December Marshall's Event? | Golden Skate

December Marshall's Event?

Lucy25

Final Flight
The USFSA TV schedule has this listed for broadcast on December 11th, but I can't find information on it anywhere. Does anyone know if this event for sure is going to happen? There is no listing for it at the Palace of Auburn Hills (where it has been for several years now). I know many are hoping this event won't happen because of the tight fall schedule, but selfishly I hope it does since I haven't missed going since the beginning.

I'd actually like to see this as an all-American event this year, sort of a lead in to Nationals.

nymkfan51

Medalist
I don't have any information Lucy ... but I would love for them to cancel this one. It comes at an awful time, right around the GP Final. In an Olympic year I think they could scratch this one ... IMO.

Lucy - There's a once every 4 years competition coming up which is either going to break the current top skaters or make them more grandiose. the Nationals are not that important this year other than to tweek the program.

The more important competitions coming up are the GPs. This will be an array of interntional skaters and judges - not just an all american showcase.

I think the December Marshalls will be rebroadcasted all over the world and all those international skaters will just say... ho hum.

Joe

The USFS schedule has the event listed for December 11 (a Sunday) -- the same date that it is supposed to be aired. I'm pretty sure they don't intend for the show to be a Sunday matinee broadcast live. To me, this says that they aren't really going to do it.

What would be cool would be a "we got next" show. They could invite all the skaters who didn't make it to the Grand Prix final. I wonder if there would be any audience appeal to a show headlined by, say, Kimmie Meissner, Emily Hughes, Bebe Liang and Alissa Czysny. There might be some international stars available, too, like Susanna Poikyo (if she doesn't make the GP final) and whichever of the Japanese ladies have a break in their schedule then.

Better yet, invite Mao Asada and Yu-na Kim.

To me, that would be a barnburner of a show!

Mathman

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yes, it's definitely on. Just check out the USFS TV schedule for 2005-2006, and there it is.

That is, unless there is/are some changes I don't know about...?

euterpe

Medalist
It's listed as an International event. But what international skaters would be interested in traveling all the way to the US in an Olympic season? Certainly not the top ones, especially not those going to the GPF in Japan.

I hope they cancel it. Nationals is the #1 most important event of the year for the US skaters who hope to make the Olympic team. NO ONE needs a fluff event at that time of the year, not this year.

soogar

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
I hope they cancel it. Nationals is the #1 most important event of the year for the US skaters who hope to make the Olympic team. NO ONE needs a fluff event at that time of the year, not this year.

There are US skaters that struggle to fund their training (even with aid from the USFS). The dollars won from such an event is very welcome to some of these skaters.

Red Dog said:
Yes, it's definitely on. Just check out the USFS TV schedule for 2005-2006, and there it is.

That is, unless there is/are some changes I don't know about...?
That's what I was just saying, RD. If you look at the USFS TV schedule if says that the tape date is the same as the airing date. My best guess is that they negotiated the date with ABC just in case, but if fact I don't thing they are going to do it.

This is just conjecture on my part, but I can't help but wonder if Michelle was slow about committing to it this year. Without a firm committment from Michelle, the sponsor may have got cold feet.

All just guesing, of course. But just because it is on the schedule doesn't mean it's going to happen.

MM

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
That's what I was just saying, RD. If you look at the USFS TV schedule if says that the tape date is the same as the airing date. My best guess is that they negotiated the date with ABC just in case, but if fact I don't thing they are going to do it.

This is just conjecture on my part, but I can't help but wonder if Michelle was slow about committing to it this year. Without a firm committment from Michelle, the sponsor may have got cold feet.

All just guesing, of course. But just because it is on the schedule doesn't mean it's going to happen.

MM

It's always possible that they might call it off. Actually if I were them I would go ahead with that. The skaters really need the break for the extra stress of the Olys.

And I totally wouldn't be shocked if MK had to do with this. Thinking about how this girl practically controls the endorsements and media coverage of the event, it seems totally feasible that without MK, the funding might have been lax.

But that's not a good thing at all. Once MK is gone, who they gonna call???

soogar said:
There are US skaters that struggle to fund their training (even with aid from the USFS). The dollars won from such an event is very welcome to some of these skaters.
ITA. And there are international skaters who wouldn't mind a pay day, too.

