training outside the rink.. | Golden Skate

training outside the rink..

Dutch Skater

Rinkside
Hi there!

I have a couple of questions, where i skate we don't train on the ground and stuff.. And i would like to train that for myself..

So my questions are:

-What kind of single jumps can you train on the ground and how (please an easy discription.. :p )

-Whats the best way to train your condition, just go for a run or something else?

-I also wanna take ballet classes, but, i'm allready 15 and I don't have a lot of time, is it posible to take classes when you never did ballet before, and max. 1 time a week?

-What do you train outside the rink?

Thnx allready! :cool:

Hi, Dutch Skater. I moved your thread here to the Lutz corner, where skaters get together to talk about their own skating experiences. I think you will get more responses here than in the Edge.

Mathman :)

Dutch Skater

Rinkside
Mathman said:
Hi, Dutch Skater. I moved your thread here to the Lutz corner, where skaters get together to talk about their own skating experiences. I think you will get more responses here than in the Edge.

Mathman :)
Okeee.. thanks! no problem!!

jesslily

Final Flight
Dutch Skater,
All the jumps, single, double, and triple can be practiced on the floor. Carpeted floor or exercise mat are good to jump on.
Running, lifting weight, dancing, and all other sports are good for conditioning. Make sure you work on arms, legs, and trunk evenly.

Dutch Skater

Rinkside
jesslily said:
Dutch Skater,
All the jumps, single, double, and triple can be practiced on the floor. Carpeted floor or exercise mat are good to jump on.
Running, lifting weight, dancing, and all other sports are good for conditioning. Make sure you work on arms, legs, and trunk evenly.

Aah oke, that sounds nice, but what is ''trunk''? Is that your upperbody or something? :p

And another thing, the toeloop I can jump on the ground now, but i can't do the salchow, can someone give me any tips?

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Dutch Skater said:
Aah oke, that sounds nice, but what is ''trunk''? Is that your upperbody or something? :p

And another thing, the toeloop I can jump on the ground now, but i can't do the salchow, can someone give me any tips?

Trunk = abdomen

For the salchow, you have to hop the three turn off ice, which you would never do on ice. So it's forward, hop turn, hop to back "edge", jump. You'll get a kind of rhythm to it.

Do you have a coach or a high level skater that could help you off ice jumps? I never did any until I started working with my coach off ice. The chances for injuries are high if you aren't doing things correctly.

jesslily

Final Flight
Good supporting surface to land on the jumps and your body's total fitness are two key factors to reduce the injury.

icy fresh

On the Ice
Half of my training is done off-ice! It helps a lot. There are many things that you can practice off-ice. Already mentioned, jumps definitely become easier on-ice when they are mastered off-ice! So work on those. Also, if you can enroll in a Pilates or yoga class that would be great, too. If not, you can buy a Pilates or yoga video to do! That's what I do. In addition, I have a personalized off-ice trainnig program including cardio work like running, stomach work, flexibility, and upper and lower body strength. Another off-ice avenue, is dance. Once a week, I work with a private instructor on interpretation. I bring in my skating music and she helps me with my presentation! Stretching helps a lot, too! Being flexible is a great foundation for beautiful spins (camels, laybacks), ina bauers, spirals, and overall line!

Good luck.

Dutch Skater

Rinkside
sk8er1964 said:
Trunk = abdomen

For the salchow, you have to hop the three turn off ice, which you would never do on ice. So it's forward, hop turn, hop to back "edge", jump. You'll get a kind of rhythm to it.

Do you have a coach or a high level skater that could help you off ice jumps? I never did any until I started working with my coach off ice. The chances for injuries are high if you aren't doing things correctly.

Thnx everyone!

And no, i don't have a coach who can help me with it.. Ofcourse I have coaches (9 i guess), but they are also training together 260 kids.. So I don't think they have got the time to help me off the ice.. But i'm gonna try this myself thnx!