Kwan Injured - Pulling out of Cambell's & Skate America... Life is NOT Fair | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kwan Injured - Pulling out of Cambell's & Skate America... Life is NOT Fair

mzheng

Record Breaker
soogar said:
So what if the doctor's name is listed. Doctors do what their patients want them to do. If a patient is a little sick and needs a note from the doctor to miss work, the doctor will give the patient the note and probably tack on a few more days of rest just to be sure.

She has an injury that is going to be "cured" with rest. This is a sport and muscles get strained all the time. If she wants the time off, the doctor will give it to her and then some just to ensure that she is fully recovered.

That's not what I've heard. It was not a little sick, nobody who is a little sick would take what the treatment he doctor gave to her. But given your posting history, it's useless to argue with you on any issue regarding of Kwan.

She had the fully intention to go Campbell. Otherwise she'd announce this earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
soogar said:
So what if the doctor's name is listed. Doctors do what their patients want them to do. If a patient is a little sick and needs a note from the doctor to miss work, the doctor will give the patient the note and probably tack on a few more days of rest just to be sure.

She has an injury that is going to be "cured" with rest. This is a sport and muscles get strained all the time. If she wants the time off, the doctor will give it to her and then some just to ensure that she is fully recovered.

Ok... NOW your post makes sense!!!

So, we should also assume that...

Irinia isn't sick but just a bit winded and wanted to spend more time at Target...

Sasha's back was strained last year, she was just relaxing & making cookies

Diva's foot was wasn't injured, she just wanted to save her pedicure for those new Jimmy Choos...

Sound silly? Of course it is... Unless of course the discussion is about Kwan then all bets are off... :sheesh:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Adding more difficult jumps and jump combos to her program must be taking its toll as it does for skaters. Michelle has always played it safe so to speak, but now has to go up against the younger generation. It only stands to reason she would have to face possible injury at some point. Many skaters today push themselves far too hard to achieve such a high level.

Sorry to hear the news and wish her a speedy recovery.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Thanks for the clarification Red Dog ... sorry if I misunderstood what you were saying.

And thanks to those of you wishing Michelle a complete recovery. I'm sure this is a very disconcerting thing to have happen .. especially in an Olympic year. She needs the support of her fans now more than ever. :love:

Crizzy

Rinkside
I wish her well and for a speedy recovery.

Ptichka, thanks for the link. So I guess Dr. Yu is part of an ISU doctor since he's under USFSA? Or will Michelle have to see one of Speedy's doctors?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Adding more difficult jumps and jump combos to her program must be taking its toll as it does for skaters. Michelle has always played it safe so to speak, but now has to go up against the younger generation. It only stands to reason she would have to face possible injury at some point.

No kidding. The worst case scenario that could come out of this is that after this injury, Kwan *COULD* decide that she just cannot keep up with the younger ones and then decide to hang up her skates. But Kwan doesn't really come across to me as a quitter.

She knows that playing it safe won't work. But I equate what might have happened to the phenomenon of "cramming" for an exam- you take it easy and don't think about the test until it is 3 days away- then you scramble and kick into overdrive to try to learn all the material for the test. You will burn yourself out, and, worst of all, you won't do so well on that test because you'll forget everything.

So- to complete this comparison, Kwan took it easy for three years, knowing that she was being passed by others, and slipping in the world rankings. But now that the Olympics are nearing, wanting to go for the gold one last time, it (finally) starts to sink in; she realizes how far behind she is and tries to work harder than usual. But because she is not used to this type of work, she puts herself more at risk for an injury. And now here we are.

(Note that this is only my speculation- it's not based on any facts.)

But lots of skaters get injured without the "playing it safe" mentality. There's the other extreme as well; you just push yourself WAY too hard. But this is telling, because as I said before when was the last time Kwan was out with an injury? As Kwan fans love to say, she supposedly "knows her body". But apparently, and unfortunately, not this time.

JMO.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
soogar said:
I don't think she's injured. I just think that she doesn't want to compete in the GP (again) and had to pull out of Campbell's because of the Yevgeny issue last year.

