Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Vid of Mao throwing a quad LOOP

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hongligl
    add my welcome here to qlepf. I believe I had watched just a clip of the girl and she has really lovely style. She won the first junior competition this year. Good for her! I assume she is old enough for the olympic?
    Unfortunately she is not which is why she's staying in juniors for this season. I really dislike these rule changes because I think it's too much to ask an athlete to wait four years for another Olympics. In terms of injury prevention, it's not as if people are never going to get injured just because they raised the age limits. The juniors are still doing triples.

Nice going glepf. Your english is better than mine.

I believe edge jumps cause strain on two parts of the body - loop it's the hip; salchow it's the groin - toepick jumps take the strain away from edge jumps.

The strains of these jumps come from intense takeoffs - usually cheating as much as possible; and incomplete landings - usually cheating by more than a quarter of a turn. And of course, no flow in or out. All this hip and groin problem occurs in over practicing these jumps.

But, if winning is everything then, ya gotta do em.

Joe

Custom Title
    Wellcome, qlepf. Your english is better than mine.
    I totally agree with what you said. She might just not like smile a lot for the sake of smile.
    I've watched last JWC from a tape. Yu-na actually has more natural presentation skill then Mao. Both of them are great at jumps, light with eaze. Heard she is younger than Mao? Since Mao is in senior GP this season but Yu-Na still has to stay in JGP?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff goldblum
    In fact, you seem to have better English than a lot of people on this board. So far, it looks like only one person has even spelled your user name right.
    Well, I got the Q right. Do I get partial credit?

According to their biographies on the ISU site, both Mao Asada and Yu-Na Kim just turned fifteen this month. Asada's birthday is September 25, 1990 and Kim's is September 5, 1990.

Happy birthday, young ladies! :birthday: :birthday:

Mathman

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggygirl
    Glad you posted!! ...
    Great perspective!! And I love Yu-Na's debut programs for the season!! She is a very lovely and talented skater.

DG
    Just wanted to say I totally agree!!

I was basing my impressions on an article posted on a GS thread in July or August, not just Yu-na's facial expressions haha. The article said that she was basically skating all the time, and barely ever got to see her friends, and wasn't very happy with the way she was living her life.

Custom Title
    Qlepf and Kerklandas, welcome on the forum and thanks so much for the info about Yu-Na!!! I saw her skating in Helsinki JGP finals and really loved it, as well as that of Mao Asada. It will be really great to watch their skating this season (kind people are providing video clips...). I was very impressed by Yu-Na´s recent short programme and freeskate from Bratislawa.
    Last edited by Jaana; 09-28-2005 at 03:36 AM.

Rinkside
    Who the hell did the translation?

Anyway, thanks for your welcome I really appreciate your compliments.
    And I know qlepf is strange name..

Yu-Na is practically the only Kroean skater of international level. Naturally she'll feel a lot pressure, and I hope she doesn't train excessively for the sake of her health. Though it's really nice to see her win.

Korea is extremely good at short track speed skating on contrary to figure skating. Both are 'skating' and still big gap.. of course I know they are totally different, but always feel sorry for that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mzheng
    I've watched last JWC from a tape. Yu-na actually has more natural presentation skill then Mao. Both of them are great at jumps, light with eaze. Heard she is younger than Mao? Since Mao is in senior GP this season but Yu-Na still has to stay in JGP?
    I've been following both Mao's and Yu-Na's skating for a few years now, and both were wonderful to watch in person at Junior Worlds this past March and have lots of potential for development. I believe it was Yu-Na's (her team's/Korea's) choice to keep her on the JGP this season because I would imagine she would have received a Senior Grand Prix invitation like Mao Asada otherwise. It will be interesting to see if they end up having a rematch at Junior Worlds in Slovenia next March.

Thanks to qlepf and kerklandas for their info in this thread. BTW, many of the translated Korean to English articles I've read on Yu-Na Kim over the past few years were published in the English version of donga.com.

Thank you for the insights, Kerklandis, and welcome to Golden Skate. Yes, Korea has been a powerhouse in both mens and womens speed skating for a long time. It's cool that now they have a champion figure skater on the horizon.

I do hope, though, that arrangements can be made so that Yu-na will be able to attend school while she trains. In the U.S. many elite skaters rely on private tutoring and home schooling. Sometimes this works out fine, but I think they miss out on normal social interaction with friends if they take this route. It is a tough decision for skaters and their parents.

Mathman

Rinkside
    [QUOTE=soogar
    I personally feel that the Japanese fed/media know that these vids will be posted and discussed online in the offseason and it seems that they are hoping to "psyche" out their opponents. Shiz's vid shown 4 views of her Biellman (like I don't see enough Biellmans in Irina's program) and now they're showing Mao's 4 loop.
    UNQUOTE
    This vid does not have such implication / intension. This vid is of a TV news program broadcast through Japan, and the TV station made this vid introducing Mao.
    This TV station is going to broadcast a figure skate event, “Japan International Challenge (JIC) 2005”, to be held on the coming Saturday in Tokyo. Mao will perform in exhibition in JIC. So it was just for publicity purpose that the TV station introduced Mao “in the off-season”. As Figure Skate has not been so popular so far, they have to make efforts to draw public attention in advance in order to get a better audience rating.
    FYI tonight the same News program broadcast vid of Nobunari Oda, a Japanese skater who is also going to perform in JIC.

QUOTE=
    Mao doesn't need a 4 loop to win anything but just the fact that she's willing to try it makes a statement.
    UNQUOTE=
    As for Mao… I think Mao is practicing 4 loop and other 4 jumps, just because she wants to make it, seems not for win. She seems she just likes figure skating very much.

sorry for my poor English.
    Last edited by hssnby; 09-28-2005 at 12:26 PM.

Thank you for joining us, Hssnby. So, it will just be a few ours before the season begins! Will they show the Japanese Invitational on live TV there?

Mathman

Vinah, welcome to the board. Please post again. There was nothing at all wrong with what you wrote. We welcome eveyone's opinion. Different points of view are what makes Golden Skate interesting!

Mathman (moderator)

Custom Title

Quad Loop

IIRC, didn't Tara Lipinski once say that there was something about the torque on the loop jump that caused her hip injury? If so, does anyone know if it is inherent in all loop jumps, or if it is something specifically connected to combinations?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast