Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Ice pretzel

  1. #1

  2. #2
    Spectator brad640's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    400

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by orchid

    3rd pic, imagine this pose with a skating dress :frown2:
    http://www.artonice.it/archivionotiz...anciaice27.htm
    I wonder if it would be possible to spin in a charlotte position. Sasha's I spin is like an upside down charlotte.

  3. #3
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    20,177

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brad640
    I wonder if it would be possible to spin in a charlotte position. Sasha's I spin is like an upside down charlotte.
    If some skater does a charlotte spin, it will be a first. I think Charlotte spirals are done on the flat. How would one get that spinning? FO or BO edge hmmm.

    Joe

  4. #4
    Tripping on the Podium BravesSkateFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    911
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Theres a pairs spin where the lady is in a charlotte position. Of course she is assisted by her partner, but it's probably the closest we've seen

  5. #5

    0 Not allowed!
    I would love to see Shawn Sawyer and Sasha do an exhibition number together. Maybe something like mirror pairs(I think that's what it's called). I think that could be interesting.

  6. #6

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BravesSkateFan
    Theres a pairs spin where the lady is in a charlotte position. Of course she is assisted by her partner, but it's probably the closest we've seen
    Ah, the Natalia spin?

    http://dmitriev.topcities.com/md94o10.jpg

  7. #7
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    20,177

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CzarinaAnya
    I would love to see Shawn Sawyer and Sasha do an exhibition number together. Maybe something like mirror pairs(I think that's what it's called). I think that could be interesting.
    Emanuel also has a high extension. I think that is what causes his problems in the tough to do jumps.

    Joe

  8. #8
    Spectator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    350

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Emanuel also has a high extension. I think that is what causes his problems in the tough to do jumps.

    Joe
    Very diplomatic, Joe

  9. #9

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Emanuel also has a high extension. I think that is what causes his problems in the tough to do jumps.

    Joe
    Are you saying that skaters with super extension are more likely to be bad at jumping? I can totally see that.

  10. #10
    On the Ice Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    33,889

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Emanuel also has a high extension. I think that is what causes his problems in the tough to do jumps.
    People used to criticize Sasha for "front-loading" her programs. Maybe that is a good stategy for her after all. Do all the jumps first with your muscles tight and bunched, then stretch out and do all the extension and flexibility moves.

    MM

  11. #11
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    20,177

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CzarinaAnya
    Are you saying that skaters with super extension are more likely to be bad at jumping? I can totally see that.
    I didn't say bad. From my 'dance' days, it was noted that the boys didn't work on high arabesques because it interferred with the double air turns. The high arabesque boys tended to open slightly the legs which as MM pointed out is not good for jumping. And we saw that this concept was true. Name your male skaters with high spirals and see if they are consistant triple and quad jumpers.

    Joe

  12. #12
    On the Ice Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    33,889

    0 Not allowed!
    Joe, would you say that Todd Eldredge is an example of a skater who had pretty good extension on his spirals, but was also a fairly consistent jumper?

  13. #13
    Spectator
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    510

    0 Not allowed!
    I would think that the extreme example of this would be Shawn Sawyer. Is he a decent jumper? I've actually never seen him skate.

  14. #14
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    20,177

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Joe, would you say that Todd Eldredge is an example of a skater who had pretty good extension on his spirals, but was also a fairly consistent jumper?
    Todd's spiral as I recall had a free leg slightly higher than parallel to the ice. I think a higher free leg spiral would be considered feminine-like in America. That sort of thing would never be in Todd's repertoire. Likewise with Wiley whose spiral was parallel to the ice. Both these guys had solid jumping technique; not fabulous camels but super sitsspins.

    Joe

  15. #15
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    5,482

    0 Not allowed!

    Go Ad-Free! Become a GS Supporter! Thank you
    I would say that Eldredge and especially Wylie had excellent *extension* in the sense of straight free leg with pointed toes, and open chest. Their *flexibility*, on the other hand, was nothing remarkable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •