Some Disastrous Competitive Performances | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Some Disastrous Competitive Performances

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
That puts him in the company of such skating legends as Scott Hamilton

you forgot Kurt Browning who, before Alexei, was the last man to have 4 world titles... but he didn't win in 92 so Scott is STILL the last man to win all 4 in a row :)

just being picky :laugh:

as for disasterous programs... Kurt's whole 92 Oly experience.... just so heartbreaking and disappointing

I won't put his 94 Oly sp as diasterous because while it did keep him off the podium he didn't just flat give up during the program and he came back in the long.

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

I had expected Kurt Browning to win the 1994 Olympic gold medal and for Brian Boitano and Viktor Petrenko to challenge for the silver and bronze medals. Instead, all three of these great skaters bombed in the short program, and all finished out of the medals. :no:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life said:
I had expected Kurt Browning to win the 1994 Olympic gold medal and for Brian Boitano and Viktor Petrenko to challenge for the silver and bronze medals. Instead, all three of these great skaters bombed in the short program, and all finished out of the medals. :no:

Kurt didn't TOTALLY bomb :laugh: he fell on the flip (?) and then popped his 2axel (lack of concentration, IMHO) but he kept it together much more so than he did in 92 where he just flat gave up...

while it was completely flawed, his 94 short is one of my favorite competitive programs... it had so much personality... as Kurt stated in the KnC the olympics just weren't his thing (I cry everytime I watch him beat himself up in KnC... :no: )

rain

Record Breaker
Well, we can now add Johnny Weir's LP from Skate Canada to the list of meltdowns. Hurt himself on a jump fall, then proceeded to look like he was just going to quit the program and skate off the ice, not once, but twice. His sobbing in the kiss and cry really said it all.

antmanb

Record Breaker
PatC said:
1997 World Championships Final Not Reached Lu Chen CHN 11 25

http://www.eskatefans.com/skatabase...NATION`+=+'China'&name_mailing=&page=3&order=

I believe Lu Chen had to attend the Karl Schaeffer comp to qualify. So did Susan Humphreys of Canada.

I just went back and checked my tapes and she did compete in the SP and did not make it to the free skate - which i think is the difference between "did not qualify" ie make it out of qualifying and "final not reached" meaning did not make it from the SP to the LP.

Ant

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
antmanb said:
I just went back and checked my tapes and she did compete in the SP and did not make it to the free skate - which i think is the difference between "did not qualify" ie make it out of qualifying and "final not reached" meaning did not make it from the SP to the LP.

Ant

I made a booboo. I guess that was the year they decided to abolish the system of having only the qualifiers skate in the Quali round. I don't think they counted it to the total score, though, cos Nicole Bobek was 2nd in her qualifying group, and in today's competitions, that would've kept her afloat somehow...

Syncrogirl

Spectator
Tonichelle said:
Kurt didn't TOTALLY bomb :laugh: he fell on the flip (?) and then popped his 2axel (lack of concentration, IMHO) but he kept it together much more so than he did in 92 where he just flat gave up...

while it was completely flawed, his 94 short is one of my favorite competitive programs... it had so much personality... as Kurt stated in the KnC the olympics just weren't his thing (I cry everytime I watch him beat himself up in KnC... :no: )

What were the highest jumps that the guys were landing in 94? I am surprised that Kurt was only doing a double axel, was that usual, was the 3 axel "the" jump like the quad?

mememe

On the Ice
Syncrogirl said:
What were the highest jumps that the guys were landing in 94? I am surprised that Kurt was only doing a double axel, was that usual, was the 3 axel "the" jump like the quad?

A double axel was still a requirement in the SP back in 1994. The "jump passes" in the SP were a combination jump (triple-double, triple-triple -- quads still weren't allowed in SPs yet) and a solo triple jump (which had to be different than any triple done in the combo jump) and a double axel.

And that's what killed Kurt -- that stupid double axel. He landed his triple axel combination, then fell on the flip. But if all he'd done is fall on the flip, it's likely he'd have ended up still pretty high -- Boitano had missed his triple axel combination, but nailed everything else in his program and he was eighth (and that's being the very first skater up in the SPs and not being in "favor" with the judges). Viktor had made a couple of mistakes, one minor, the other fairly major, coming a few skaters after Boitano, and he was 10th, I think. Something like that The top three had all been pretty clean, but Scott Davis was in fourth place and HE had messed up one element in his SP.

Kurt was either last up or nearly last up in the SPs. And the judges liked him, he was the reigning world champion. A fall on the flip was not going to put him out of the final group. If he'd have skated the rest of his SP clean and he'd have almost certainly been at least fourth or fifth and therefore skating the LPs in the final group and still with a great chance at a medal, and an outside chance at gold. But he simply didn't manage to keep his concentration. His footwork got slower toward the end and then didn't even make an attempt at the double axel -- he just did a single. That was therefore omitting a required element and that's what dropped him way down to 12th, with no realistic shot at a medal. I could understand his shock and dismay over missing the flip, but it was quite a blow to see him be unable to make his way through the rest of the elements that there was no reason for him to miss. He'd almost certainly have had an Olympic medal if he'd have just hit that double axel.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
rain said:
Well, we can now add Johnny Weir's LP from Skate Canada to the list of meltdowns. Hurt himself on a jump fall, then proceeded to look like he was just going to quit the program and skate off the ice, not once, but twice. His sobbing in the kiss and cry really said it all.
Oh my gosh, I felt so bad for him. This is just my opinion but I think he saw his career flash before his eyes, I think he was scared to death!! :cry: :cry:

Dee :cry: :cry:

pohatta

On the Ice
Frau Muller said:
1982 Nationals - Elaine Zayak -- then reighning World Silver Medalist -- bombing in her LP, barely making the '82 Worlds team (generous marks made her 3rd, behind Sumners & DeVries). One month later, she got her act together & became World Champion!

In those Worlds, Kristiina Wegelius dropped from 1st to 9th in the LP, which sounds truly disastrous. However, her LP wasn't exceptionally weak, although she missed her only attempt at a triple. She was 2nd in the compulsories, 5th in the SP and 12th in the LP.

S

SkateFan4Life

Johnny Weir's 2003 US Nationals long program - he ran into the boards, then fell, and then withdrew from the competition.

Jill Trenary's 1991 Skate Canada long program -- she missed every single triple jump. An absolute disaster, and it probably contributed to her decision to leave eligible skating and not try for a spot on the 1992 Olympic team.

S

SkateFan4Life

Johnny Weir's 2003 US Nationals long program. Two falls and a withdrawal. That episode is going to hang around him for the rest of his competitive life. If he ever withdraws from another competition, the media will link it with 2003, without a doubt.

I remember Kurt Browning skating a competitive program a number of years ago in which he simply forgot the program and more or less just skated around the rink for four minutes. What a shock that was! Kurt is such a great, great skater and such a strong competitor. Oh well, I guess we all have a mental lapse from time to time.

S

SkateFan4Life

Letitia Hubert's 1992 Olympic long program. She was the last skater in the final flight, thanks to her strong short program. Poor girl, she fell numerous times, and by the end of her program she was clearly bruised and battered.

What a sad way to end an otherwise glorious competition in which Kristi Yamaguchi won the gold medal.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
pohatta said:
In those Worlds, Kristiina Wegelius dropped from 1st to 9th in the LP, which sounds truly disastrous. However, her LP wasn't exceptionally weak, although she missed her only attempt at a triple. She was 2nd in the compulsories, 5th in the SP and 12th in the LP.

You know, pretty much ALL the ladies in that final, except for Zayak, Sumners, and Witt (and Liz Manley who was way way way down in the standings) were pretty much a disaster..... I feel sorry for the people who actually paid to see that in person. There were so many falls that bringing the Zamboni out to resurface the ice between groups was almost unneccessary.

I'm not sure I would consider Weir's Disaster in Dallas to be a complete disaster of a performance, given the fact that when you consider how much of his actual program he got to skate, I don't think there was enough there to consider that a performance.

pennyfromheaven

On the Ice
Tanith and Ben's disastrous free dance at 2003 Nationals. I think she kicked him in the head or something like that.

waxel

Final Flight
Wasn't it Kwiatkowski bombing the QR at 93 Worlds that resulted in only 2 ladies spots at 94 Olys?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Kwiatkowski did not get out of the QR in the '93 Worlds, but at that time, IIRC, the number of places US ladies would get in Lillihamer depended solely on the placement of the top skater -- if she made the podium, the US got 3; if she made the top 10, the US got 2. Top skater was Nancy Kerrigan, who after the worst FS of her life, came in 6th -- so the US only got to send 2.

mememe

On the Ice
Scott Hamilton had an absolute disaster in a pro competition in Moscow -- Challenge of Champions, I think, in about 1989 or 90. He fell three times -- hard. I think he fell on all three of his triples, then finally hit a double axel (or else fell on the double axel and two triples and finally landed a triple toe). It was painful to watch. But you had to admire him for continuing to go for the jumps.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I remember Paul Wylie at the World Professional Championships in 1997, what a mess he made of his competiton there. In the short program he missed about every jump he tried, I believe 6 jumps, hands down, stepped out, fell, or popped. The long was even worse, he started off by landing a single axel squarely on two foot, then falling on what turned out to be a double lutz, and just went from there. It was a performance that would not have won a novice sectionals event for girls probably, and an embarassment for this fine skater.