Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Hughes

And then there's Kristi Yamaguchi who only had 2 years as Reigning Champ and she held her own well past that of the 3 oly champs that followed... in fact the only time she was "slowed down" was when she was pregnant (and she's expecting a second child, right?) and she bounced back pretty fast

sorry I figured while we talked about the "has beens" I wanted to at least give Kristi her due!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanzibar
    Alexei has gotten a HUGE amount of publicity and offers the past few months back in Russia - stuff that was almost unheard of - or far and few between - until very recently. By his own admission, part of this is due to Plushy's new family status.
    Why is that? Is it because the single ladies believe that Alexei is still available to them (not that they would have a better chance with ALexei verses Plush)? I think Alexei is a fantastic show skater. I hope SOI will give him a long term contract and think about pushing him as a headliner.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog
    That's very true- she could have made a living for a while being a show skater and made a decent amount of money from it. You can always attend college later...
    She might have been able to do both if she hadn't gone with SOI. The lighter COI schedule, for example, has allowed Michelle to attend summer classes at UCLA. If Sarah had wanted school instead of competition, she could attend fall classes as well, in addition to touring. The SOI workload, though, doesn't allow for both, since more time has to be spent on skating and rehersals -- and the SOI touring season is usually longer than the season for COI.

Custom Title
    I doubt we'll see pro competitions with Alexei vs Evgeny. Alexei's hip isn't going to get better, so he isn't capable of keeping up with Evgeny technically, even if Evgeny has a bad knee.

I can see them doing team competitions, though, and they'd be unbeatable.

Custom Title
    I think that pro events might have to be reconfigured to get Yags and Plush competing against each other, instead of on the same team. I think, most likely, though, is that the big pro event will be some form of "Battle of the Sexes", with Yags and Plush taking on Michelle and Irina.

Custom Title
    There's something about the lure of fame---I think Sarah did SOI because she found she really didn't like being just "Sarah from Long Island" and wasn't ready to give up her celebrity status.

Tara COULD have gone to college after giving up skating due to injury---but she, too, clung to her celebrity. She's trying desperately to make it as an actress, but is having no real success. Maybe she should take a cue from Sarah and start taking communications courses as a preparation for a possible career in TV. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sarah trying a debut as Peggy Fleming's successor some day.

Quote Originally Posted by attyfan
    I think that pro events might have to be reconfigured to get Yags and Plush competing against each other, instead of on the same team. I think, most likely, though, is that the big pro event will be some form of "Battle of the Sexes", with Yags and Plush taking on Michelle and Irina.
    Battle of the Sexes, imo, is nothing more than a sugary joke. Do you really care if the men beat the women? Most viewers of that event just want to see some old time favorites do a program with a pretty costume or an outlandish number. It's not serious competition, and it's entertainment value is only for real fans. It'll never replace eligible competitions unless someone changes the format to make the results meaningful.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    And then there's Kristi Yamaguchi who only had 2 years as Reigning Champ and she held her own well past that of the 3 oly champs that followed... in fact the only time she was "slowed down" was when she was pregnant (and she's expecting a second child, right?) and she bounced back pretty fast
    sorry I figured while we talked about the "has beens" I wanted to at least give Kristi her due!
    Yes, Kristi is a very special skater. Logevity as with Flemming and Hamil are reserved for the best the sport has to offer.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe
    There's something about the lure of fame---I think Sarah did SOI because she found she really didn't like being just "Sarah from Long Island" and wasn't ready to give up her celebrity status.

Tara COULD have gone to college after giving up skating due to injury---but she, too, clung to her celebrity. She's trying desperately to make it as an actress, but is having no real success. Maybe she should take a cue from Sarah and start taking communications courses as a preparation for a possible career in TV. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sarah trying a debut as Peggy Fleming's successor some day.

:sheesh: :sheesh: :sheesh: :sheesh:

Really, the Tara hating gets old

Tara has her entire life to go to college (if she chooses to attend). If Tara really wanted to hold on to her celebrity status, she can pull a Bobek and show up at events with no jumps. Tara wants to work toward other challenges. Since her body isn't going to allow her to work on triple jumps and 3-3 combos, she has decided to work on acting. There are lots of people in Hollywood with no talent whatsoever who get big breaks on account of looks/connections. There are also a lot of talented/untalented people who can't get jobs. Why don't these people all just go home and stop trying?

Sarah has the right to enjoy her reign as the OGM. It's bad enough that Sarah's parents robbed her of a special opportunity to tour as an Olympic champion while her skating skills were still good. Their snob mentality that Sarah was too good to tour and that "our kid is going to attend Ivy League" really hurt Sarah's stature as the OGM when she lost all of her skills. I hope they don't do the same with Emily, though I get the impression that skating is something the Hughes kids do until they get accepted to college and then they have to quit.

Quote Originally Posted by soogar

Sarah has the right to enjoy her reign as the OGM. It's bad enough that Sarah's parents robbed her of a special opportunity to tour as an Olympic champion while her skating skills were still good. Their snob mentality that Sarah was too good to tour and that "our kid is going to attend Ivy League" really hurt Sarah's stature as the OGM when she lost all of her skills. I hope they don't do the same with Emily, though I get the impression that skating is something the Hughes kids do until they get accepted to college and then they have to quit.
    Where did you get the information that Sarah's parents prevented Sarah from touring, or that they are snobs? I personally have not gotten this impression from articles or quotes, but then I haven't read every article puplished about Sarah either. And I haven't met her or her family personally.

Just curious..

DG

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggygirl
    Where did you get the information that Sarah's parents prevented Sarah from touring, or that they are snobs? I personally have not gotten this impression from articles or quotes, but then I haven't read every article puplished about Sarah either. And I haven't met her or her family personally.

Just curious..

DG

In saying they were snobs, I just deduced it from the circumstances. Ie Sarah's special: the majority of the program was devoted toward Sarah getting into an IVY League college with a huge bit devoted toward Sarah's parents attending Cornell and Cornell's greeting of Sarah. Then when Sarah announced her choice to quit skating to attend Yale, her parents were quoted (I don't have a link) as saying (paraphrasing a bit, but not by much) , " We left the decision to her but we were holding out breath hoping that she would make the right decision" [ right being attending Yale over skating in shows]. A lot of attitudes are cultivated at home...it was very obvious to me that Sarah's parents put a huge premium on the snob factor of the school attended (as if other colleges aren't as good or better than IVY league schools).

I also think the way Sarah's father managed her career also left a lot to be desired. He was quoted that "Sarah was too young to be selling products" in his decision to keep her away from endorsements/public eye prior to her win. Now I agree with him in his decision to protect Sarah. However I do believe there was an undercurrent of elitism in his decision making. Sarah is from a privileged background therefore father doesn't want the world to perceive that Sarah has to push products/tour to support her skating. The vibe I got was that the father felt he made enough money to provide for his children and that "Sarah was above touring for a living".

People will bring up that Sarah did tour with COI, however I believed that she was allowed to because she was in high school and it was considered one of her extracurricular activities (plus looks good on a college application). However once she reached college age, she was expected to go to college and while she wasn't forced to attend, I think her parents' views forced this decision (in addition to her poor skate at Worlds) and after a year of college, she really regretted the decision which is why she joined SOI. Unfortunately Sarah lost all of her skills and I think that precipitated her return to Yale. Had she retained her skills, her time with SOI would have been better and she would have continued to tour.

This is all IMO and my impressions from interviews and stories on the family. I hope that Emily is a strong enough person to withstand that pressure and make the decision that resonates within her. You can feel Emily's love for skating when you watch her compete. Emily is so skilled that I would love to see her develop even further and bring that skill to show skating.
    Last edited by soogar; 10-03-2005 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by soogar

Really, the Tara hating gets old

Tara has her entire life to go to college (if she chooses to attend). If Tara really wanted to hold on to her celebrity status, she can pull a Bobek and show up at events with no jumps. Tara wants to work toward other challenges. Since her body isn't going to allow her to work on triple jumps and 3-3 combos, she has decided to work on acting. There are lots of people in Hollywood with no talent whatsoever who get big breaks on account of looks/connections. There are also a lot of talented/untalented people who can't get jobs. Why don't these people all just go home and stop trying?

Soogar it seems that you feel being the OGM and skating is the ultimate goal in life. For a very few maybe, but in the real world an education and career that will sustain you EVEN if your knees/hips/ whatever give out is more important.

Rinkside

Exclamation does anyone else see something wrong here?

Sarah has made a very wise decision-to move on with her life and prepare for her future. She accomplished the greatest achievement she could-an olympic gold. How can you blame her? Maybe she wants to be famous for something other than just skating or maybe she doesnt want to be famous at all? Skating may have just been her childhood goal and I imagine her parents want more of her than just skating too. I know it means her fans won't get to see her skate as often or do big triple triples but they should be proud of her work ethic and determination. There are no written rules about how to conduct your life if you win the gold. I miss her skating too but I also can't wait to see what she will accomplish next.

Quote Originally Posted by samskates
    Sarah has made a very wise decision-to move on with her life and prepare for her future. She accomplished the greatest achievement she could-an olympic gold. How can you blame her? Maybe she wants to be famous for something other than just skating or maybe she doesnt want to be famous at all? Skating may have just been her childhood goal and I imagine her parents want more of her than just skating too. I know it means her fans won't get to see her skate as often or do big triple triples but they should be proud of her work ethic and determination. There are no written rules about how to conduct your life if you win the gold. I miss her skating too but I also can't wait to see what she will accomplish next.

Welcome to Golden Skate, Sam. I totally agree with your post.

Mathman

Rinkside
    thanks mathman. i feel like skating fans make sarah out to be damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. they want her to skate so she does after being at school a year and they complain how out of shape she is. well, anyone who went to college knows the rigours of college. if she went to college i'd expect her to enjoy it and go all the way. she decided not to go back to tour and to go back to school and everyone complains again. how can this young lady ever win?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast