Quote of the Day - October | Golden Skate

Quote of the Day - October

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 1st

Columbus dreamed of an unknown shore at the rim of a far flung sky.
-- Edgar Albert Guest

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 2nd

A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes.
-- Hugh Downs

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 3rd

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons.
~ James Thurber

4dk - Please see The Power of the Dog by Rudyard Kipling in memory of our much loved Gypsy who is now with our Robin waiting for us to cross the Rainbow Bridge with them..

4dogknight

Final Flight
Otober 4th

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.
-- Dave Barry

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 5th

If there is one principle that has proved its validity throughout the centuries, it is that only a free people with a clear hope of freedom will fight in defense of freedom.
Carlos P. Romulo

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 6th

Listen, I'm a politician which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies I'm stealing their lollipops. But it also means I keep my options open.
- – The Hunt for Red October

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 7th

What the world really needs is more love and less paperwork.
-- Pearl Bailey

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 8th

There are only two ways by which to rise in this world, either by one's own industry or by the stupidity of others.
-- Jean de LaBruyere

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 9th

When written in Chinese, the word 'crisis' is composed of two characters - one represents danger, and the other represents opportunity.
-- Saul David Alinsky

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 10th Columbus Day (Observed USA*)

When he (Columbus) started out he didn't know where he was going, when he got there he didn't know where he was, and when he got back he didn't know where he had been.
— Anonymous.

4dk
Columbus Day
Over the following decades, the Knights of Columbus, an international Roman Catholic fraternal benefit society, lobbied state legislatures to declare October 12a legal holiday. Colorado was the first state to do so on April 1, 1907. New York declared Columbus Day a holiday in 1909 and on October 12, 1909, New York Governor Charles Evans Hughes led a parade that included the crews of two Italian ships, several Italian-American societies, and legions of the Knights of Columbus. Since 1971, Columbus Day, designated as the second Monday in October, has been celebrated as a federal holiday. In many locations across the country American parade in commemoration of the day.

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 11th

Standing in the middle of the road is very dangerous; you get knocked down by traffic from both sides.
-- Margaret Thatcher

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 13th

The actions of men are the best interpreters of their thoughts.
-- John Locke

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 14th

Today is the 939th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings. The outcome of this battle changed the destiny of Europe, the Middle East, Asia and eventually Africa, North and South America.

History is a pact between the dead, the living, and the yet unborn.
-- Edmund Burke

For more information, please visit this splendid site.

While Battle Abbey is not usually on everyone's list of places to visit while in England, it is a bit touristy but jam packed with historical information.

Visit this site for more information on Battle Abbey, East Sussex, England

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 15th

We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
-- Inscription in Crypt of Allegheny Observatory, University of Pittsburgh

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 16th

Courtesies of a small and trivial character are the ones which strike deepest in the gratefully and appreciating heart.
-- Henry Clay

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 17th

Leadership is based on inspiration, not domination; on cooperation, not intimidation.
– William Arthur Wood

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 19th

Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.
--Jimmy Durante

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
October 20th

One of the great attractions of patriotism -- it fulfills our worst wishes. In the person of our nation we are able, vicariously, to bully and cheat. Bully and cheat, what's more, with a feeling that we are profoundly virtuous.
-- Aldous Huxley

4dk