Am I too old for figure skating? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Am I too old for figure skating?

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Karen-
I love chocolate too! I just try and limit what I eat of it. If it's not in the house I don't eat it. As for fried rice(or anything fried) I can pass on that easily. ;)

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
So instead of having a lot of chocolate, have one piece of REALLY GOOD chocolate. Ditch the Mars Inc. crap and invest in at the least a bar of Ghiardelli bittersweet, and just have a piece (the bittersweet bar sold in the baking aisle breaks neatly into half-ounce chunks.) Too rich to want to eat more than a little, twice the chocolate satisfaction in flavor. Plus darker chocolates are high in antioxidants.

Can't help on the fried rice. Don't order Chinese! My personal downfall is potsticker dumplings. Can eat WAY too many of those.

karenurate

Rinkside
haha yEah and I'm gLad y0u undErstAnd my sitUati0n. i guEss I`LL jUst tRy n0t t0 L0ok At th0sE t0 av0id thE tEmptAti0n. :)

tripleflutz

On the Ice
If you just want to learn to skate for fun, with an eye towards someday being expert. Your age doesn't matter, many people take up skating as an adult, I did, just get out there, and when you get your legs under you and can cruise around the ice reasonably well, start taking some lessons from a pro to learn the proper technique for stroking, crossovers, skating backwards, skating with a partner, and such, leading up to spins, and spirals. Once you have some instruction, it becomes a question of how much time you spend on the ice refining your skills. At the very least, its good excersize and a lot of fun, so good luck and have fun.

Last edited:

karenurate

Rinkside
tripleflutz thank you so much!!! I've started my first practice last sunday [it's monday here in the philippines] and it turned out pretty good.

Although it was my FIRST time walking on the ice, I can now stand and balance a BIT and meeeeeeeeeeeeen, the ice are soooo good.

Spiral_Marty

Spectator
older skaters

I know this post is slightly out-of-context, but it's more aimed at older skaters in general than Karen specifically.
I used to feel the same about my age when I first started skating in January (I was almost 14), but If you really love skating and are prepared to work hard(and fall hard!) then go for it. My coach started when she was 29 and I've seen lots of old ladies at the rink, but I think that most teens are too self-concious to try something new when there are kids 10 years younger than them who are better.As for dieting, nutrition and exercise, start out slow, don't do anything drastic, you don't want to be torturing yourself, and it's a well-known fact that tortured people don't skate very well. :)

karenurate

Rinkside
Spiral_Marty: yeah thanks. you're right, tortured people don't skate very well... I should be in good shape everytime I skate. :)

dlkksk8fan: :) I can imagine my older self skating too... haha, everytime I watch the skaters skate, I feel like flying.... :)

Spiral_Marty

Spectator
^ ^
If the 1964 in your username is the year you were born then you're not thatold, younger than my parents anyway.(though I guess thats not saying much.)

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Spiral_Marty said:
^ ^
If the 1964 in your username is the year you were born then you're not thatold, younger than my parents anyway.(though I guess thats not saying much.)

It does. I'll be 41 next month. :agree:

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
As a "tortured old lady" approaching the hag age of 44 in a few months, I've been skating for almost 2 years. During that time, I've dropped 60 pounds using the South Beach Diet, on & off-ice exercise, portion control and willpower. Going from a size 22 to a size 8 was the greatest moment! (yes, I still eat chocolate & ice cream-otherwise-what's the point of living?)

My next goal is to get my single jumps, great height on my waltz jump, and I'm almost there. After that, I plan on getting one or two doubles, which I believe is possible within a few years (it would be sooner if my rink stayed open during the summer)

I take 2-3 off-ice training classes per week, as well as skate 10 hours per week. I don't mean social skating "gossiping with the girls"....I am on the ice working on moves.

I have 3 major chronic illnesses, which the docs have told me would lay me up by the time I was 50. I am hoping to get in their face and prove them seriously wrong (or die trying-but you won't get me without a fight)!:rock:

My question is: how hard are you willing to work for your dream? How bad do you want it?

icedream

Rinkside
i started skating when i was almost 14 and now i'm 17. skating is awesome and i think you should try it out as soon as possible! :clap:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Skate@Delaware-
wow you are such a inspiration! YOU GO GIRL!:clap:

I'm two years up on you in age and have only one disease to deal with, but I keep on going too. As a young girl I was never able to get a chance to pass my first skating test. But 30yrs later I have achieved that goal by passing my first adult test-pre bronze MIF & Freestlye. I'm working on my bronze test and getting my first skating program.

Keep on working hard and have fun!

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Skate@Delaware said:
(yes, I still eat chocolate & ice cream-otherwise-what's the point of living?)

