Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TT may spend summer's at MK's rink

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    Well, well. Interesting move on her part.

She really seems dig working with Kwan. She has a lot of respect for her and doesn't seem to care where she's from. A sign of a great coach.

Seems like (Kwan) means business this year.

well i should hope so...LOL. after all, imo, anything less than gold for the inimitable kwan, would be unacceptable in light of all that she has accomplished so far...besides winning 'the big one.'

she has to pull out all the stops this time... there is no next olympic games for her where she will have another chance at gold. after 2 olympics winning silver and bronze... gold is the only color left. we cannot kid ourselves that she is not extremely hungry for it... as sweet as she seems in her interviews....

we shall see very soon how much she has improved along with sasha and irina...as i firmly imagine one of those 3 top skaters to win it all. now we have a THREE way battle for the gold... unlike so many other olympics where there were 2 clear front-runners... AND throw in some dark horses: arakawa, kostner.. it is not nearly so clear now who is in the driver's seat... nope.. makes this coming season so damn intriguing. can't wait to see the glorious triumph of one of them and the sheer anguish of defeat for the other 2 below the top spot on the podium....

Down With It
    ...and I have this gut feeling it's going to be irina again. Talk about blah...:indiff: :sheesh:

Custom Title
    weeeelll, not so sure about that... yea she is the reigning world champion...but remember, she won on her home soil WITH major errors (at least in her short) that she would most likely have gotten hammered for in any other place. seriously.. and home court advantage inspires the skater not to mention the judges into giving inflated marks...

i believe that each of the skater's will have an equal footing at the start of the season... now what they do leading up to the olympics could have major consequences... as far as influencing the common opionion for or against them.. they need to ride the wave going staight up from the first outing... all the judges will be keeping an eye out for what their elements are... racking up those points in their minds... for future reference... and some will think..."hmm, now that skater did (or did not) interpret the code to their advantage"... etc.

Custom Title
    i'm not so eager for irina to win either... mostly b/c i'm not at all partial to her style and technique. not at all... but she is one of the top skaters to be wary of. i'm hoping for a cohen or kwan gold medal myself. and for the rest, i don't care where they place....

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by gracefulswan
    weeeelll, not so sure about that... yea she is the reigning world champion...but remember, she won on her home soil WITH major errors (at least in her short) that she would most likely have gotten hammered for in any other place. seriously.. and home court advantage inspires the skater not to mention the judges into giving inflated marks...
    An argument could be made for the short, but please, unless you weren't watching the competition you basically KNEW that Irina blew everyone else away in the FS. No-one even came close. Heck, even if you DIDN'T watch the competition all the reports were there!

i believe that each of the skater's will have an equal footing at the start of the season... now what they do leading up to the olympics could have major consequences... as far as influencing the common opionion for or against them.. they need to ride the wave going staight up from the first outing... all the judges will be keeping an eye out for what their elements are... racking up those points in their minds... for future reference... and some will think..."hmm, now that skater did (or did not) interpret the code to their advantage"... etc.
    All I can say is I hope there is fair judging but that's like hoping that I will get a million dollars handed to me tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikaru
    what ever happened to Kwan's coach, Aratunian? are they still working together?
    OK Raphael and Toto too .

Custom Title
    ... after all, imo, anything less than gold for the inimitable kwan, would be unacceptable in light of all that she has accomplished so far...besides winning 'the big one.' ... can't wait to see the glorious triumph of one of them and the sheer anguish of defeat for the other 2 below the top spot on the podium....
    If Kwan can medal -- any color -- she ties a record (3 Oly medals in ladies skating) that has lasted 70 years, and, becomes the first American -- in any discipline -- to win 3 in figure skating. Not "unacceptable" to me. Furthermore, the other 2 below the top spot on the podium do not always suffer "the sheer anguish of defeat" -- look at Tim Goebel's face on the podium in '02, or Chen Lu's face in '98. If Michelle can have the skate of her life -- and medal -- I don't think she will suffer anguish, and I -- Kwaniac though i am -- certainly will not.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggygirl
    As tough as it sounds, these are business relationships. Unless someone is paying really HUGE $$ for exclusivity, then the professionals have every right to work with more than one skater, so long as they follow their contractual obligations - verbal or otherwise.

DG

In other words, "MONEY TALKS". It means that the more money that you have, you can hire the big guns(or people who think that they are big guns) I think that TT would sell her soul for a dollar or two and not think twice about it. She seems to an arrogant and self-righteous woman, talk about stoned face people. When she is in the U.S. again somebody should call PETA and get that fur coat from her.

Don't take this post in the wrong way. This is no reflection on the skaters that work with her.
    Last edited by millie; 09-29-2005 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by millie
    In other words, "MONEY TALKS". It means that the more money that you have, you can hire the big guns(or people who think that they are big guns) I think that TT would sell her soul for a dollar or two and not think twice about it. She seems to an arrogant and self-righteous woman, talk about stoned face people. When she is in the U.S. again somebody should call PETA and get that fur coat from her.

Don't take this post in the wrong way. This is no reflection on the skaters that work with her.
    Let's face it money makes a big difference especially in sports like figure skating. If you are referring to Kwan's $$$ attracting TT maybe it did and maybe it didn't. I don't think all of the money in the world would get TT to spend a few months with you if the talent and -passion for the sport weren't there too. As for Kwan's $$$ she EARNED it because of her hard work and continued excellence and committment to the sport NOT because rich parents indulged her. There is a difference and I think TT is saavy enough to recognize that. That "heart of a champion" stuff is not just talk about Kwan those who know figure skating seem to get it.

TT only works with skaters she feels can benefit from it. Four years ago, for example, she turned down the opportunity to work with Anissina, even though she has a lot of respect for her. There are countless others she's turned down over the years.

I wouldn't call her "stoned face" easier. Come on! Over the years, she's had contless students actually live with her, and basically be like children to her. Hardly the picture you paint here.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    Let's face it money makes a big difference especially in sports like figure skating. If you are referring to Kwan's $$$ attracting TT maybe it did and maybe it didn't. I don't think all of the money in the world would get TT to spend a few months with you if the talent and -passion for the sport weren't there too. As for Kwan's $$$ she EARNED it because of her hard work and continued excellence and committment to the sport NOT because rich parents indulged her. There is a difference and I think TT is saavy enough to recognize that. That "heart of a champion" stuff is not just talk about Kwan those who know figure skating seem to get it.
    If you read my post thoroughly, I wasn't refering to Michelle or any other skater. I never ever professed to know figure skating to the extent that you do but that don't make me any less of a fan of figure skating and figure skaters. That "heart of a champion" stuff is in all figure skaters not just Michelle and that's the part of figure skating that I get. That's beside the point, somebody should still inform PETA about that coat.
    Last edited by millie; 09-29-2005 at 11:41 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote:

“Q. How did Arakawa feel about you developing programs for Kwan?”

”A. I didn’t ask about her feelings.”

My, she seems like a really sweet and caring person!!!!
    With friends like her, who needs enemies!!!!

she gave all the caring to her fave yags

Medalist

TT interview

"...The thing is Japanese Federation acted as if they don't give TT total control over Arakawa. They assigned another Japanese coach to Arakawa as if don't want TT taking full credit..."

Naturally the home/base country, in this case JPN, would want more input into Arakawa's training. Wasn't it initially under Japanese coach Sato (Yuka's father) when Arakawa started landing difficult triple-triple combinations? Only when she started working w/ Tarasova in the 2003-2004 season that she REALLY developed artistically and her other technical elements (spins, MITF, the Ina Bauer) came into fruition? I have a vague premonition Shizuka will go the way of the other Japanese skaters in overemphasizing 3/3 combo, which in her case are underrotated/cheated

Off-topic, there was a post from 9/26 in the USFSA forum which said Arakawa was spotted training in the Detroit Skating Club/Center w/ Yuka Sato and Jason Dunjien. It said she was consistently landing her lutz and 3sal/3toe combo but was having problems w/ her 2 axel, and that her Biellmanns were a little slow (which I fully doubt as judging from the Japanese video of her training w/ Tarasova, her Biellmann's are solid and fast and better aesthetically done than Irina's, no straining and no awkward dropping of the free leg).

Custom Title
    i'm not so eager for irina to win either... mostly b/c i'm not at all partial to her style and technique. not at all... but she is one of the top skaters to be wary of. i'm hoping for a cohen or kwan gold medal myself. and for the rest, i don't care where they place....

and of course michell did not have an advantage in salt lake where she placed first in the sp with erros(that could only happen in the states) over a much better skate by Irina or the 2003 worlds in washington huh? Some people get very selective in their criticism of non fave skaters

Medalist
    "and of course michell did not have an advantage in salt lake where she placed first in the sp with erros(that could only happen in the states) over a much better skate by Irina or the 2003 worlds in washington huh? Some people get very selective in their criticism of non fave skaters"

Under CoP, Sasha would have won the SP at 2002 SLC Olys.
    SP: 1. Cohen 2. Slutskaya 3. Kwan 4. Hughes
    LP: 1. Hughes 2. Slutskaya 3. Cohen (her 3z/3toe would have been downgraded to a 3z/2t) 4. Kwan

So the medal result could have been:
    1. Slutskaya 2. Kwan 3. Cohen

But this all belongs in the past.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast