Men - Short Program - Notes & comments | Golden Skate

Men - Short Program - Notes & comments

Rosaleen

Medalist
Note: The following reports are copyright Golden Skate. Please, while you may provide links to reports, do not copy & paste them elsewhere. Thank you.

Sorry for the delay, but the internet connection in the media room at the arena stopped working around 4:00pm today (just before the events started) and so I had to wait until I got back to the hotel to post my reports from today.

Since I'm posting all my notes in one batch for each event - there's no need for a separate thread for any of your comments. This is my 1st event of the year, so my eyes weren't as quick as they could have been and I might have missed something. I do have the detailed protocols so if something looks really wrong or you have questions, I'll check them out and try and answer for you. There's no information sheets to tell me what the music is, so if I recognize it (or think I do) I'll note it, but there weren't many I recognized tonight

Start# Cntry Skater Name

1 CAN Joey Russell
grey shirt with purple sheen, yellow tie, grey pinstripe pants / some nice movement to sax & big band sounding busic / 3s landed low held off putting hand down 2t / ftwrk 3z under rot fell forward / flysit with nice tuck & low pos travelled in a circle / S ftwrk / camchcam good pos to partial layover on back / nice ina into 2a right on change on beat of music / O ftwrk is ok and with music / very nice combo spin to end / pretty well skated program but there seemed to be a little lacking in his connection to the music / tech 20.49 comp 23.87 tot 43.36

2 GER Philipp Tischendorf
blue-purple on one leg grey on other with gold jumpsuit - very nice & effective but hard to describe / 3f2t / 3z turnout but stayed on one foot / fly sit fell on landing / strt ftwrk had some nice twizzles but in general was a bit weak / camchcam had a hop on change to keep balance / 2a stepped down on 2nd foot very fast / combo spin had some nice pos but a hop on change and almost lost it another time / O ftwrk ended the program - had ok speed but quite simple . / pb 51.51 tech 19.78 comp 20.87 tot 39.65

3 FRA Jeremy Prevoteaux
dark navy with white & light blue flame effect on one side and arm / moonlight sonata? / some nice movement to start / good speed into 3z fully rot but fell / fly sit - didn't see fly but spin had good pos but slow / 3f turnout foot down 2t / music is very flowey now for O ftwrk that is ok but just seems a bit off with the music / cam chcam front is nice hopped on back and almost lost it / 2a is a bit shakey on landing but clean / combo spin to end is good with nice outside edge on back sit / tech 18.04 comp 19.83 tot 36.87

4 CAN Jamie Forsythe
dark navy with silver jagged line down arm across chest and down leg / 3l2t out of travelling 3's / popped z - bad pick / camchcam is nicely centered with good pos / strt ftwrk is with music and nice change of levels / spread eagle into 2a with step out / spin that I only saw the end of / very nice ina bauer / music is four seasons - I think / O ftwrk is quite good and fairly complex / very nice combo spin to end that finished after his music / tech 19.00 comp 23.21 tot 42.21 /

5 USA Craig Ratterree
moonlight sonta? Or do I just have it on my brain - not sure / 3a hung on 2t / 3z is very nice - lovely air pos / camchcam good speed & centering free leg pos needs to be extended better / now some really loud electric guitar for S ftwrk that has some really neat moves / and I just missed a spin / strt ftwrk had some nice twizzles but he seemed to be coming out of them earlier than he should possibly losin gbalance a bit / 2a / very nice combo spin to end / he really moved well with his music and used his whole body in the footwork sequences / tech 28.45 comp 26.06 tot 54.51

6 USA Austin Kanallakan
dark brown pants & vest over orange shirt / 3f3t hand down on toe / ftwrk right into 3z / cam chcam very good speed & pos on front not quite as good on back / interesting fast & fairly complex strt ftwrk right with music / flysit - didn't see fly, sorry / 2a / O ftwrk again is fast & quite complex & with music - bit of slip right in front of judges - if any fault could be found it would be that both ftwrk sequences were to almost identical music & beat / combo spin to end was well done - went to outside edge on both front and back sit portion / well-skated program - he moves very well across the ice and uses his music well / tech 26.27 comp 22.28 tot 48.55 /

