Z/Z did a perfect quad throw in competition! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Z/Z did a perfect quad throw in competition!

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
Guess it just took time for her to develop, this pair will 'glow' presentation wise, I believe, especially Pang. They are the most "quite"/"inwards"/"shyish" (lack of words from my english repository) pair amoung all Bin Yao's pairs. From my observation this type personality often a late blooming.
Pang/Tong were the featured skaters that appeared at the "farewell" dinner of the tour I took to Worlds last year. They are being groomed to court US audiences by their management. I have to admire how two shy people took on a crowd of crazy North Americans in English. They were both lovely.

CDMM1991

Medalist
hongligl said:
Don't know if it is posted here or not, but Z/Z of China did a perfect throw quadral sal in the National Game of China. I saw a clip, it appeared as easy as a triple to them.

Does anyone have a video of this competition?

mzheng

Record Breaker
CDMM1991 said:
Does anyone have a video of this competition?
I went there too late. They pulled off all their pairs National clips off the line. And the members were warn not to circulate the clips to international because they all need to keep secret.....lol. seems now adays FS programs become top secret.

But read from the board, sounds like Pang/Tong indeed improved a lot presentation wise. They need to nail the jumps, especially Tong, he doubled two of his triple. Toe in combo. Sal in sbs.......Sounds like they take the rule change positively, it motivated to meet the new chanlange. They heard nothing, absolute nothing before the official rule change, even one of their senior international judge for ISU heard nothing about it before hand.....But now when asked, they take it as a new chanlenge, said it's good and necessary to advance the sport, push athletes.

But BinYao brought up an interesting point, that the points assigned to throw quad is too low, IHO. It was 8 points for a throw quad (the one Z/Z performed), but at least 9 points for a quad in single. Yet there are only two of team can perform throw quad but at least 10 single skaters in the world can perform quad..

Last edited by a moderator:

Hikaru

Final Flight
soogar said:
After the crap that happened at Worlds when T&M accused the Zhangs of deliberately crashing into them, I'd like to see the Zhangs kick their a$$es.

You know I resented those comments toward Z/Z, and I really like T/M, but when they and their coach started these accusations of the Zhangs crashing with them on purpose, it really bothered me, 'cause they are not the type to do that. Plus, if any pair chose to crash against the bigger threat, then they would have crashed to S/Z. I felt really bad for Z/Z to be accused like that, but I'm sure they have already put that behind them.

Going back to topic, it would be interesting to compare O/S quad twist against Z/Z quad twist... I would give the edge to the latter.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I hope this isn't too off topic. Are the two Zhangs related? Or is it just a coincidence?

Hikaru

Final Flight
Grgranny said:
I hope this isn't too off topic. Are the two Zhangs related? Or is it just a coincidence?
No, they are not related, so it is just a coincidence.

hongligl

Final Flight
I couldn't download the vedios but even I could I wouldn't post it as the source restricts the distribution of those vedios. But from what I read in the chinese board, Pang comes a long way since last year, she nailed both triples (one is new to her) and her presentation now finally matches that of Tong's. Their two programs are highly praised by the viewers, described as exquisite. I know there are some profassionals in dancing in that forum and they were pretty picky on Pang. Now it seems that all are convinced that Pang/Tong are truely artistic and as they observed Pang/Tong are more polished, paying attention to every details and there are more connection and communications between them. Both Pang/Tong and Zhang/Zhang have upgraded their difficulties a lot. I can't wait to watch their new programs, seems that I have something to expect this year finally after Shen/Zhao withdrew. I also want to see Russian's Pv/Tv and O/S(mostly O), and the German pair. As for T/M I don't care what they have, not my class. Their coach even said he does not believe Hongbo really tore his Achilles Tendon. He said it is probably just a propaganda to confuse other contenders :no: :no: :no: I feel pity for these people.

emma

Record Breaker
hongligl said:
Their coach even said he does not believe Hongbo really tore his Achilles Tendon. He said it is probably just a propaganda to confuse other contenders :no: :no: :no: I feel pity for these people.

If this is true, then I just lost a lot of respect fo that coach.

I still am so heartbroken about not seeing Shen and Zhao compete this season (compete fully, I still have hopes about at late season appearance)....I just love them so much and wanted one more season to watch them. Anyway, having said that, this news about the Zhangs and the developments with Pang and Tong is really exciting. I can't wait to see their new programs!

S

SkateFan4Life

The bar is really being raised farther and farther, isn't it? Hopefully, Z & Z won't injure themselves with this move. It's spectacular, for sure, but it's certainly risky. Oh well, the sky's the limit!

Ptichka said:
I think Pang & Tong have a potential to be even more loved in the West than S&Z. For a Western eyes, P&T are more beautiful (from a conventional, not skating perspective), and I think it's important for the love of Western audience.
I'm not so sure about that. I think North American fans also appreciate huge athletic throws and the like.

When Shen and Zhao first came on the scene, I couldn't believe my eyes at how far he could toss her. :rock: Then after several years they started to develop the artistry to go along with it.

That was OK, too, I guess. :)

Mathman

hongligl

Final Flight
emma said:
If this is true, then I just lost a lot of respect fo that coach.

I still am so heartbroken about not seeing Shen and Zhao compete this season (compete fully, I still have hopes about at late season appearance)....I just love them so much and wanted one more season to watch them. Anyway, having said that, this news about the Zhangs and the developments with Pang and Tong is really exciting. I can't wait to see their new programs!

I read the info in English from chinese forum (people there feel this outrageous, including me). I asked for the source of the article, and I then double checked. It is an interview they (the three) gave to 'LIGTHHOUSE' broadcasting station, and it is translated and posted in TM's website: http://icestory.narod.ru/english.html. I went to their website for the first time and post this link here just to verify the reliability of the info, nothing more than that.

Last edited:

lochness

Spectator
mzheng said:
She (girl Zhang) is not tiny. I believe she is the bigest one amoung the girls in top 3 chinese pair.

In fact the girl Zhang looks to me like she's probably the tallest pairs skater ever. At 5'6" (I'm guessing/approximating here, but based on her height relative to others) she looks too tall to be a pairs skater. Although she is rather lean of build, so I'm sure that aids in her technique.

lochness

Spectator
Hikaru said:
You know I resented those comments toward Z/Z, and I really like T/M, but when they and their coach started these accusations of the Zhangs crashing with them on purpose, it really bothered me, 'cause they are not the type to do that. Plus, if any pair chose to crash against the bigger threat, then they would have crashed to S/Z. I felt really bad for Z/Z to be accused like that, but I'm sure they have already put that behind them.

Going back to topic, it would be interesting to compare O/S quad twist against Z/Z quad twist... I would give the edge to the latter.

I thought Z/Z only had the quad twist?...although now that you mention it I dimly recall reading something in the past about their having done a quad twist in junior competitions. I can't remember if it was them, but I believe so.

I wonder what Moskvina and O/S think of all this. ;) No doubt they've heard the same info we have. I suppose the saying "anything can happen" is true but I think we're already seeing how the 2010 Olympics may shape up...I just don't see any other potential pairs to challenge them on the horizon.

lochness

Spectator
hongligl said:
Their coach even said he does not believe Hongbo really tore his Achilles Tendon. He said it is probably just a propaganda to confuse other contenders :no: :no: :no: I feel pity for these people.

:rofl: Where was Vasiliev when JFK was shot :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: My what an amateur conspiracy theorist.

Do you have a source link for that? It actually seems quite out of bounds even for him.

jasperx

Rinkside
TO hongligl and Zhang:I'd love to share pangtong and zhangs' new programs(both sp and lp)with u,and thanks for keeping posting information here to let everybody know what really happen here in china and all those hard work our beloved chinese sakters do for coming olympics season,just add me to your msn list:[email protected].
I'm sorry that i have to say no to the others who want to see all tese 4 programs,I hate to keep them secrects because they r all truely beautiful,but like Oleg told us: chinese r russian skaters'"enemies".they don't want chiese skaters know any detail about their pairs' new programs,so the rule has already been set .
LET'S SEE WHAT OLEG SAID ABOUT HONGBO'S INJURY:
Oleg Vasiliev: 'I've heard that he has torn 'achille'. But I do not believe completely this information. Probably, it is a propaganda trick to confuse contenders. Or it is a problem of a last year's injury because of which the skater withdrew from the world championships in Moscow.'

Last edited:
lochness said:
:rofl: Where was Vasiliev when JFK was shot My what an amateur conspiracy theorist.

Do you have a source link for that? It actually seems quite out of bounds even for him.
I wouldn't call it a conspiracy theory, but at this point, it seems to me to be hearsay. We'll wait until the facts appear or disappear.

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
jasperx said:
TO hongligl and Zhang:I'd love to share pangtong and zhangs' new programs(both sp and lp)with u,and thanks for keeping posting information here to let everybody know what really happen here in china and all those hard work our beloved chinese sakters do for coming olympics season,just add me to your msn list:[email protected].
It's Zheng. :) Thanks for the offers. But I don't have msn account or use msn. I'm going to wait until SA and SC (Pang and Tong will be there right?). I read from that site, originally Z/Z planned reveal the throw quad at SA. I took it still on plan?

Pang and Tong were very well received on the U.S. Champions on Ice tour last summer. They did not hold back on the tech (as many skater tend to do in their exhibition-style numbers), and skated with elegance and grace.

The year before, Shen and Zhou were with the tour. They closed the first act with Turendot, leaving not a dry eye in the house.

Mathman

jesslily

Final Flight
I feel Zhang&Zhang are more lovelier and approachable than the Russian top pair. And their jumps and all the technique aren't much less than the Russian couple. If tZhang&Zhang run a perfect clean program with throw quad they should win.