Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Lineup Confirmed for Campbell's Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    However, her withdrawal of this cheesefest despite the money (which she needs) just makes me think she is determined to be tip top for the GPs, Russian Nats and Olys.
    Don't forget Euros - Russian Fed is more likely to let her skip Nats than Euros. Besides, that's where she can again make history by winning her umpteenth title.

Predicting anyone of these contestants as winner is for me not as important as watching what they are intending to do this year.

Joannie - looking for a good hold on her performance, otherwise she'll need a shrink.

Fumie - looking for a revitalized skater to make me think she's a contender for the big ones.

Emilie - looking for some graceful moves which were not there last season.

Kimmie - looking for the big jump cleanly landed without question and some mature style.

Shizuka - looking for a revitalized skater on the order of Dortmund Free Skate.

Michelle - lookking for a 3x3 any kind and know it will be there for the big ones.

Sasha - looking for a solid performance stressing some lyricism and not just the flexibility.

All the boys - looking for the attempted quad so I know it will be used in the big ones.

All the skaters - looking for their new programs at least the outline so that we can tweek them later on our posts aat GS.

And bear in mind - there is no Irina or Evgeni here.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    Don't forget Euros - Russian Fed is more likely to let her skip Nats than Euros. Besides, that's where she can again make history by winning her umpteenth title.
    How many European titles has Slutskaya won? Has she beaten Bonaly and Witts records yet? IIRC Bonaly won 5 straight (and total) European Titles and Witt the same no? Was last years Irin'a 5th?

Ant

Yes, Irina tied Witt and Bonaly with her fifth win last year, IIRC.

I guess I haven't caught Olympic fever yet. I am looking forward to the Campbell's Invitational as a great competiton among some of the brightest stars in the sport. Not so much in order to start analyzing skaters' strategies for the Olympics.

Who will be the best that night?

Medalist

Campbells

Shizuka can easily win this competition if Kwan and/or Cohen botch their jumps. If it indeed goes to Shizuka, it will be:
    1. Arakawa
    2. Kwan (needs to have speed and higher-level spins, and land ALL jumps; no 3/3 needed but 6-triple program a must; 2 lutz, 1 flip, 1loop, 1 sal, 1 toe (or second flip), double axel)
    3. Cohen (no way judges will put Rochette over Cohen, but Fumie may kick Cohen out of top 3)
    4. Fumie/Rochette (interchangeable, Rochette did much better than Fumie earlier last season, but Rochette then self-destructed later in the season at Worlds)

Down With It
    I do think October is a bit early to start analyzing strategies for the Olys and predicting the Olys. We could try during the GP just for the sake of discussion. But I still believe that we have to wait until after nationals to really start the predictions, analysis, discussions, etc. about the Olys. I mean, in non-Olympic years discussion about the Worlds doesn't really start until after the Euros (however, to be fair, there is far less anxiety and anticipation in this case).

Arakawa does have a good chance at doing well here. I think first place could be between her and Kwan, depending on how they do and the moods of the judges (remember this is good old USA). But as far as Campbell's goes I won't even bother predicting what will happen. Too early.

JMO.

Custom Title
    Shizuka will not win this competition. She seems to be a late starter. Look to Kwan or Cohen to take this competition. What scoring system will be used? If 6.0, it will go to Kwan, if COP Sasha wins.

Too bad Irina isn't skating in this comp, it would have been an easy 50 Grand for her. She always skates great early in the season.

Go NJ Devils
    Slutskaya seems focused on the season, and, according to the news around the Russian Test Skate this week, she wants to keep her programs to herself until her competitive season begins, which is Cup of China.

If keeping them close to the chest helps her get an Olympic gold medal, that will be worth more than the 50K (less taxes, coaches fees, and Federation take) she'd earn from Marshall's.

Minority member
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb
    How many European titles has Slutskaya won? Has she beaten Bonaly and Witts records yet? IIRC Bonaly won 5 straight (and total) European Titles and Witt the same no? Was last years Irin'a 5th?

Ant
    She has won 6 which puts her in a tie with Witt and Henie. She has a chance to win her 7th Euro title and 9th euro medal which puts her ahead of everyone else.

Down With It
    If 6.0, it will go to Kwan, if COP Sasha wins.
    Nah, don't agree. There has not been a US-judged comp. with Kwan and Cohen in it that's been done under the Cop. (But Campbell's IIRC will be the first.)

If the judges were international I'd say it's possible, but otherwise I doubt it.

Custom Title
    Since Campbell's is an international line up of skaters, I would think they'd be using international judges -- they did last year. This year, however, will be CoP.

Posters seem to be banking on past performances.

When was the last time you saw Emilie skate in competition?

Do you really believe no one in that gang of 7 improved?

The choreographers completed their job; the dressmakers finished their work; the new boot have been broken in; the injuries have healed.

Enjoy the competition but don't believe it tells you everything. Look for skaters working on their previous faults and see if there is improvement - even in the skater who comes out last. Many of these skaters expect to be in the Last Six To Skate.

And there is no Irina or Evgeni in this little competition. We will have to wait some time before we see their game plan.

And don't rely on the various Nationals that will come up before Euros and 4CC.
    Can you see the USFSA sending Emile to the Olys? Maybe, but only if.

Joe

Custom Title
    Well I saw Emily's performance at Liberty. Her program is very COP friendly and she has a spin with a very unique entrance. Plus she's as flexible as Sarah Hughes so she's easily getting into the Biellman position. Her jumps weren't that great at Liberty but since that was just an early competition for feedback, I highly doubt she really cared whether she landed the jumps or not. It looked like she was going easy on them. I still stand by my prediction that Emily will get that 3rd spot.

I think the judges might start turning on Sasha if she is still 2 footing everything like she was last season, but the 2 footing was a Nicks strategy that worked out well for her.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast