Sarah Hughes | Golden Skate

Sarah Hughes

Awww. She broke another young man's heart!

It was worth registering for the Post, LOL.

I'll read the Post but I won't buy it. and page 6 is the page to read trash. I hope they let Sarah be decent,

Joe

janna

Rinkside
gosh, i just thought she looked pretty

:scratch: i thought she really looked grown up in the picture and like she has come into her own. nice to see.

Gatzbee

Rinkside
nice

nice hair cut, and she looks nice in that shot. i didn't know she was dating rudy guliani's son?!

here's a direct link to the picture from the nypost.com site...
click

if that still doesn't work, then just go to www.bugmenot.com and type in www.nypost.com to get a registration id and password to enter into the www.nypost.com website when they ask if u've registered. the picture should appear right after on the page with the article...

R.D.

Record Breaker
I registered (yes, I went through the trouble), and still don't see the picture with the article. I don't know what could possibly be happening.

Anyway- I COULD see the pic in the link you provided. Thanks, and yes it's a nice picture.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The real news is that she's back in school and won't be touring with SOI this season. That's probably a good move for her. I just wonder if she's still planning on returning as a competitive skater after this Olympic season. Somehow, I don't believe it will ever happen.

chuckm said:
The real news is that she's back in school and won't be touring with SOI this season. That's probably a good move for her. I just wonder if she's still planning on returning as a competitive skater after this Olympic season. Somehow, I don't believe it will ever happen.
I go along with what you say. Her 15 minutes is up soon and I think she will fade away and if she gets in shape and stays that way, she'll more than likely be a guest skater from time to time.

Tara is totally out; Oksana and Kat are hanging in there (by a thread) and so it goes with Oly champs.

I wonder if Evgeny wins the title, will Alexei's days be numbered at least in the US?

Joe

S

SkateFan4Life

I agree with you that Sarah's moment in the spotlight will probably come to an end with the crowning of the next Olympic champion - especially if another American such as Michelle Kwan or Sasha Cohen wins the gold medal.

Sarah's long program at Salt Lake was fantastic, and she deserved the victory, even though she won thanks to help from Michelle, Irina, and Sasha. That's the way the scoring goes, and she won fairly and squarely.

Perhaps it's time for Sarah to resume her studies at Yale and get on with her life outside of the skating rink. Whatever she does, I wish her the best.

I agree with Joe's comments about Tara being out of the picture and Katarina Witt and Oksana Baiul pretty much holding on at this point - although I would say that Kat is holding on much better, with her many shows and appearances.
It's hard to believe that Witt will turn 40 this December!

euterpe

Medalist
Alexei is in no danger of being eclipsed by Plushenko if Plushy wins the OGM. Alexei has lived in the US before and since winning the OGM and is well acclimated to the US. SOI is perfect for him and I'm sure they will keep him as long as his hip holds out.

OTOH, Plushy is very Russian and I don't think he would ever want the SOI gig, which means 6 months of exhausting tours. He's been doing COI every summer since he was 15, and I think that's where he'll stay, especially now that he's married and reportedly soon to be a Dad. It's a much shorter tour, and he'd be free to do shows in Russia, Asia and Europe during the season.

soogar

Record Breaker
I think skating is big enough for Alexei and Plush. In fact, it would probably invigorate the pros to have to two stars of their magnitude in their ranks.

I feel very sorry for Sarah. It seems that she was somewhat pressured to go the Ivy League route by her family and she lost all of her skating skills along the way. Things would have been very different for SArah had she kept up her skills. I hope things don't turn out the same way for Emily. I think Emily is an amazing skater and I would love to see her capitalize on and develop her skating even further.

R.D.

Record Breaker
soogar said:
I feel very sorry for Sarah. It seems that she was somewhat pressured to go the Ivy League route by her family and she lost all of her skating skills along the way. Things would have been very different for [Sarah] had she kept up her skills. I hope things don't turn out the same way for Emily. I think Emily is an amazing skater and I would love to see her capitalize on and develop her skating even further.

That's very true- she could have made a living for a while being a show skater and made a decent amount of money from it. You can always attend college later.

Then again, maybe she wants to go now and get the college life and education. I don't fault her for that at all. So I can't say I feel sorry for her- she seems to be doing what she wants (or maybe not...?). Best of luck to her.

IDLERACER

Medalist
What a babe. In that picture she looks a little like Renee Roca, only with lightened hair.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
I think that's why Alexei commands so much respect - he tries very hard to give a crowd their 'money's worth.' And... there is little chance Evgeni would take his place in the US - if Evgeni wins (or even if he doesn't) he'll go with the tour he's always been with - COI.

Alexei has gotten a HUGE amount of publicity and offers the past few months back in Russia - stuff that was almost unheard of - or far and few between - until very recently. By his own admission, part of this is due to Plushy's new family status.

It's almost for sure that there will be pro events featuring Alexei and Plush as the main attraction - both recognize this would be an enormous draw - and Alexei at least really wants to compete against Evgeni again, albeit on the pro level.

On something another poster mentioned....Katarina Witt is turning 40? Wow - I spoke with her verrrrry early one morning in Dortmund before she had time to get made up, and she looked fabulous - a true diva goddess!!!

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
And then there's Kristi Yamaguchi who only had 2 years as Reigning Champ and she held her own well past that of the 3 oly champs that followed... in fact the only time she was "slowed down" was when she was pregnant (and she's expecting a second child, right?) and she bounced back pretty fast :clap:

sorry I figured while we talked about the "has beens" I wanted to at least give Kristi her due!

soogar

Record Breaker
Zanzibar said:
Alexei has gotten a HUGE amount of publicity and offers the past few months back in Russia - stuff that was almost unheard of - or far and few between - until very recently. By his own admission, part of this is due to Plushy's new family status.

Why is that? Is it because the single ladies believe that Alexei is still available to them (not that they would have a better chance with ALexei verses Plush)? I think Alexei is a fantastic show skater. I hope SOI will give him a long term contract and think about pushing him as a headliner.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Red Dog said:
That's very true- she could have made a living for a while being a show skater and made a decent amount of money from it. You can always attend college later...

She might have been able to do both if she hadn't gone with SOI. The lighter COI schedule, for example, has allowed Michelle to attend summer classes at UCLA. If Sarah had wanted school instead of competition, she could attend fall classes as well, in addition to touring. The SOI workload, though, doesn't allow for both, since more time has to be spent on skating and rehersals -- and the SOI touring season is usually longer than the season for COI.

euterpe

Medalist
I doubt we'll see pro competitions with Alexei vs Evgeny. Alexei's hip isn't going to get better, so he isn't capable of keeping up with Evgeny technically, even if Evgeny has a bad knee.

I can see them doing team competitions, though, and they'd be unbeatable.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I think that pro events might have to be reconfigured to get Yags and Plush competing against each other, instead of on the same team. I think, most likely, though, is that the big pro event will be some form of "Battle of the Sexes", with Yags and Plush taking on Michelle and Irina.