New (somewhat depressing) Jeff Article | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New (somewhat depressing) Jeff Article

I'm not so sure of Johnny's quad. It's there I saw it but it tends to scare him (JMO) and I do not think he will take the risk and screw up his lyricism for a jump he is not 90% sure of.

I think the same with the Jeff (both lyrical skaters). At the present time, I think Jeff is just going through some bad hair days. Once he hits that perfect practice routine, he'll get the confidence back. But will he risk taking a quad? Who knows?

Back at the European Ranch we have 3 excellent skaters who will take the risk and maybe 4 (Lindemann) if he is on.

In America we have only Emanuel and Michael who will take the risk, both of whom have had their problems.

And whatever you think of the CoP, imo, a quad for men and a bielman for the ladies is most essential to get PCS scores high.

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

Ogre Mage said:
Jeff's dilemma reminds me of Kristi Yamaguchi's in 1992. She couldn't do the 3axel like Midori Ito and Tonya Harding and in the media many seemed to think she would get buried because she didn't have one. So she concentrated on getting a 3/3 combination and perfecting her presentation. Of course, the men's event is more jump-centered. But CoP rewards the complete program more than 6.0.

Not only did Kristi Yamaguchi not have a triple axel, she also had a very shaky triple salchow - her nemesis jump - which she repeatedly fell on in competition after competition. However, her overall presentation and technique was just outstanding. :clap:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Ogre Mage said:
I fear that sudden success has put an undue amount of (both internal and external) pressure on Jeff, similar to what Arakawa suffered in 2005.
Yeah. I thought the same.

Me think the pressure is off Johnny this season compare with Jeff and Evan. It looks Johnny may do better than either of them this season.

Last edited by a moderator:

JOHIO2

Medalist
Except for making the world podium, Johnny has done better than both Evan and Jeff in the past two years. Jeff is right that some of his "wins" were dubious, but they were "wins." Maybe he just can't believe he should get a good placement if everything isn't perfect. He'll have to get over that if he ever wants to enjoy his wins. It's definitely a mind and attitude problem he should work on. Here's hoping it doesn't keep getting in his way. I love watching him skate.

mumboman

Rinkside
I've seen Jeff land both 4s and 4t, I would expect to see one of them in the free program, but he probably won't take the chance in the short, which will turn out to be a smart decision. Skate Canada has put pressure on it's athletes since the beginning of time and they have all coped in the past. Lee Barkell is an amazingly patient coach who will have Jeff together when it matters.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think that Jeff is right in thinking that he could have won the Moscow WC against Lambiel if he had had a quad and skated better. LOL, on the other hand so could have done also many other skaters.... Moscow results cannot give much hint what might happen in Olympics, because there Plushenko was injured and had to withdraw, Joubert self-destructed and Weir was injured.

Jeff should be very, very happy about his WC silver medal, because I don´t think such "luck" in form of other skaters injuries and failings will happen to him a second time.

I agree with others that it would be better for Jeff to get all his other triples (triple axel) really consistent than practice a quad now.

Jaana said:
I think that Jeff is right in thinking that he could have won the Moscow WC against Lambiel if he had had a quad and skated better. LOL, on the other hand so could have done also many other skaters.... Moscow results cannot give much hint what might happen in Olympics, because there Plushenko was injured and had to withdraw, Joubert self-destructed and Weir was injured.

And Lambiel will give us at least 2 quads (1 in combo) or maybe a new quad on it's own making it 3 quads. I think watching him at Euros will tell us more about Lambiel.

I have a very strong feeling that the gold medal winner at the Olys will also be crowned "The Quad King".

Joe

millie

Medalist
I wouldn't get upset over the article in the Toronto Star. I know from experience that the media can twist words to sound exactly how they want to sound. At the present time Jeff is seeing a physiotherapist for his hip. If there is anything to be concerned about, either physically or mentally, Jeff has to put this behind him. There is going to be a lot of pressure this year, Jeff knows the significance of an Olympic year. He has to try to get over it and keep practicing, pressure or no pressure.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Both Brian Orser and Elvis Stojko gave Emanuel Sandhu some seasoned advice about the Olympic year - Stay away from the press!!! Perhaps, they should pass this advice on to Jeff as well.

I was unable to access the article, but from some of the comments it sounds rather negative. I hope Jeff does not take it too seriously.

Jeff does not need the quad to prove what a magnificent skater and music interperter he is. He transcends all the jumpers with his amazing choreography.

screech

Final Flight
Ladskater said:
Both Brian Orser and Elvis Stojko gave Emanuel Sandhu some seasoned advice about the Olympic year - Stay away from the press!!! Perhaps, they should pass this advice on to Jeff as well.

I was unable to access the article, but from some of the comments it sounds rather negative. I hope Jeff does not take it too seriously.

Jeff got some advice from the best! He hung out with and learned lots from Kurt, Yags, Sale/Pelletier, etc this spring, and they helped him learn how to approach this season (while Yags and Kurt also supposedly helped him with some of his jumps).

The article wasn't exactly an article ON Jeff, it was more of a combination of an interview/article. Jeff mentioned himself how the quad is kinda sucking, and the pressure from Skate Canada, that he now thinks he 'lost the gold' at worlds... those were his words. The only thing the article itself mentioned that wasn't all Jeff was that Jeff skipped one of 3 on ice sessions that particular day to see a physio about his hip.

Joesitz said:
Why not? Big jumps mean more than PCS from what I've seen.
And there is also the Zayak factor. A quad counts as a different jump as a triple. So for instance you can do a quad toe/triple toe, then later on do a solo triple toe and get credit for all three. If you don't have a quad, you're Zayaked out, and you have to eek out your jumping passes with a couple of double axels, like Jeff did in Moscow.

Mathman

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I think if Lambiel, Joubert, and Plushenko, all skate reasonably well, even with some mistakes, they will have no problem shutting quadless Weir and Buttle off the medal podium in Turin; although some people claim Weir "is much more likely" somehow to have a quad than Buttle. I will believe that when I see it. Lysacek or Lindemann repeating their bronzes of the last two Worlds would be a huge miracle in Turin. Plushenko is the favorite if he is healthy, but all the men have injuries issues to some extent, it will be interesting to see how the season develops.