This is really an uncalled for remark and a low blow! I am far from being an kwaniac. I can criticize the girl from here to Sunday and probably have a few times. However, I have always had a great deal of respect for her talent and sportsmanship. She's a class act and always has been. She's never been one to plead injury, no matter how much criticism she has had to take for it. She could have spared herself a lot of trouble on several occasions, if she had done so. Considering how long she has been competing, it's amazing how few her injuries have been. I don't believe for a minute that she's lying. There is no reason to doubt her ethics and it's wrong to cast slurs on her character. She has always behaved like a true champion.

jesslily

Final Flight
I believe that Michelle is really injured. I doubt that USFSA and her doctor help her to make excuse. Michelle has not been very fit since 2003. When she started training hard to get all the jumps solid, hip injury happened. I hope she recovers soon.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Wow, this is terrible news. I was so looking to seeing Michelle's new SP and LP (and Michelle herself, of course)! She's doing the right thing, though. Good luck with the healing process, Michelle!

So Emily Hughes replaces Michelle at Skate America? hmmm... and she's also skating at Campbell's. hmmm....uh, OK. For all of Emily's natural charm, power & early-good-luck at winning one bronze medal in one event last spring, I fear that ABC/ESPN is 'using' her name & may be setting her up for failure (unless Emily has really improved on her flow and grace in six months' time).

Happy to read that Alissa Czisny has been named as Michelle's replacement to the Campbell's event. [Emily was already on the Campbell's roster.]

Another big positive that I've just read on the USFigureSkating site: Michael Weiss will skate in Campbell's! How could we ever be denied an early look at Mike? It's a ten-year tradition. By now, Annie Mae must be old enough to be dating. :rock: :rock: :rock:

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Red Dog said:
... Kwan took it easy for three years, knowing that she was being passed by others, and slipping in the world rankings. But now that the Olympics are nearing, wanting to go for the gold one last time, it (finally) starts to sink in; she realizes how far behind she is and tries to work harder than usual. But because she is not used to this type of work, she puts herself more at risk for an injury. And now here we are.

(Note that this is only my speculation- it's not based on any facts.) ...

JMO.

I doubt it, simply because if it only "finally" started to sink in now that she needs to "step things up technically", then she would be too stupid to get into UCLA -- and she did do that. I think (1) this is a bigger shock because it is the almost-never-injured Kwan; if this was Sasha, whose doctor said her back was strained, we would react differently; and (2) Kwan is "playing it safe" by resting her body now, instead of doing what other skaters might have done -- skate through the pain, and wind up with a more serious injury later.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
People make me so mad

I cannot believe that people are using Michelle Kwan's injury as a way to get out of the GP:mad:

Michelle Kwan will NEVER..........EVER fake her injury just to get out of the GP:mad:

She really wants to compete so that she can get experience under the COP and get ready for the Olympics.

God, this makes me so mad

R.D.

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
I doubt it, simply because if it only "finally" started to sink in now that she needs to "step things up technically", then she would be too stupid to get into UCLA -- and she did do that.

1) Remember how she used to keep saying "I need to step it up." But, for one reason or another, it never seemed to happen. :scratch:

2) I dunno, man- some of the comments she made during the year (especially when Cop came along) have left me wondering whether she really was trying to wait it out or not. I think of Sarah Hughes not keeping up with her skills during her time with SOI.

I think (1) this is a bigger shock because it is the almost-never-injured Kwan; if this was Sasha, whose doctor said her back was strained, we would react differently; and (2) Kwan is "playing it safe" by resting her body now, instead of doing what other skaters might have done -- skate through the pain, and wind up with a more serious injury later.

Now, this ITA with. Cohen's always getting injured. And Kwan is definitely playing it safe but it's the good kind of "playing it safe". She's trying to keep herself in good health, and I can't fault her for that. Where I CAN get at her though is her insistence on maintaining the status quo all these years. She has truly stagnated- or you could even argue that she's on her way down. But this isn't bad- no one stays great forever. Not even Mike.

