2005 Nationals on ESPN last evening - Sasha Cohen's long program | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2005 Nationals on ESPN last evening - Sasha Cohen's long program

jesslily

Final Flight
Sasha skated both long and short at nationals a lot better than at worlds last year. It's not deniable that she has many things that her competitiors do not have. Flexibilty does not necessarily produce beautiful positions for many skaters. But Sasha can use her flexibility to make remarkable results.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
jesslily said:
Sasha skated both long and short at nationals a lot better than at worlds last year. It's not deniable that she has many things that her competitiors do not have. Flexibilty does not necessarily produce beautiful positions for many skaters. But Sasha can use her flexibility to make remarkable results.

AMEN. IMO, a new season is about to begin with a fresh slate for all of the skaters. I wish Sasha and many others the very best!! May they all stay on their feet, and give us fans a glorious season to watch.

DG

gezando

Final Flight
kyla2 said:
I For her critics all I can say is you can skate like her in your dreams if your lucky.

Others can't skate like her, but Cohen can't do some of the things others can do. Yeah, can Cohen make a vaccine for the avian flu?? Can Cohen figure out the consequence of overactivation of the NMDA receptors and how that relates to Alzheimers??

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
I

She was not into Nutcracker and I don't blame her. That music is extremely schmaltzy and Sasha was just not getting into the schmaltz. Joe

Interesting, didn't you mention in another thread that skating single to Pas de
deux is oh so difficult??? Now you are saying it is just schmaltz music. Schmaltzy or not, if Cohen chose the music, then she should try her best to interpret it, or like you said skate the "essence" of the piece. Actually PIT's music is probably one of the easiest to pretend to skate to, even though he is not the greatest composer in history, he had an amazing gift of melody / tunefulnes. His music is easy to the ears including the judges ears. Among Tchaikovsky pieces skated last year, Pas de Deux is easier to interpret than Romeo and Juliet so IMO at least Arakawa was willing to try a piece that is more challenging.

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
soogar said:
What any poster do is not relevant here. I know here at GS people love to post their CVs :)
Most posters here do not skate period, so what if they can't do what Cohen does. I was just trying to follow kyla's reasoning, so in that context I brought up the fact that Cohen can not do things others do well either

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
And likewise, whether Cohen can make a vaccine for Avian flu isn't either. :biggrin:
Oh but it is relevant in the context of making a point, because kyla made the statement that people can not be critics of Cohen's skating because they can not skate like her. :biggrin: Yeah Reddog you can't be a critic of Michelle's skating because you can't skate like her :biggrin:

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
people can not be critics of Cohen's skating because they can not skate like her.

Yeah...I must say Gezando that you fit this very description. :biggrin: :laugh:

(Technically I could, too. So can half this forum.)

Yeah Reddog you can't be a critic of Michelle's skating because you can't skate like her

if this statement actually held water, skating forums wouldn't exist :biggrin:

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
...but come on. The fact that this is even an issue is laughable. look- only about 5 people can skate like Cohen or Kwan, and they sure as hell don't post here. :cool:

Unless you're trying to tell me that you're irina or something. :biggrin:

jesslily

Final Flight
In the new season it's unlikely that a relatively new skater places ahead of many who have been in the international scene for years, no matter how many hard tricks she has. Sasha has a special place in the judges and officials thought.

rjulie510

Rinkside
gezando said:
Interesting, didn't you mention in another thread that skating single to Pas de
deux is oh so difficult??? Now you are saying it is just schmaltz music. Schmaltzy or not, if Cohen chose the music, then she should try her best to interpret it, or like you said skate the "essence" of the piece. Actually PIT's music is probably one of the easiest to pretend to skate to, even though he is not the greatest composer in history, he had an amazing gift of melody / tunefulnes. His music is easy to the ears including the judges ears. Among Tchaikovsky pieces skated last year, Pas de Deux is easier to interpret than Romeo and Juliet so IMO at least Arakawa was willing to try a piece that is more challenging.

I believe he was mainly pointing out that Pas de Deux is Dance for Two that it is better suited for pairs rather than singles skaters. Wasn't there gossip that Marina Zueva, the choreographer, initially tried to talk Sasha out of it?

jesslily said:
Jesslily - I personally think that non fans of classical ballet get caught up in flexibility on the ice. Fans of classical ballet see so much of it that they just consider it part of the territory. In fact, one can never be a dancer or an athlete without flexibility. Watching a baseball player stretch his body to catch a ball; watching a hip hop dancer gyrate his body is incredible flexibility.

given the necessity of flexibility in sports and dance, I understand you to to be saying that Sasha's flexibility is the best. I think so too in terms of the arabesques - not so much in her jump landings.

