Daria pics & Boston Open Results | Golden Skate

Daria pics & Boston Open Results

She's a cutie.

I see Daria got three first place ordinals. It's kind of interesting to see the old "majority of ordinals" scoring system in use. I finally mastered that, but I never did get OBO :laugh:

MM :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
she doesn't look like Sergei at all, does she????

she's such a beautiful young lady... it's hard to not think of her still as that toddler skating with Scott Hamilton in Snowden on Ice :laugh: she was such a cutie then....

will we be seeing her someday competing in the olympics? :agree:

IDLERACER

Medalist
Tonichelle said:
she doesn't look like Sergei at all, does she????
I assume you're being silly. In the picture that results from that 3rd link, it looks like somebody pasted his face on to her head.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Daria....

I think Daria looks more like her father than her mother, Katia (unfortunately). To be honest, I'm surprised Daria isn't a top skater considering her talented parents. Katia was world champion at the age of 14 or 15 wasn't she?

Dizzy

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
dizzydi7 said:
I think Daria looks more like her father than her mother, Katia (unfortunately). To be honest, I'm surprised Daria isn't a top skater considering her talented parents. Katia was world champion at the age of 14 or 15 wasn't she?

Dizzy

Katia was,when she skated pairs.
There are less jumps, and less jump difficulty in pairs. At least there was in the 1980's.
Katia and Sergei were a rarity winning so young.

Dasha just turned 14, and she has plenty of time to become a top skater. It sounds like she's on top in her division, though. :)

soogar

Record Breaker
dizzydi7 said:

Dizzy

I think it would be difficult to be Daria and just skate for fun with all the expectation that she will be a top skater like her parents. She's just a juvenile skater yet because of who she is, she gets discussed on boards. I'm not knocking that , but keep in mind that kids at that stage are just skating for fun and not necessarily the Olympics. I also get the impression that a lot of Russian skaters don't want their kids to go into the sport seriously. Katia and Ilia have said in interviews (I'm paraphrasing) that Daria skates for fun and it would be her choice if she wanted to skate seriously. Katia has alluded in interviews that devoting herself singlemindedly to her sport eliminated a lot of options for her in terms of career, schooling etc. Sasha Abt has said that his son Makar is really smart and he wants him to go to college instead of skate.

I think of all the top level retired Russian skaters, only Artur's son seems like he is being groomed for serious competition.

I think Daria is a lovely skater and she has talent. However having the talent with the mental focus, parental support and correct physique is a rarity, even if both of your parents ore OGMs.

Julie O

Rinkside
Well stated, Soogar. :agree: Daria is herself, and even with OGM parents and step-father, she will progress at her own speed, no matter what pressure is exerted by the skating world.

Julie

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
IDLERACER said:
I assume you're being silly. In the picture that results from that 3rd link, it looks like somebody pasted his face on to her head.

not so much silly as just stating the obvious.... :yes:

lulu

Final Flight
soogar said:
I think it would be difficult to be Daria and just skate for fun with all the expectation that she will be a top skater like her parents. She's just a juvenile skater yet because of who she is, she gets discussed on boards. I'm not knocking that , but keep in mind that kids at that stage are just skating for fun and not necessarily the Olympics.

Excellent point Soogar. :rock:

I think of all the top level retired Russian skaters, only Artur's son seems like he is being groomed for serious competition.

Just curious-what has made you say this?
He has only been skating for a very short time-and I'm sure, like most kids his age-it is mostly for fun. Which is absolutely wonderful. Because trying to follow in the footsteps of your World Champion/Olympic parents is very difficult burden.
In interviews with Dmitriev. he mentions that it is his son's decision whether he wants to skate or not. (Please note: I am not saying that you are saying that it isn't.) It also sounds as if his son is involved with/enjoys, hockey & soccer. So, right now-it sounds as if he is just skating for fun and hopefully enjoying it.

I think Daria is a lovely skater and she has talent. However having the talent with the mental focus, parental support and correct physique is a rarity, even if both of your parents ore OGMs.

ITA
Whether any of these kids become figure skaters, I hope that they are happy with whatever career they choose-whether it is in the spotlight or not. :)

Skating is a difficult sport under the best of circumstances.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
CzarinaAnya said:
Dasha just turned 14, and she has plenty of time to become a top skater. It sounds like she's on top in her division, though. :)

Actually Daria just turned 13 (born on Sep 11, 1992). I did not get the impression from results that she is on top in her division? I understood that in final standings she was 10th out of 12 skaters. That was though great that out of 31 juvenile girls competing there, she made the final. One has to remember and to put in perspective though that in this competition participated only a very small scattering out of all her peers around USA...

I agree that Daria has plenty of time to improve her skating, but future will show if she has the talent and will-power to become a top skater.

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
lulu said:
Just curious-what has made you say this?
He has only been skating for a very short time-and I'm sure, like most kids his age-it is mostly for fun. Which is absolutely wonderful. Because trying to follow in the footsteps of your World Champion/Olympic parents is very difficult burden.
In interviews with Dmitriev. he mentions that it is his son's decision whether he wants to skate or not. (Please note: I am not saying that you are saying that it isn't.) It also sounds as if his son is involved with/enjoys, hockey & soccer. So, right now-it sounds as if he is just skating for fun and hopefully enjoying it.

I get the impression (concerning Artur's son) that Artur Jr is a very talented skater and is being groomed to be a champion. I've never see him skate, but I heard that Artur Jr was the youngest competitor at 11 in the Novice division (which is high level for a skater his age, most kids at 11 are still Juvenile) and Artur had a serious injury on the ice that required a lot of stitches and he's just coming back from that. Keep in mind that I don't follow Artur's skating seriously so this is just stuff that I've read on the boards. Probably someone else more familiar can fill you in on Artur Jr.

Still of all the retired skaters' kids, it seems like Artur Jr. is making the most strides in following in his father's footsteps, though he is still a very long way.

Last edited:

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Jaana said:
Actually Daria just turned 13 (born on Sep 11, 1992). I did not get the impression from results that she is on top in her division? I understood that in final standings she was 10th out of 12 skaters. That was though great that out of 31 juvenile girls competing there, she made the final. One has to remember and to put in perspective though that in this competition participated only a very small scattering out of all her peers around USA...

I agree that Daria has plenty of time to improve her skating, but future will show if she has the talent and will-power to become a top skater.

I was going from memory, and 91' kept seeming right to me.

I was just going by what Tonichelle, said when she spoke of 1st place ordinals. I must have misunderstood, and thought placements. Can't always be perfect. :frown2:

lulu

Final Flight
Thanks for responding Soogar.

Actually, he skated at the intermediate level last year. Which is still very young for someone his age. In general, boys tend to progress slower than girls. Also, he has only been skating for a very short period of time.

I don't think we should have any expectations one way or the other about anyone's future in skating. Skating is a difficult sport and a lot can happen. People can have both dramatic improvements or they can just get "stuck"-and hit a platau. There is also the issues of injury, changing body, and simply not being as interested anymore.

The most important thing is that they have fun with their skating.

I enjoy seeing Daria & Artur skate, they both are adorable kids with tons of charisma on the ice :rock:
But I also feel really uncomfortable analyzing anyone's skating, at this age group/skill level, regardless of whether it is a positive analysis or a negative analysis.
Now, maybe this makes me a hypocrite :scratch: Because maybe you can say that if you get the opportunity to skate in shows etc, you should also get a chance to have your skating analyzed more.

Hopefully people will just enjoy the fact that they enjoy skating, and not compare them to their OGM parent, or have too high or low of expectations.
Hopefully, skating is just one of many fun activities at this point in their lives. :)

Last edited:

Jhar55

Medalist
Maybe she only skates for fun to keep being compared to her parents. If Daria does go on to serious skating it wouldn't be fair to her if everyone alwyas compared her to them and thinking she should be better or more advanced than she is. I guess I always thought some one 12 or 13 were in already in juniors because some move up to senoir level at 14, and junivelle or intermediated levels. I learned something new about skating today, Thank You. :thumbsup:

Bijoux

Match Penalty
makes me sad

While I love Ilia as a skater, Dasha, so like her father makes me long to see another G/G. All the Chinese incredible tricks don't replace how Katia skated for Sergei, how she looked. One georgeous man. I can't think of many men more manly, yet beautiful. So sad. :frown:

Last edited:
I have a hard time not thinking of Daria still looking like the little tyke in the Snoweden specials. I can't believe she's 14 and growing up!!!
Thanks for sharing the links to the photos!