Lucy25

Final Flight
soogar said:
I don't think she's injured. I just think that she doesn't want to compete in the GP (again) and had to pull out of Campbell's because of the Yevgeny issue last year.
Anyone actually suprised by this post, please raise your hand.

I think it is very telling that she dropped out of the USFSA event. There is no way she would ever do that without good reason.

jesslily said:
Michelle has not been very fit since 2003.
This is another post that makes me go "huh??".

On a more (very) selfish note, does this mean we have to wait until CoC to know her music??

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Well, with Michelle Kwan out, Ms. Sasha Cohen should win this hands down.

That is if "inconsistency" gets the best of her and Shizuka wins

But, you never know with Sasha:eek:hwell:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think it is very telling that she dropped out of the USFSA event. There is no way she would ever do that without good reason.

That's the other thing that caught my eye. She's not only "skipping" the GP (or at least SA) but she's unable to go to an invitational. She's NEVER skipped one of these before. That gives me further reason to believe she really is hurt this time.

Also- I don't think USFS would let her "skip" Campbell's in favor of making it seem as if she really has an injury but just doesn't want to do the GP. MK brings in a lot of revenue to an event and once she is gone, the event has just lost some major star power. Of course you still have Cohen, but she isn't well-known outside of skating circles like Kwan is.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If you think about it though it's kind of sad- Kwan has done this (skip the GP) so many times now and given so many "reasons" that now when she might be really injured, some people actually have a tough time believing her. :eek:hwell:

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
Even if the doctor had not gone on record, the fact that Michelle has had absolutely no problem in the past in simply stating that it was not in her best interests to skate the GP and she wanted to stick with her scaled-back plan - lends all the credibility I need to consider this a legit injury. In other words, why assume she's making it up when she's not made up injury-related excuses in the past.

Frankly I'm amazed that she's gone this long without an injury. Even with a scaled-back competitive approach since 2003, she still practiced regularly and has a LOT of wear and tear just from her many years at the senior level. When you consider her longevity, I'm stunned at how healthy she's been able to be in this sport.

She understands the value of listening to both her own body and her doctor's advice, so I expect she'll recover quickly.

R.D.

Record Breaker
In other words, why assume she's making it up when she's not made up injury-related excuses in the past.

Well-- remember that "back injury" (or whatever it was) from last year she used to pull out RIGHT AFTER Campbell's? And to top it off, she skated in the pro-am event right afterward. But this one sounds more believable, and actually makes some sense given the situation. The timing of it though is really bad.

Frankly I'm amazed that she's gone this long without an injury. Even with a scaled-back competitive approach since 2003, she still practiced regularly and has a LOT of wear and tear just from her many years at the senior level. When you consider her longevity, I'm stunned at how healthy she's been able to be in this sport.

It is something. However, I'd say it's something that she wasn't injured from the period of 1998-2002. From then on, she really DID take it easy. Who knows, if she didn't, she might have had this happen to her earlier. But stuff like this happens. Injuries don't discriminate- everyone is at risk for them.

She understands the value of listening to both her own body and her doctor's advice, so I expect she'll recover quickly.

I will say this, and I'll say it only once: As soon as she's healthy enough she needs to COMPETE.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Red Dog said:
1) Remember how she used to keep saying "I need to step it up." But, for one reason or another, it never seemed to happen. :scratch:
What do you call '00 Worlds FS and '01 Worlds FS, for the two biggest examples? IIRC, she did several clean programs, with seven triples, including a 3/3 between Nagano and SLC. It did happen -- just not at SLC.

[I don't know how to get multiple quote boxes on the same page]

"I dunno, man- some of the comments she made during the year (especially when Cop came along) have left me wondering whether she really was trying to wait it out or not. I think of Sarah Hughes not keeping up with her skills during her time with SOI."

Her "Bolero" free skate (not one of her best, and not CoP-friendly at all) came in third at Worlds in that portion -- with a mistake. I think she might well have been undecided, but I think she is in a much stronger position to come back than Sarah --- who completely let her skating go.