Amen, sister! What is the meaning of life without chocolate? Or ice cream? (Or chocolate cake with ice cream, nature's perfect dessert...)

And of course if I didn't skate at least ten hours a week, I couldn't eat any of that!

karenurate

Rinkside
Yesterday was my SECOND time on ICE.

I skate once a week. Yes, only once a week because i can't afford it. I work and I save my allowance.

I skated for 4 hours with several breaks. I fell 4 times and I got 1 little wound.

now I can SKATE.... fast. And I can even glide now too! :)

And the best part? I flew..... :)

wow, i can never forget that feeling....

I will take formal lessons on summer, but for now, I have to concentrate on my studies, and skate once a week for practicing so that when I take the formal lessons, at least I know how to skate already... so I can focus on doing the "moves"... beautiful moves...

The skating rink is very very FAR from where I live so I have to commute and I have NO company so I have no one to gossip with. :biggrin:
But that's a good thing 'coz I get to concentrate. I'm alone when I skate.

But on summer, I'm gonna get a coach... :)

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
really long post as I blather on about stuff

dlkksk8fan, congrats on passing your tests!!! I have yet to take my pre-bronze tests (didn't realize those back inside edges were supposed to curve in such a way!) I'm also getting a program put together for some competitions! Yay! Finally moving from show skating to the competitve world (although I'm still doing shows-can't stop show business!)

karenurate-I'm glad you flew today! I try to fly everytime I hit the ice....although sometimes my 'flights' end up in a small 'crash' at the end:biggrin: but I keep trying!

Once you get a coach, and actually get "homework" and goals you will find even more focus to your skating. Although, sometimes, it's just fun to hit the rink and skate for fun with friends-just mess around on the ice.

You will find a new batch of skating friends when you skate more often-drop into a freestyle session (or do what I do-the less crowded daytime sessions if you can) and make friends with the people there. I have skating friends ages 7-60+ and they are the best! Especially when they realize that your goals are the same as theirs and you try just as hard as they do, they will be friendlier (and not so competitive-minded).

This was something I noticed when I started skating at my rink; it took a bit before I was totally accepted as I was the first adult figure skater to join the club and to skate on freestyle ice. I was met with the attitude "what is she doing here" but when they saw me trying and working hard, they accepted me. I didn't hide in the corner all the time (only at first) I talked to everyone and got to know them (I talk a lot).

I'm signing off now-been skating for almost 4 hours today and I'm bushed....we had show rehearsal (which was way cool because the routine has some neat moves and I am on the end of the kick line again), then my family went skating (and we started breaking in my boy's hockey skates), then my husband and I stayed for adult skate. My body will pay tomorrow....ouch. I really need a massage (and chocolate:love: !)

karenurate

Rinkside
Skate@Delaware: YOU'RE SUCH AN INSPIRATION

Skate@Delaware said:
dlkksk8fan, congrats on passing your tests!!! I have yet to take my pre-bronze tests (didn't realize those back inside edges were supposed to curve in such a way!) I'm also getting a program put together for some competitions! Yay! Finally moving from show skating to the competitve world (although I'm still doing shows-can't stop show business!)

karenurate-I'm glad you flew today! I try to fly everytime I hit the ice....although sometimes my 'flights' end up in a small 'crash' at the end:biggrin: but I keep trying!

Once you get a coach, and actually get "homework" and goals you will find even more focus to your skating. Although, sometimes, it's just fun to hit the rink and skate for fun with friends-just mess around on the ice.

You will find a new batch of skating friends when you skate more often-drop into a freestyle session (or do what I do-the less crowded daytime sessions if you can) and make friends with the people there. I have skating friends ages 7-60+ and they are the best! Especially when they realize that your goals are the same as theirs and you try just as hard as they do, they will be friendlier (and not so competitive-minded).

This was something I noticed when I started skating at my rink; it took a bit before I was totally accepted as I was the first adult figure skater to join the club and to skate on freestyle ice. I was met with the attitude "what is she doing here" but when they saw me trying and working hard, they accepted me. I didn't hide in the corner all the time (only at first) I talked to everyone and got to know them (I talk a lot).

I'm signing off now-been skating for almost 4 hours today and I'm bushed....we had show rehearsal (which was way cool because the routine has some neat moves and I am on the end of the kick line again), then my family went skating (and we started breaking in my boy's hockey skates), then my husband and I stayed for adult skate. My body will pay tomorrow....ouch. I really need a massage (and chocolate:love: !)

Thank you! And you're very good in dealing with people. I know you'll do well! I will follow your advice and work as hard as I can! :)

CHOCOLATES ROCK!