7 ITA Marco Fabbri
black with silver S shape on one side of top and sleeve / 3t3t fell out of 2nd one / popped z / he needs to work a bit on his posture - shoulders are hunched / flysit had very nice fly - spin a bit slow / music slows and spread eagle turn 1a / cam to outside edge back cam to inside edge in bent leg pos but fell out of it / S ftwrk good detail & with music / combo spin - had trouble on end of front half getting very slow / pb 40.87 tech 16.27 comp 19.00 tot 35.27 /

8 FRA Kim Lucine
black with short sleeved top / 3f3t tight on toe but hung on / concerto D'aranjou / didn't see a spin / 2a / slide spiral to start O ftwrk some nice levels but seemed a bit rough / 3z very low on landing bu theld it / camchcam ending in donut / strt ftwrk again used multiple levels / combo spin to end is quite good / he seemed to be trying to raise the difficulty of his program but hasn't quite mastered it yet / pb 41.66 tech 28.81 comp 21.91 tot 50.72

9 CAN Patrick Chan
black with red seqins on shoulders & upper back / tango - same as last year? / high flysit with nice pos variation and good speed / 3t3t ? Not sure of 1st jump just saw it on replay and think the 1st jump was a flip / S ftwrk moves well with music / his speed is great / pick slipped going in on z and didn't get off ice / back cam ch cam with outside edge very good speed & pos / flew into 2a / strt ftwrk has good sequences on 1 foot / combo spin is fast & well centred with inside edge on sit / over music by 1 second - finished behind it / pb 53.24 tech 26.28 comp 26.54 tot 52.82 /

10 RUS Daniil Gleichengauz
beige top with darker beige design brown pants / familiar epic music /ftwrk 3z / 3f fell got up & did a 1t / S ftwrk some very nice curvey deep edges in there / 2a / flysit high fly but trouble on spin / strt ftwrk - nice levels and edges / cam chcam to donut - nice centering & pos speed is a bit slow / combo spin is ok / tech 21.29 comp 22.47 tot 42.76

11 MEX Miguel Angel Moyron
black pants & top with gold sparkles on top / concerto D'anajou / 3z 2ft fell think the rotation might have been there, not sure / 3t2t / flysit didn't get much tuck - spin was ok if a bit short / O ftwrk is a bit simple but quite well done / 2a / back cam donut sit to inside edge to back sit to layback / strt ftwrk moves fairly well / cam ch cam to donut is a bit slow until donut, pos are ok / he's still one of the weaker skaters at this level, but has improved a lot since last year / pb 35.34 tech 17.77 comp 17.56 tot 34.33 /

12 JPN Takahiko Kozuka
purple shirt with turqoise insets & yellow circles down one side / he's grown a lot in the last 3 years / 3a fell - fully rotated - he did a nice one in practice earlier today / 3z / strt ftwrk really moves and has nice detail / fly sit great fly to outside edge & mushroom / nice easy 2a / cam ch cam beautifully centered a tiny bit slow on back / S ftwrk is with music and has some nice features / combo spin sit ch sit to A to back sit to mushroom ending in fast scratch - very nice spin / pb 42.87 tech 27.12 comp 25.98 tot 52.10

13 JPN Yukihiro Yoshida
cream top with beige pants vertical stripes in top match pants / drums start music / strt ftwrk is interesting to watch / tano 2z / cam almost lost it at start ch cam is slow good pos / music is now harmonica - moon river / didn't really see combo jump think 3t2t / combo spin is centered with some nice pos / 2a is high / high fly sit had trouble at end of spin / S ftwrk is very but not much detail / tech 20.03 comp 21.47 tot 41.50

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Rosaleen said:
5 USA Craig Ratterree
moonlight sonta? Or do I just have it on my brain - not sure /
Yes, the version of Moonlight from Beethoven's Last Night. Ratterree's FS music is listed in his USFS bio as "Gettysburg, Command and Conquer."

6 USA Austin Kanallakan
dark brown pants & vest over orange shirt /
Music is from the soundtrack of "Once Upon A Time in Mexico." His bio just says "Bach" for the FS music.

As for the U.S. ladies... don't know Sandy Rucker's music and Megan Oster's is "Nights in White Satin" (instrumental) by The Moody Blues (SP); "Death Theme from 'The Untouchables' " by Ennio Morricone and "Czardas" by Giovanni Marradi (FS).

Thanks a lot for your notes, Rosaleen!