Z/Z did a perfect quad throw in competition! | Golden Skate

Z/Z did a perfect quad throw in competition!

hongligl

Final Flight
Don't know if it is posted here or not, but Z/Z of China did a perfect throw quadral sal in the National Game of China. I saw a clip, it appeared as easy as a triple to them.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Zhang/Zhang, the 3rd chinese pair. But who won this chinese nationals and last world's bronz.

I read in a chinese board a while ago. They were practicing quad twist. There was that one time when Bin Yao walked in just during they practicing the quad twist. Bin Yao yelled at girl Zhang, your pick too weak......I guess by the time of Olympics, they should have both quad throw and twist......

Talk about chinese pairs. I still remember couple of season ago, they were widely critisized by fans on internet that their throw and twist like throw a bag of potato....seems judges don't mind give them higher tech marks for these throws and twists. And coaches and athletes from other country don't mind, imited on their throw 'Biger' and twist 'Higher'......Indeed the sports is evolving, new standard kept being setup.

Chinese pairs :rock:

Last edited by a moderator:

anniemg

Rinkside
Well she's so tiny and strong...I'm sure they can do it. Then again, I thought S/Z could have landed it at the Olympics as well but didnt. The nerves will always be a factor.

mzheng

Record Breaker
anniemg said:
Well she's so tiny and strong...I'm sure they can do it. Then again, I thought S/Z could have landed it at the Olympics as well but didnt. The nerves will always be a factor.
She (girl Zhang) is not tiny. I believe she is the bigest one amoung the girls in top 3 chinese pair.

soogar

Record Breaker
After the crap that happened at Worlds when T&M accused the Zhangs of deliberately crashing into them, I'd like to see the Zhangs kick their a$$es.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
soogar said:
After the crap that happened at Worlds when T&M accused the Zhangs of deliberately crashing into them, I'd like to see the Zhangs kick their a$$es.

Ditto! However, since Alexei Tikhnov spoke up in defense of the Zhangs, I'd like to see him and his partner do well in Olys, also.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
Talk about chinese pairs. I still remember couple of season ago, they were widely critisized by fans on internet that their throw and twist like throw a bag of potato....seems judges don't mind give them higher tech marks for these throws and twists. And coaches and athletes from other country don't mind, imited on their throw 'Biger' and twist 'Higher'......Indeed the sports is evolving, new standard kept being setup.

The other Pairs men may be aiming for height, distance, and fast rotation in their throws, but I can't think of a single man I saw at Worlds use the high kick upon throwing the woman, and that is what the Chinese men are criticized for. The judges seem to have decided not to deduct for this, and while I understand that this technique is so ingrained in muscle memory, I don't know how it helps the throw from the standpoint of physics.

The criticism on the twist is that the men do them on two feet and the women don't do a big split. Practically no men do the twist on one foot, so they're not the only ones being criticized, and the de-emphasis on the split has been codified into CoP, where anything over 90 degrees can help get a higher GOE, but it isn't expected.

soogar

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
The criticism on the twist is that the men do them on two feet and the women don't do a big split. Practically no men do the twist on one foot, so they're not the only ones being criticized, and the de-emphasis on the split has been codified into CoP, where anything over 90 degrees can help get a higher GOE, but it isn't expected.

I'm not up on my pairs technique, but where does this split occur? I see all the Chinese women do a split (while they are on the ice, I guess it looks like an abbreviated spiral) before they are launched into the twist. Is that the split that's supposed to happen or is there another one I'm supposed to look for?

Re Attfan: I'm rooting for the PetTikhs to get a medal as well.

hongligl

Final Flight
attyfan said:
Ditto! However, since Alexei Tikhnov spoke up in defense of the Zhangs, I'd like to see him and his partner do well in Olys, also.

Me too! I like Pv/Tv best among the three russian teams. O/S second.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
The split occurs in the air on the way up into the twist. It used to be the standard that the split was an approximation of a real split, if not 180 degrees, but 90 degrees seems to be the minimum now.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
soogar said:
It sounded more like Vasiliev's idea than T&M's. He had already decided that Zhang was too aggressive in the warmup. (Given Vasiliev's own reputation for aggressiveness when he was a skater, is it "takes one to know one" or projection?) The collision happened quickly, and T/M weren't even watching until the last second. To have come all that way only to be potentially wiped out in the warm-up must have been pretty creepy and her pain was real, but how much of the description was theirs and how much was what Vasiliev observed?

Vasiliev made a statement earlier in the year about having enemies in China. Chicken or egg?

I love the Zhangs, but having seen them both live at Worlds over the last couple of years, they aren't comparable to T/M when it comes to edges, flow, and ice coverage. (Although I think she has beautiful arms and hands, and they are my favorite Chinese pair. I was disappointed to read on FSU that Pang/Tong have a beautifully choreographed LP, and the Zhangs' is just okay.)

mzheng

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
Me too, I've been warming up to this team in last couple of seasons, their personality and skating.

mzheng

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
I love the Zhangs, but having seen them both live at Worlds over the last couple of years, they aren't comparable to T/M when it comes to edges, flow, and ice coverage. (Although I think she has beautiful arms and hands, and they are my favorite Chinese pair. I was disappointed to read on FSU that Pang/Tong have a beautifully choreographed LP, and the Zhangs' is just okay.)

Well, from what I read in chinese (an interview with Bin Yao) and translated Rusian article. most international judges and Rusian experts think Pang/Tong is the most 'artistry' team amoung top chinese pairs. Peggy's opinion as well.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
Well, from what I read in chinese (an interview with Bin Yao) and translated Rusian article. most international judges and Rusian experts think Pang/Tong is the most 'artistry' team amoung top chinese pairs. Peggy's opinion as well.
That is their reputation, but it's mostly because of Tong. Dick Button called him the "Nureyev" of skating. I would love to see him paired with Julia Obertas and have Moskvina retrain him on throw technique and give him that extra ounce of polish.

mzheng

Record Breaker
He's ice dancer before skated as pair. The thing this team lack is the consistancy. Especially Tong. Pang is coming along nicely last couple of years. Most chinese fans likes Pang the most. According to them in person, she is the most stylish one. Guess it just took time for her to develop, this pair will 'glow' presentation wise, I believe, especially Pang. They are the most "quite"/"inwards"/"shyish" (lack of words from my english repository) pair amoung all Bin Yao's pairs. From my observation this type personality often a late blooming.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think Pang & Tong have a potential to be even more loved in the West than S&Z. For a Western eyes, P&T are more beautiful (from a conventional, not skating perspective), and I think it's important for the love of Western audience.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
I think Pang & Tong have a potential to be even more loved in the West than S&Z. For a Western eyes, P&T are more beautiful (from a conventional, not skating perspective), and I think it's important for the love of Western audience.
Agreed.

mzheng

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
I was disappointed to read on FSU that Pang/Tong have a beautifully choreographed LP, and the Zhangs' is just okay.)
Just read from a chinese board that Sarah Kawahara is Pang/Tong's choreographer this season.