If we nitpick positively on arabesques I believe one could say Sasha is most flexible. If we nitpick positiveley on other aspects of arabesques, she is among the crowd. JMO.

It's a WOW factor for Sasha and she gets her due with it. For me, it's a one thing in a routine, and there is so much more to figure skating. I look for skaters whose concentration is mostly on feeling the music. This I saw once in Cleveland for Sasha and again in Moscow. Others, imo, see the high spiral leg and consider it the ultimate in figure skating. I don't.

rJulie - You are correct. The music by PIT was composed as a pas de deux. It's sensuous and beautiful melodies are made for two people. Shen and Zhao did a fine job with it. However, I let the skater use any music he wants and show me his feeling for it. Imo, Sasha used the swells in that music to compliment her spirals. They become highlight tricks and when the swells die down, well....

Joe

Last edited:

anniemg

Rinkside
I said it lots of times so far but i'm saying it again: I thought that Sasha was truly mesmerising at 2004 Worlds SP. She was amazing that night. And I know that when she's on, she's the best, both technically as well as artisticaly. She can show emotion, she can move people, she can give her heart, but there's something holding her back, and i think it's the stress of the long program. OMG I have to do 6 triples, will that jump work, will I fall on the other one? And, while she's skating, at first she's so scared she can't even smile, but then she kind of ;;clicks' and says that 'oh i'm not expressing myself and i'm already in half of the program' and she starts to smile in a fake way cause she's still so scared.

So, she doesn't even manage to reach 'the zone' before the end of her LP. However, during the SP she does better cause she's not as scared, as she knows she has all the elements and it will finish soon.

And that's just my opinion :biggrin:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
anniemg said:
I said it lots of times so far but i'm saying it again: I thought that Sasha was truly mesmerising at 2004 Worlds SP. She was amazing that night. And I know that when she's on, she's the best, both technically as well as artisticaly. She can show emotion, she can move people, she can give her heart, but there's something holding her back, and i think it's the stress of the long program.

And that's just my opinion :biggrin:

But this can be said about several skaters...:when they're "on". So IMO it comes down to who is "on" most consistently. As much as I would like to have the Sasha experience that her fans keep talking about I have yet to be moved by her. I can't get past the "did everyone like me" vibe that I get from her. Maybe this season will be different.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Piel said:
But this can be said about several skaters...:when they're "on". So IMO it comes down to who is "on" most consistently. As much as I would like to have the Sasha experience that her fans keep talking about I have yet to be moved by her. I can't get past the "did everyone like me" vibe that I get from her. Maybe this season will be different.

This is what it boils down to for me. (Instead that I wouldn't say I'm seeking the Sasha experience)

Interesting that you get "did everyone like me" from her. I don't...I see more of a "I don't really want to be here" esp. during her FS and a "look at me, I'm so good" vibe in the SP. This includes the 2004 worlds sp- still didn't feel it from her. I honestly don't think she was that great. As I said before she gives me that "cold, introverted" feeling- as if she is skating for herself and not for the audience. At least with a couple of other skaters I sometimes feel SOMETHING (even if it's not enough to really dig the performance).

JMO.

anniemg

Rinkside
Yes it can be said about several skaters, but it depends on who's the best when he/she's on. If three skaters are on only one will win anyway. And for that will always be Sasha because she has more qualities. It's not bad to say what you're sayin about her, it's not normal that everyone will like her. Me, for example, I don't find anything special in Plushenko, or any of the dance couples(though i do root for some). Some skaters move you and you can't explain why, but they only move you . I dont know if i'm making a lot of sense...

R.D.

Record Breaker
anniemg said:
Some skaters move you and you can't explain why, but they only move you . I dont know if i'm making a lot of sense...

I can buy that. It hasn't happened to me (yet) but I could see that it's maybe a certain style, or something the skater does, that just amazes you. Then you start to become a fan. This is why we get uber-fans of Michelle, Irina, Sasha...

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Anniemg that makes perfect sense to me. As much as I try I still don't get Torville and Dean. og

Red Dog it's not that I want to be a Sasha Fan it's that I know so little about skating that I'm afraid that I am missing something. Same goes for the T&D thing.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Red Dog it's not that I want to be a Sasha Fan it's that I know so little about skating that I'm afraid that I am missing something.

Piel- I didn't take your comment to mean that you were looking to be a Sasha fan- I just took it to mean you wanted the EXPERIENCE of enjoying watching her. Unlike many other posters I actually do believe there is a DIFFERENCE between the two. Some people are just quick to throw out the "fan" label, it seems...

(I'm in the same boat by the way- not knowing much about skating- at least the nuances of it like the points, the jumps, etc.)