Final Lineup Confirmed for Campbell's Classic | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Final Lineup Confirmed for Campbell's Classic

R.D.

Record Breaker
vixen62025 said:
Fumie is pulling out of the Japan Cheesefest scheduled for Oct. 1 with a groin injury, and will probably have to pull out of Campbell's as well. Grrrrrrrrrrr!

Man. That's unfortunate.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
True, true Tony. She's good and just may hit that podium in Torino and who knows maybe skate a Sarah.

Joe

Yes! And same goes for the Japanese ladies and others waiting in the wings to take over Kwan, Cohen and Slutskaya.

I wonder if FS will be replaced (it's kind of late now)?

Zanzibar

Final Flight
It's official now - Brian Joubert has withdrawn from Campbells. The only good news is that it's not due to injury - it's the decision of his Federation :frown:

Michael Weiss will take his place.

Zanzibar said:
It's official now - Brian Joubert has withdrawn from Campbells. The only good news is that it's not due to injury - it's the decision of his Federation :frown:
Am I to understand that Brian wanted to skate but the federation said, no you can't? What possible reason could the federation have for not wanting Brian to skate at this event if he wanted to?

Brian has had all kinds of problems with the French Federation. They don't seem to have it together any better under the new guy than they did when Gailhuget was president.

What would happen if Brian said, nuts to you guys, I'm a skater, I'm going to skate?

Michael Weiss will take his place.
. Good for Mike. I hope he wins. :rock:

But this compromises the International aspect of the competition. Now there are only two non-American men, Sandhu and Honda. Gosh, I hope I don't have to admit that Joe has been right all along about these cheesy affairs. ;)

MM

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Am I to understand that Brian wanted to skate but the federation said, no you can't? What possible reason could the federation have for not wanting Brian to skate at this event if he wanted to? MM

That is correct. He is ready to skate (check out his French Master's results from last Saturday!), he wants to skate and he had every intention of coming. It is the refusal of his Federation to allow him to make the trip.

Even if he took an aggressive stance and tried to do it without their permission that would not work. For one, I believe he needs their approval for the travel visa. Secondly, he's already not their 'fair-haired' boy...safer not to provide them any ammunition.

It's really too bad. Brian could have won this and the money, too. But I think the French Fed will keep him happy money wise..

Campbell's is close to Skate America and to Skate Canada but far from the Bompard. It's not like Dec.Marshalls which is on top of everyone's Nationals.

Anyone think the future of the cheesefests will not be international?

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I don't think they'll become all-American or even all North American. I think it will depend on who is training in the US and doesn't have much of a commute and what GP events they've been invited to outside of North America.

R.D.

Record Breaker
luvsasha said:
what kindy of cheesy? i like cheedar myself.

:laugh: That's the same thing I think when I read these online posts, talking about "cheesefest"...

As for the international stars, all you can do is invite them. If they won't come, they won't come. We'll try to muddle along without them.

Not good for figure skating, but oh well, we have the Olympics once every four years. Maybe that will be enough to keep things going.

MM :frown2:

Vash01

Medalist
I am really disappointed. When I bought the tickets this competition had Plushenko, Irina, Joubert, Fumie. None of these skaters will be there. It is too late for me to cancel. It almost seems like a waste to go even though it has Michelle, Sasha, Weir.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Am I to understand that Brian wanted to skate but the federation said, no you can't? What possible reason could the federation have for not wanting Brian to skate at this event if he wanted to?

Brian has had all kinds of problems with the French Federation. They don't seem to have it together any better under the new guy than they did when Gailhuget was president.

What would happen if Brian said, nuts to you guys, I'm a skater, I'm going to skate?

Well i think the ultimate sanction would be that the French Federation could revoke his membership to the french skating federation which would make him ineligible to compete at french nationals and/or any quailfying competitions. A highly unlikely move on their part given he's their only real chance of a medal at the Olympics but, if you were Brian, would you want to call their bluff in an Olympic year? I would have thought given the problems Joubert has had with his federation he'd maybe want to retire after this year.

Mathman said:
But this compromises the International aspect of the competition. Now there are only two non-American men, Sandhu and Honda. Gosh, I hope I don't have to admit that Joe has been right all along about these cheesy affairs. ;)

MM

And what an interntional talent - Sandhu and Honda! I love Sandhu's skating but there's every probabilty that he'll open the program with a breathtaking 4/3 combo and then single, double or fall on the rest of his jumps. Bless him Honda has had the worst luck with injuries since the last Olympics and i don' think he's even going to make the Japanese team let alone be any kind of challenge this year :-(

Ant

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
It's really too bad. Brian could have won this and the money, too. But I think the French Fed will keep him happy money wise..

Campbell's is close to Skate America and to Skate Canada but far from the Bompard. It's not like Dec.Marshalls which is on top of everyone's Nationals.

Anyone think the future of the cheesefests will not be international?

Joe

Were they ever *really* international? I know that Irina has participated in most of them but its usually been a US competition with one or two non-american skaters thrown in so that the advertising can say "International figure skating event". To me it really doesn't matter whether its international or not since for the ladies the US have (for the most part) had three ladies capable of winning or medalling at worlds for the past 15/20 years. The men, on the otherhand have not been as successgul as the women and the competition there has sually been won by any internatioanl skater (if any). This year i think will be different story unless sandhu pulls a stunner out of the bag.

Ant