizuka Arakawa before in the long program. Nor do I think Kimmie Meissner or Emily Hughes are competition.

Irina is out - smart lady!!

No Buttle; No Stephane - smart men!!

Now chilrun, ya all go to the Events Section and make your predictions.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
I didn't even notice Irina was gone- and yes, I agree, smart move by her. These things don't matter.

bdreampixie

On the Ice
I'm so excited that Suguri and Rochette have been added! I can't wait to see their programs. I've heard a lot of good things about Suguri's program, I hope she skates well.

Last edited:

nymkfan51

Medalist
I'm curious Joe, as to why you seem happy about Irina not doing Campbells. I thought from previous discussions that you were from the "do every event you can" school.

kyla2

Final Flight
Irina

ITA Joe, Irina was smart to skip this event and wait for the relevant ones. However, I am glad that we will be able to see how the other ladies are skating whether they skate their 2005-2006 porgrams or not.

I am sad that Irina won't be there. With the addition of Irina, it's a blockbuster line-up. But without her, all the winner can say is, I'm the best in the non-Slutskaya category (on this night, of course).

Still...Joannie could take it all! All she has to do is skate like she did at Canadian Nationals last year.

Then, too...Fumie :love: could take it all! Last year she had the best choreography and the best costume.

But then again, Shizuka, yay! :rock:

I'll let everyone else worry about who has the best strategy for peaking at the Olympics. As for me, I just plan to enjoy the competitions one at a time.

Mathman :)

nymkfan51 said:
I'm curious Joe, as to why you seem happy about Irina not doing Campbells. I thought from previous discussions that you were from the "do every event you can" school.
I actually admired her for doing so much in spite of the conflict that it could cause with the more important competitions. However, her withdrawal of this cheesefest despite the money (which she needs) just makes me think she is determined to be tip top for the GPs, Russian Nats and Olys.

(I think she should also skip the Japanese one, too. that leaves Shizuka and Fumie doing everything. Hey, they know their bodies better than I do.)

Joe

screech

Final Flight
It sucks that Jeff withdrew. I was looking forward to it, but I'm happy Emanuel is taking his place. But Jeff just doesn't seem in the right place right now (based on a recent article), so maybe this is best for him.

I see the final line-up has 7 U.S. skaters and 6 from other countries -- not too bad for these affairs.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
janetb said:
She has the goods to place as high as 3rd, and has placed ahead of both Fumie Suguri and Shizuka Arakawa before in the long program. Nor do I think Kimmie Meissner or Emily Hughes are competition.

Last year Shizuka was breaking in new boots and had the weight of the World championship on her shoulders. After her disappointing placement at Worlds 2005, Shizuka's enthusiasm is back and she's working hard to regain her competitive edge. She's no pushover, and neither are Kwan and Cohen. I expect these three ladies to take the top 3 spots.

As for Kimmie and Emily, it all depends on how well they skate. Emily did medal at Junior Worlds last year, and she won a summer competition.

Fumie---well, she tends to peak later in the season and Joannie, mid-season, so Joannie might finish ahead of her.

IMO, Joannie is a pleasant skater, but somehow doesn't have the charisma of the top skaters (Fumie, Shizuka, Kwan, Cohen).

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
However, her withdrawal of this cheesefest despite the money (which she needs) just makes me think she is determined to be tip top for the GPs, Russian Nats and Olys.
Don't forget Euros - Russian Fed is more likely to let her skip Nats than Euros. Besides, that's where she can again make history by winning her umpteenth title.

Predicting anyone of these contestants as winner is for me not as important as watching what they are intending to do this year.

Joannie - looking for a good hold on her performance, otherwise she'll need a shrink.

Fumie - looking for a revitalized skater to make me think she's a contender for the big ones.

Emilie - looking for some graceful moves which were not there last season.

Kimmie - looking for the big jump cleanly landed without question and some mature style.

Shizuka - looking for a revitalized skater on the order of Dortmund Free Skate.

Michelle - lookking for a 3x3 any kind and know it will be there for the big ones.

Sasha - looking for a solid performance stressing some lyricism and not just the flexibility.

All the boys - looking for the attempted quad so I know it will be used in the big ones.

All the skaters - looking for their new programs at least the outline so that we can tweek them later on our posts aat GS.

And bear in mind - there is no Irina or Evgeni here.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
Don't forget Euros - Russian Fed is more likely to let her skip Nats than Euros. Besides, that's where she can again make history by winning her umpteenth title.

How many European titles has Slutskaya won? Has she beaten Bonaly and Witts records yet? IIRC Bonaly won 5 straight (and total) European Titles and Witt the same no? Was last years Irin'a 5th?

Ant

I guess I haven't caught Olympic fever yet. I am looking forward to the Campbell's Invitational as a great competiton among some of the brightest stars in the sport. Not so much in order to start analyzing skaters' strategies for the Olympics.

Who will be the best that night?