Grand Prix Teams Challenge | Golden Skate

Grand Prix Teams Challenge

Jennifer

On the Ice
In this contest, you choose a 16 member team (plus alternates) to compete in the 6 Grand Prix events (excluding the final).

Scoring
You will receive 12 points for each 1st place finish, 11 points for each 2nd place finish, down to 1 point for each 12th place finish. Each skater/team you select will have both of their finishes counted.

Unlike previous years, skaters/teams with only 1 assignment will count towards your score. Skaters/teams with only one assignment are indicated on the entry form with an asterisk (*) after their name. A skater or team will only be replaced with an alternate if they withdraw from all of their events.

Results will be updated and a message posted to this forum after each event.

If after submitting your entry, you wish to make a change, please resubmit it using the same name as you used the first time. It would be helpful if you added revised in brackets after your name.

Entries must be submitted using the entry form. Entries posted in this thread will not be scored. If the entry form does not work for you, please try again later. If after several attempts it still doesn't work, you can send it to me via private message. Please use this as a last resort and contact me first for details on the make up of the teams. Please check your messages the next day to see if your entry complied with the rules. This does not apply to entries sent using the entry form. The form will not allow you to submit an invalid team.

If you enter your e-mail address and do not receive a confirmation message, please do not resubmit. Contact me first by private message and I will confirm it that way. Don't forget to tell me what name you used to enter.

New this year, I will also attempt to e-mail the link to the results when they are available. As always entering your e-mail address is completely optional.

The deadline for entries is October 19, 2005. Good luck!

Entry Form

tdnuva

On the Ice
I am not sure I understand this completely. And when I try to check the entry form I already have to start something I don't know yet much about....

So - am I to choose between the skaters seeded for grand prix? What is a first place finish.... does it mean winning one grand prix or being on top at the list after six grand prix or winning the final? Why would I choose someone with only one grand prix start who quite for sure won't have much chances to go to the final?

All in all I am a bit confused ;)

Jennifer

On the Ice
tdnuva said:
So - am I to choose between the skaters seeded for grand prix? What is a first place finish.... does it mean winning one grand prix or being on top at the list after six grand prix or winning the final? Why would I choose someone with only one grand prix start who quite for sure won't have much chances to go to the final?

You choose between all of the skaters scheduled to compete in a Grand Prix event. A first place finish refers to winning a Grand Prix event. The Grand Prix Final is not scored in this contest.

Skaters with only one event are included in case anyone wants to pick them. It is not advantageous to do so, but some skaters will get a second assignment when others have to withdraw, so you never know.

Jennifer it would help if you give a link to the entries as of today for each GP. The form insists on an id before you get to page 2.

Joe

Jennifer

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Jennifer it would help if you give a link to the entries as of today for each GP. The form insists on an id before you get to page 2.

Joe
Now, that would be a long list! You can just enter a dummy name on the first page, nothing gets sent until you click submit on the final page (dance predictions) anyway.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Jennifer!!

Well, in classic form of "Ready, Fire, Aim!" I went ahead and entered even though I do have a question about how this works.

I assume that the actual points awarded during the series to the people on my team are what is added up?

This reminds me of a game we play through the Indy car race season in our family. You pick a driver team which consists of a limited number of choices among the top ranked drivers, limited choices among the next best grouping of drivers, etc. My brothers have this really complicated way of scoring, and replacing pulled drivers, etc. I just pick a team at the beginning of the season and let it ride. :) I won it one year and my brothers had to "make me" a trophy. ;)

This should be a fun addition to the existing excitement of the GP season!

DG

Jennifer

On the Ice
Doggygirl said:
I assume that the actual points awarded during the series to the people on my team are what is added up?

DG

No, I am using a different points system than what the ISU uses.

I am awarding 12 points for each first place, 11 points for second place, 10 points for third place all the way down to 1 point for finishing twelfth. All the points for each team member are added up after each event and the winner is the person with the highest accumulated total.

I will post a complete break down of the points after each event so you can check to see exactly how I come up with your score.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Jennifer said:
No, I am using a different points system than what the ISU uses.

I am awarding 12 points for each first place, 11 points for second place, 10 points for third place all the way down to 1 point for finishing twelfth. All the points for each team member are added up after each event and the winner is the person with the highest accumulated total.

I will post a complete break down of the points after each event so you can check to see exactly how I come up with your score.

Sorry to be such a dope. That was obviously outlined in your first post. I guess we can figure out who a likely "LOSER" in this contest will be, right?? ;)

Thanks!
DG

This was a time consuming project. Could you explain why:

in the boxes there were names that I would not necessarily choose?

what is meant by alternates? and why couldn't I choose my own?

why have so many * listed with only one GP? (MK was one and only exception)

why was Tim Goebel left out?

Other than that, it's ok if I understand the meanings of the above.

Joe

Jennifer

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
This was a time consuming project. Could you explain why:

in the boxes there were names that I would not necessarily choose?

what is meant by alternates? and why couldn't I choose my own?

why have so many * listed with only one GP? (MK was one and only exception)

why was Tim Goebel left out?

Other than that, it's ok if I understand the meanings of the above.

Joe
All the names in the drop down boxes should have worked correctly. If you deleted names and added new ones you would have problems if you left spaces between the names as the script would think you had selected too many names.

Alternates are replacements for any skaters on your team who withdraw from all of their events. You couldn't choose your own alternates because every skater with at least one GP was on the list at the time I started the contest.

Michelle Kwan wasn't listed with an asterisk after her name because I didn't know she had withdrawn from Skate America until an hour after I posted the contest.

Tim Goebel is listed in the second men's box: places 4-10 (this is based on 2005 Worlds results).

I don't think you understood my questions. When I used the drop down boxes I had to choose from one of three names. The name I would have chosen wasn't there? Why? In otheer words, my real pick for GPF which would be Lambiel I will have to wait until Buttle withdraws: Is that correct?

You have given me a team which I would never have selected.

Sorry I was not clear on my post. Skaters with one GP. will not make the Finals. So why list them? MK was the sole exception in 2004 and it will never happen again.

Anyway, good luck with the project.

Joe

Last edited:

Jennifer

On the Ice
Well, I'm not actually scoring the Grand Prix Final. The idea is to pick the strongest team in the 6 Grand Prix events, not who you think is going to win the GP Final.

In otheer words, my real pick for GPF which would be Lambiel I will have to wait until Buttle withdraws: Is that correct?
Lambiel is in the top 3 box as he won Worlds last year. I don't understand why you would have to pick Buttle instead. You can rank Buttle, Lambiel and Lysacek in any order you like.

You have given me a team which I would never have selected.
You are welcome to resubmit if you like.