Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Fusar-Poli Margaglio set to compete in Torino

Go NJ Devils
    I always wished that it was Fusar-Poli who had teamed up with Sergei Sakhnovski.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop
    I don't think this is an issue of "Barbara taking the lead" or of "sharing"; Barbara is a considerably better SKATER than Maurizio. Period.
    The topic is chit chat because they're back!

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Regardless of todays' sexism, I am most comfortable watching a couple where the male partner has the lead.
    Interesting. Traditional ice dance is one where the male partner is basically there to present his partner; audience is actually supposed to watch her more. Personally, I've always prefered the style championed by Bestemianova & Bukin, where partners are far more equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    Interesting. Traditional ice dance is one where the male partner is basically there to present his partner; audience is actually supposed to watch her more. Personally, I've always prefered the style championed by Bestemianova & Bukin, where partners are far more equal.
    That's exactly what I am saying - he takes the lead in showing her off!! In classical ballet he is called a Danseur Noble.

It's just that in the team we are talking about I didn't see him showing her off. She was too busy showing herself off, and yes when you get a good lead partner together with a good follow partner, you have the equality needed to make beautiful music. (I think it is more than JMO.)

Joe

SkateFan4Life
    That's exactly what I am saying - he takes the lead in showing her off!! In classical ballet he is called a Danseur Noble.

It's just that in the team we are talking about I didn't see him showing her off. She was too busy showing herself off, and yes when you get a good lead partner together with a good follow partner, you have the equality needed to make beautiful music. (I think it is more than JMO.)

Joe
    Exactly. Barbara spends most of her time showing herself off to the judges and the audiences so that her partner has little opportunity to do his traditional job of showing her off! I just don't like the way she performs - just a personal choice, of course. IMHO, she is overly aggressive, emotes far, far too much, and just acts as if the whole thing is HER show.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life
    Exactly. Barbara spends most of her time showing herself off to the judges and the audiences so that her partner has little opportunity to do his traditional job of showing her off! I just don't like the way she performs - just a personal choice, of course. IMHO, she is overly aggressive, emotes far, far too much, and just acts as if the whole thing is HER show.
    Well it is *HER* show
    (you need a queen icon).

How is DIvaBabs any different from DivaNavka? When Navka is on the ice, the only time I ever notice Roman is when he trips on something.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Well, yeah, but if you put Kostamorov up against Margaglio in a skate-off, I think Kostamorov would win easily.

So this could bring up another debate -- does Barbara emote so much and steal the show to compensate for Maurizio's shortcomings, or does she prefer having a partner who isn't able to skate as well as she so she can be the star of the show.

Ptchika -- From a pure choreographic standpoint, I agree with you regarding Bestemianova & Bukin. However, IMO, Natalia was one of the All Time Ice Dance Drama Queens (and I mean this as a compliment, as they're one of all my all-time favorite dance couples) and it was really hard NOT to focus all your attention on to her, skilled as Andrei was. Personally, I think the most "equal" partnerships seen would have to be Torvill & Dean, Bourne & Kraatz, and Rahkamo & Kokko.

SkateFan4Life
    B & B were an outstanding ice dance team, and even though Natalia was very dramatic and played everything to the hilt, Andrei was also good at emoting and bringing characters to life. Remember their free dance at the 1988 Olympics?

As for Barbara - perhaps she just wants to be the star, plain and simple, and she's happy to skate with a partner who lets her shine on the ice. To each his or her own taste.

Custom Title
    Elena Grushina is the star of the Grushgons, too. She is the more skilled skater and sometimes it shows.

Sergei Sakhnovsky is the better skater of the ChaSaks, though.

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    IMO, I think Galit and Sergei are pretty much equal in their abilities.

Banned

Thumbs down an uneven couple...

Babs can dance, Maurizio can't keep up, but the costumes are bound to amuse our costume threaders. Look for an unfair bronze again in Italy, this time, I'm afraid politics and the status quo may still prevail at the Olys Dance contest.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bijoux
    Babs can dance, Maurizio can't keep up, but the costumes are bound to amuse our costume threaders. Look for an unfair bronze again in Italy, this time, I'm afraid politics and the status quo may still prevail at the Olys Dance contest.
    I'll be if Italy comes away with gold medals in dance and ladies singles. If there will be any politicking, it will be Speedy pushing for his teams in exchange for the Russian pairs and men. I personally would like to see a different country on the podium besides Russia and the US.

I truly believe that after Torvahl and Dean, no sports fan takes Dance in skating seriously. It's fun though, and the podium is always obvious in the preceding June.

Joe

I truly believe that after Torvahl and Dean, no sports fan takes Dance in skating seriously. It's fun though, and the podium is always obvious in the preceding June.
    Last Olympics, it was not clear at all who would take the top spot. FP&M went in as reigning world champions, and B&K as Grand Prix Final winners.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    Last Olympics, it was not clear at all who would take the top spot. FP&M went in as reigning world champions, and B&K as Grand Prix Final winners.
    Plus Lobacheva & Averbukh skated the programs of their careers (IMO) and narrowly lost the OGM.

As to podiums being set in June, I think this is the one thing CoP has rid us of. If you'd told me in June of 2004 that Deloebel/Schoenfelder would have been on the Euros podium, and Belbin/Agosto were going to win the World silver, I would have asked for some of what you were smoking. This is not a critique one way or the other of the abilities of these couples, I just would not have expected these results personally.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast