Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Japanese Vid of Mao throwing a quad LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by attyfan
    IIRC, didn't Tara Lipinski once say that there was something about the torque on the loop jump that caused her hip injury? If so, does anyone know if it is inherent in all loop jumps, or if it is something specifically connected to combinations?
    According to Oxford American .... the torque creates of force causing rotation. I would presume that she worked on the torque constantly as she practiced at least 20 3x3r a day. It took its toll.

I think if a skater is working on a 3x3r that a sufficent amount of practice would bring the required result but Tara was driven.

btw. both the loop and the salchow require edges before take off and the take offs are always questionable. they are much more difficult than a toe loop or flip.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    According to Oxford American .... the torque creates of force causing rotation. I would presume that she worked on the torque constantly as she practiced at least 20 3x3r a day. It took its toll.

Joe
    IIRC, in a interview she said she did 50 3r/3r a day because the OGM was all she wanted.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    The size of the body won't keep Mao from hurting herself. Tara was tiny (and still is), yet practicing the 3L/3L destroyed her hip. It's the torsion caused by rapid rotation in the air that puts a strain on the hip flexors, not falling out of the jump.
    I think it was different with Tara. Tara claimed to be doing MANY 3r/3r a day so that there was virtually no possibility of mistake. I get the sense that the Japanese in general know when too much is too much in terms of pushing themselves and training. When I visited Japan to play piano there I was surprised at how in general the Japanese students didn't practice a lot. Instead, they practiced extremely efficiently.

I read an article once about how Miki Ando would practice after school for two hours, like it was any school girl extracurricular activity. However, she won Junior Worlds off of it, meanwhile, years ago the commentators were proclaiming Tara's rigorous 7-hours-a-day training regimen.

So in short, I'm not too worried about Mao's quad loop.
    Last edited by brinababy87; 09-28-2005 at 06:17 PM.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan
    IIRC, didn't Tara Lipinski once say that there was something about the torque on the loop jump that caused her hip injury? If so, does anyone know if it is inherent in all loop jumps, or if it is something specifically connected to combinations?
    I've been getting a sore hip from doing double loops. I think it's just the jump.

Custom Title
    http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...S3BDGV47AQQX4P

New video (very small) showing practice teasers of Japan Challenge. Little Mao looks great and Shizuka is spinning very well. Enjoy.

Thanks, Soogar. I can hardly wait! I wonder what they are saying.

MM

PS. Don't forget, everybody -- spoilers go in the Events folder under "Various International Events."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3