Fusar-Poli Margaglio set to compete in Torino | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Fusar-Poli Margaglio set to compete in Torino

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Yeah the reinstated skaters got atleast what they deserved in 94. They deserved 1-2 in pairs, as sorry as I feel for Brasseur/Eisler having to face two legendary teams coming back in what would have been their likely shining moment. The phenomenal Torvil/Dean of course were magnificent in the OD and free dance and probably should have won the dance; I would have loved Usova/Zhulin to have won more than 1 World title in their career, and an Oly gold somewhere, many years I thought they were underrated, but I just didnt like their skating as much in 94, their relationship woes tarnished the sincerity and sensuality of their skating IMO. As for Gritschuk/Platov :mad:. Witt was not propped up with outrageous artistic scores to make her a real contender, which she wasnt since she didnt have the technical content anymore(actually even in her prime she didnt do what skaters by 94 would be doing)to compete with the leaders. Boitano and Petrenko were certainly not propped up in the short programs to keep them in medal contention when they faltered, Browning was so disaesterous that was not even an option probably. Some reinstated pros like Witherby/Wynn(the latter reinstated), Roca/Sur(unusual circumstances I know), Savard/Bradet(Canadian pair who would make 98 Olympic team, win 97 nationals, were contenders for 2nd or 3rd spot on Canadian Oly team in wide open race in 94)missed out on even qualifying for the Olympics, though they were certainly contenders to do so. So no unneccessary gifts for the reinstated pros, to say the least.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Stuck-up you say?

Someone said Babs is dramatic, not stuck up. Maurizio is charming in person, at least to this unimportant fan, but Babs was a total snot. No, I am not poking fun at her Roman nose, but her. QEII is more humble! But then, the dancers are Russian divas or wannabees. I have to say Shae Lynne and Tanith still have humility despite there talents. Now B&K---that's what I wish we could see again -so versatile and reasonable costumes, too.

Maurizio could step on my toes anytime. :yes:

boggartlaura

On the Ice
Bijoux said:
Now B&K---that's what I wish we could see again -so versatile and reasonable costumes, too.
Have you seen their original 00/01 OD costumes? Nothing reasonable about Shae's costume.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IMO, Barbara FP is the #1 arrogant diva of Ice Dance, bar none.

But I never thought Shae Lynn was an ingenue, either. B&K's years of griping and sniping got me sick and tired of them, too. The way to get the judge's marks is to earn them by skating better than the other teams, not whining about bias (even when it's true). They finally figured that out and won their World Championship.

I thought Anissina/Peizerat were the best-matched, in terms of skill, of all the top teams, and to me they were always a standout, even when they made mistakes. What I didn't like was their Olympic FD, but then I hated Lobacheva/Averbuch's even more, and FP-M's "I Will Survive" was abominable. I thought even with their yukky FD, Anissina/Peizerat were the class of the class, and they deserved their OGM.

Kuchana

On the Ice
Hmm....I'm actually happy in a way that they're coming back. But I'm also wondering how much of a chance they have at a medal???? I would glady have them win over N/K anyday.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
dwiggin3 said:
If I were ranked, say 2nd or 3rd in my country and the announcement that a formally retired team/skater was coming back just for the Oly, It would infuriate me. And no, I don't mean that in such a way as to say that anyone was or is entitled to that position, but it just smells of unfairness/unsportsmanlike behavior - for lack of a better wording.

Darby
As previously stated, the #2 team is coached by Barbara :laugh: Now, I wonder if Barbara is compromising her integrity to win by purposely giving the team she is coaching bad advice...I mean, they're no longer just her students, but her competition, as well.

Of course, I doubt the Italian federation would send them to Torino without being in first place, so I think both the #1 and #2 teams need to worry. They (Italian federation) wants to send a message to the world that this team is still a contender, and the only way to do that is to ensure them a national title.

CDMM1991

Medalist
Does the Italian Federation have one or two spots at Olys? Because if there's only one, then I think this is a definitely an issue. Though I have a feeling they have two :cool: not sure about that though.

sk8m8

Final Flight
Gag me with a Babs...I gues "I Will Survive" was more of a threat than a statement :unsure:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Italy has two places. Cut-off is 28 points for two/top two teams. Faiella/Scali finished 9th. Aureli/Vaturi finished 24th, which means they get 16 points for qualifying for the Free Dance.

hockeyfan228 said:
Italy has two places. Cut-off is 28 points for two/top two teams. Faiella/Scali finished 9th. Aureli/Vaturi finished 24th, which means they get 16 points for qualifying for the Free Dance.
Hockeyfan - Do you think Barbara has the power to influence the Italian Fed and have them select Aureli/Vaturi over Faiella/Scali?

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
NO WAY would the Italian federation send Aureli/Vaturi instead of Faiella/Scali. It would be like sending Jenny Kirk (before she quit) to the Olympics instead of Sasha Cohen.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I don't know about that. In theory you're right, but given how few ITALIANS actually watch the Italian Nationals, I imagine they can pretty much get away with putting anyone on that team that they want to, for whatever reasons, with few being any the wiser. Given the fact that Cinquanta's probably got a hand in things, who knows??

Sk8swan

On the Ice
Sending Aureli&Vaturi would be totally ridiculous. There is no way it's gonna happen and I wouldn't see Barbara pushing for it either!