Here's my line-up:

Asada
Kim
Meissner
Hughes
Liang
Csyzny

For the men, we could have guys like Sean Sawyer, Nobunari Oda, the guy from Sweden, etc.

The only trouble is, without the mega-stars, could they raise enough money to pay the big purse? One monkey don't stop no show, but when the monkey is 800 pound gorilla MK,...

Mahman

Lucy25

Final Flight
Ok, so we don't know for sure yet. Hmmm...it seems like I had already bought my tickets by now in previous years. I think if there is not an announcement made in the next couple of weeks, it won't be on.

Joesitz - I'm not sure I understand your post at all. :laugh:

I like the idea of seeing the second tier of skaters, but it would never sell tickets.

If anyone hears or reads any news about this, I'd really appreciate the information! :)

Red Dog said:
But that's not a good thing at all. Once MK is gone, who they gonna call???
Michelle and Irina can keep coming back as pros. Throw in Shizuka and Fumie, if they retire from competition after this year, and you've got a pro competition that beats anything the eligibles can come up with.

Kill two birds with one stone -- revive pro competitions and keep the money and interest in the sport rolling in.

MM

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Michelle and Irina can keep coming back as pros. Throw in Shizuka and Fumie, if they retire from competition after this year, and you've got a pro competition that beats anything the eligibles can come up with.

Kill two birds with one stone -- revive pro competitions and keep the money and interest in the sport rolling in.

MM

True that- maybe from this, counting on the theory that all the big skaters leave at once, you could get a boost in pro skating the way it happened in the mid-1990s...

Lucy25

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
True that- maybe from this, counting on the theory that all the big skaters leave at once, you could get a boost in pro skating the way it happened in the mid-1990s...
From your fingers to the skate-god's ears!

OT - How come no one's post numbers are changing? It makes no difference to me, really, but I was just wondering.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Lucy25 said:
OT - How come no one's post numbers are changing? It makes no difference to me, really, but I was just wondering.

Seems like it's happening to me! (and as I submit this post, my post number goes up from 1,881 to 1,882. :yes: )

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IIRC, last year, the December cheesefest was international, judged by ISU international judges. Maybe, the problem is that the ISU -- who got real mad when skaters were doing cheesefests, but opting out of the GP (or the GPF) -- hasn't sanctioned it yet, so the USFSA doesn't know who they can invite.

Lucy25 said:
Joesitz - I'm not sure I understand your post at all. :laugh:
I'm just thinking who would come just before Nats? Certainly no international skater will make the trip before their own Nats and the Olys looming quite near. Jet lag, loss of practice, etc., etc. And they know who will win the big bucks.
Besides, they've just finished the more important GPs.

It will be a competition of American skaters signifying nothing. It's not a championship. IMO, it will be a showcase for fans of American skaters who just want to see their favorite skate as much as possible :laugh:

The showcase competition is better served after Worlds next year.

Joe

Lucy25

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
I'm just thinking who would come just before Nats? Certainly no international skater will make the trip before their own Nats and the Olys looming quite near. Jet lag, loss of practice, etc., etc. And they know who will win the big bucks.
Besides, they've just finished the more important GPs.

It will be a competition of American skaters signifying nothing. It's not a championship. IMO, it will be a showcase for fans of American skaters who just want to see their favorite skate as much as possible :laugh:

The showcase competition is better served after Worlds next year.

Joe

But it is like this every year, even before the last Olympics. So why should this year be any different?

dr.frog

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Lucy - There's a once every 4 years competition coming up which is either going to break the current top skaters or make them more grandiose. the Nationals are not that important this year other than to tweek the program.

I beg to differ with the idea that Nationals are "not that important" this year. For many skaters, this Nationals will be the most important competition of their career -- because it'll be their only chance to *qualify* for the Olympics. Regardless of how they actually might perform at the OOOOOs, just getting there at all is a major goal, both as a lifetime experience and because the additional publicity any US skater at the OOOOOs would receive would be a big boost to their subsequent professional career.

dr.frog

On the Ice
Mathman said:
For the men, we could have guys like Sean Sawyer, Nobunari Oda, the guy from Sweden, etc.

Why should the USFSA offer a paycheck to a bunch of obscure foreign skaters while overlooking all the deserving US men who are struggling to pay their skating bills?