Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New (somewhat depressing) Jeff Article

IIRC MM Johnny actually has a fairly solid quad. So it's just Jeff we'll have to be worrying about quad-wise. I'm really hoping the pressure doesn't get to him.

As far as I know, Johnny has never landed a quad in competition. I believe that he has only attempted it once -- in the spring Marshall's after Worlds last year. He completed the rotations, but couldn't hold the landing.

To me, Jeff is the strongest "complete package" skater, except Plushenko if he is healthy. But the CoP really rewards quads (properly so, IMHO). We'll see.

MM

SkateFan4Life
    IMHO, Jeff needs to perfect his triple axel so that he can skate gorgeous long programs with 7 or 8 triples, strong choreography, and musical interpretation. He fell on his triple axel at Worlds, and quite frankly, I think he was scored generously by the judges to win his silver medal. Make no mistake about it, Jeff is a top-notch figure skater and definitely an Olympic medal contender, but he needs to get all of his triples honed to the nth degree. Having a quad certainly would help his cause, but many of the top men who have quads don't land them cleanly in competition, and/or they make mistakes on some of their triple jumps, so they do not skate clean programs. Jeff's musical interpretation and style are superior to some of the men who have quads, IMHO, and that will earn him some points with the judges.

It's sad to read about Skate Canada putting so much pressure on Buttle to win, win, win. Give the guy a break! Jeff seemed to skate with so much joy in previous seasons, and if he's under the gun from his national skating association, some of that joy may go right out the door.

In my view, perhaps the Canadian skating officials see Jeff as their chance to "finally" win an Olympic gold medal in men's figure skating. They've come close a number of times - Don Jackson (bronze in 1960), Toller Cranston (bronze in 1976) Brian Orser (silver in 1984 and 1988), and Elvis Stojko (silver in 1984 and 1998), but never the top spot.

Ice Angel
    Every skater, espesically world competiter feels the pressure. It's not that only Jeff feels. If he really can not get the quad, can he work on 3 axel combos and get all the other triples comsistent and flowiy? From his last year's performance at world I feel that he hasn't truely mastered all the triples. On the other hand he had great program, music, and presentation.

Jeff's dilemma reminds me of Kristi Yamaguchi's in 1992. She couldn't do the 3axel like Midori Ito and Tonya Harding and in the media many seemed to think she would get buried because she didn't have one. So she concentrated on getting a 3/3 combination and perfecting her presentation. Of course, the men's event is more jump-centered. But CoP rewards the complete program more than 6.0.

I fear that sudden success has put an undue amount of (both internal and external) pressure on Jeff, similar to what Arakawa suffered in 2005.
    Last edited by Ogre Mage; 09-25-2005 at 12:04 AM.

I'm not so sure of Johnny's quad. It's there I saw it but it tends to scare him (JMO) and I do not think he will take the risk and screw up his lyricism for a jump he is not 90% sure of.

I think the same with the Jeff (both lyrical skaters). At the present time, I think Jeff is just going through some bad hair days. Once he hits that perfect practice routine, he'll get the confidence back. But will he risk taking a quad? Who knows?

Back at the European Ranch we have 3 excellent skaters who will take the risk and maybe 4 (Lindemann) if he is on.

In America we have only Emanuel and Michael who will take the risk, both of whom have had their problems.

And whatever you think of the CoP, imo, a quad for men and a bielman for the ladies is most essential to get PCS scores high.

Joe

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre Mage
    Jeff's dilemma reminds me of Kristi Yamaguchi's in 1992. She couldn't do the 3axel like Midori Ito and Tonya Harding and in the media many seemed to think she would get buried because she didn't have one. So she concentrated on getting a 3/3 combination and perfecting her presentation. Of course, the men's event is more jump-centered. But CoP rewards the complete program more than 6.0.
    Not only did Kristi Yamaguchi not have a triple axel, she also had a very shaky triple salchow - her nemesis jump - which she repeatedly fell on in competition after competition. However, her overall presentation and technique was just outstanding.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre Mage
    I fear that sudden success has put an undue amount of (both internal and external) pressure on Jeff, similar to what Arakawa suffered in 2005.
    Yeah. I thought the same.

Me think the pressure is off Johnny this season compare with Jeff and Evan. It looks Johnny may do better than either of them this season.
    Last edited by mzheng; 09-25-2005 at 05:42 PM.

Sal-Kowabunga!
    Except for making the world podium, Johnny has done better than both Evan and Jeff in the past two years. Jeff is right that some of his "wins" were dubious, but they were "wins." Maybe he just can't believe he should get a good placement if everything isn't perfect. He'll have to get over that if he ever wants to enjoy his wins. It's definitely a mind and attitude problem he should work on. Here's hoping it doesn't keep getting in his way. I love watching him skate.

Rinkside
    I've seen Jeff land both 4s and 4t, I would expect to see one of them in the free program, but he probably won't take the chance in the short, which will turn out to be a smart decision. Skate Canada has put pressure on it's athletes since the beginning of time and they have all coped in the past. Lee Barkell is an amazingly patient coach who will have Jeff together when it matters.

Custom Title
    I think that Jeff is right in thinking that he could have won the Moscow WC against Lambiel if he had had a quad and skated better. LOL, on the other hand so could have done also many other skaters.... Moscow results cannot give much hint what might happen in Olympics, because there Plushenko was injured and had to withdraw, Joubert self-destructed and Weir was injured.

Jeff should be very, very happy about his WC silver medal, because I don´t think such "luck" in form of other skaters injuries and failings will happen to him a second time.

I agree with others that it would be better for Jeff to get all his other triples (triple axel) really consistent than practice a quad now.

Hey, Mumboman. Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting.

Mathman

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana
    I think that Jeff is right in thinking that he could have won the Moscow WC against Lambiel if he had had a quad and skated better. LOL, on the other hand so could have done also many other skaters.... Moscow results cannot give much hint what might happen in Olympics, because there Plushenko was injured and had to withdraw, Joubert self-destructed and Weir was injured.
    And Lambiel will give us at least 2 quads (1 in combo) or maybe a new quad on it's own making it 3 quads. I think watching him at Euros will tell us more about Lambiel.

I have a very strong feeling that the gold medal winner at the Olys will also be crowned "The Quad King".

Joe

Custom Title
    So, if Tim Goebel is healthy, he might be the new men's OGM?

Custom Title
    I wouldn't get upset over the article in the Toronto Star. I know from experience that the media can twist words to sound exactly how they want to sound. At the present time Jeff is seeing a physiotherapist for his hip. If there is anything to be concerned about, either physically or mentally, Jeff has to put this behind him. There is going to be a lot of pressure this year, Jeff knows the significance of an Olympic year. He has to try to get over it and keep practicing, pressure or no pressure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast