"weepy" eye on dog--what can I do? | Golden Skate

"weepy" eye on dog--what can I do?

backspin

On the Ice
I noticed last night my dog is getting lots of gunk in one eye. I keep wiping it & more appears in an hour or so. This morning the fur around the eye was wet & there was more gunk. Probably a small infection, or maybe got something in it when we were out in the woods yesterday. It doesn't seem to be bothering him, he's his usual jaunty self. Can't take him to the vet till tomorrow, as it's Sunday. Any suggestions of what I can do for him in the meantime?

sue123

Rinkside
My dog has I think a similar problem, although she's had since she was a puppy. It's because her eyes don't make enough tears, so that gunk is causing her eyes to be dry, or something along those lines. We have to put in artificial tears drops every day, a few times a day. Although she once had a problem where she was getting more of it, and her eyes were red, and she wouldn't open her eyes. She had an eye infection, and we weren't sure if she would keep her eyesight. BUt she did, and she's back to being her silly self.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yuka has goobers in her eye constantly... it's a pug thing... she does pretty well wiping them on the furnature :laugh:

Blue Bead

Medalist
backspin...Your dog probably got some sort of plant residue or small seeds in the soft tissue around inside of the eye from that romp in the woods you mentioned. As long as your dog isn't scratching and pawing at the eye, it's most like not a critical situation but if you notice the dog rubbing and pawing the eye I would find an emergency veterinary facility and have it checked out today.

Take the dog to the vet tomorrow for sure as foreign matter in the eye can scratch the surface of the cornea and do major damage there. You can continue to wipe away the accumulation of "gunk" as it forms; it's the body's defense against a foreign substance. The vet will clean out the irritant, check the surface of the eye for scratches and other damage. You might have to give your dog eye drops or an optic ointment for a few days to clear us any infection which might be present.

When I had dogs years ago there were always problems with weepy eyes after a run in the fields or the woods. Most of the time nothing went wrong but I kept an ointment on hand which was prescribed by my vet just for the purpose of heading off infections under those circumstances. After my dogs came indoors, I always checked the surface of their eyes to find any foreign substances and make sure there were no abrasions on the surface of the cornea.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Advice from a Vet Tech - Emergency v. Regular Vet Visit

One of our dog trainers is also a Vet Tech. The best advice she has given us in general terms is as follows:

1) Is your dog eating and especially drinking water normally? If so, it's probably not an emergency situation. (Can wait until normal vet hours on Monday)

2) Does your dog's nose feel normal? She can tell if it feels hot or cold, but the best way for US to tell is to "feel it" on normal healthy days. A hot or cold nose is an indication of normal or abnormal temperature.

3) Are your dog's gums a normal color? Once again, the best way to know this is to look at the gums on normal days so you can tell the difference. It's also good for your dog to get used to you inspecting their teeth and gums.

We had an issue with our male German Shepherd over the weekend at the last show. We could tell he was not "peeing normally." Indications could have been anything from a bladder or urinary tract infection to kidney disease. Our decision to wait until normal vet hours on Monday was based on:

1) Normal eating and drinking behaviour.

2) Normal nose and gums.

3) Normal other behaviour (usual activity).

As it turned out, we caught some sort of an infection early, and while he's on anti-biotics for 10 days, his symptoms cleared up in 3 days.

Really knowing your dog's NORMAL behavior, look and feel can make all the difference in the decision for emergency treatment, or regular treatment.

I'm now getting into a routine where I feel noses and look at gums on all my dogs every day. Just 2 cents.

DG

backspin

On the Ice
Blue Bead said:
backspin...Your dog probably got some sort of plant residue or small seeds in the soft tissue around inside of the eye from that romp in the woods you mentioned.

I think that's highly likely, as he was really TEARING through the underbrush at breakneck speed. The oak trees are dropping acorns & the chipmunks were out in full force!! :laugh:

He's not pawing at it, or refusing to open it, & has eaten his food & played with his toys all day so I think he's feeling pretty fine. The eye is pink & still a little weepy, so I'll call the vet in the morning.

Thanks for everyone's advice! I've thought it might be good to flush the eye, but I don't really know how to do that.

Blue Bead

Medalist
I've thought it might be good to flush the eye, but I don't really know how to do that.
Let your vet show you how to do that procedure if he thinks that is a wise move for future episodes. It's definitely a two-person job. None of my dogs ever let me flush their eyes if I tried it solo, LOL. It really takes a second pair of hands to try to hold the dog still while you do the flushing.

While you are at the vet's office ask him or her what kinds of first-aid supplies you should have on hand to treat your dog for the variety of mishaps dogs get themselves into. Then when something comes up on the future you'll be prepared to handle it.