Kwan Injured - Pulling out of Cambell's & Skate America... Life is NOT Fair | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Kwan Injured - Pulling out of Cambell's & Skate America... Life is NOT Fair

nymkfan51 said:
I find this remark to be insulting. I can't even imagine why you would say it, but that's a discussion for another time I guess.

For now, I just wish Michelle a full and speedy recovery.
I can't say this surprises me though. She hasn't really taken a break from the ice all year. Maybe in the long run this will help her, with some time to rest.

I find the remark typical from a Kwan Hater, and especially one whose interest in skating is limited due his simplistic knowledge of the sport.

Joe

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
What do you call '00 Worlds FS and '01 Worlds FS, for the two biggest examples? IIRC, she did several clean programs, with seven triples, including a 3/3 between Nagano and SLC. It did happen -- just not at SLC.

Before I respond to this, I know what you are doing wrong- you need to "close" the quote box. Put a slash (/) next to the quote at the end (like this [/quote] ). You can also have multiple quotes- just be sure to separate them from each other. just put the word "quote" in brackets, then when you are done with the quote, but "/quote" in brackets. That's it.

Now, to respond to your comment. I wasn't following skating much from the period of 1998 to 2002, so she *might* have stepped it up for those two performances. However, that was before she fired her coach. Ever since she did that, she's been stagnating and falling behind. I really don't think anyone could claim that MK has improved dramatically from late 2001 to the present time. What's more, DURING THIS TIME PERIOD she constantly kept saying that she needs to "up the ante" in interviews. But it NEVER HAPPENED! The Olympics are four months away and her chances for gold have all but slipped away!

Her "Bolero" free skate (not one of her best, and not CoP-friendly at all) came in third at Worlds in that portion -- with a mistake. I think she might well have been undecided, but I think she is in a much stronger position to come back than Sarah --- who completely let her skating go.

This might be possible. But if working at her current (elevated) pace seems to give her problems, then she may have a tough time ahead of her.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I find the remark typical from a Kwan Hater, and especially one whose interest in skating is limited due his simplistic knowledge of the sport.

Joe

I find this remark typical from a Kwan fan- always assuming that anyone who doesn't bow to her very presence is a hater. :eek:hwell: What's new? :scratch:

Also- I suppose you didn't read the whole thread, where later on this issue was resolved once and for all. And I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
What we DON'T know...

Many things that I would call speculations with no foundation at all have already come up in this thread.

On MK's injury - I'm a bit surprised that anyone makes a comment that MK is "faking this to get out of GP" or anything along those lines. If you have a rational reason to believe that - i.e. you know MK, her coach, her doctor, her family personally and they have personally told you this, then bring in on. Otherwise, how can any rational person speculate this sort of thing?

While MK's doctor did make an official comment, he did NOT indicate any cause of injury - i.e. 1) a specific event such as a strange fall that was the direct cause or 2) a change in training (loop jumps have been speculated) in the short term i.e. over the past summer or 3) years of gradual "pounding" on the hip ligament leading to a longer term type gradual injury. I don't think anyone here knows.

On the speculation that COP is "causing" more injuries. I've seen no actual studies or any statistics to back that up. FS is an athletic sport, and throughout the years athletes have sustained injuries while pursuing their goals. While I'm open to a debate on COP v. 6.0 and the injury rates, there is a lot more to it than pure speculation I would want to see before debating this. Women have been chasing 3/3's for many years, and men have been chasing quads for many years more pre-COP than post-COP along with accompanying injuries, which is a risk that all of these fine athletes choose to take.

To sum it up, I wish MK a speedy recovery. I do not have an opinion about how this injury occured and don't have any information to form such an opinion. (and if any of you do, please share it) I hope she is able to heal and come back, as I hope for every athlete who becomes injured in pursuit of their sport and their dreams. IMO, I have seen nothing that would lead me to personally believe she is making this up to avoid GP's, or any other sort of theory along those lines.

DG

Red Dog said:
Now, to respond to your comment. I wasn't following skating much from the period of 1998 to 2002.

OBVIOUSLY

AND TOTALLY CONFUSED BETWEEN 2002 AND 2006. Am I correct?

Joe

Lucy25

Final Flight
Doggygirl said:
Many things that I would call speculations with no foundation at all have already come up in this thread.
I absolutely agree. The speculations would be humorous if they weren't so sad. As for me, I am going by what we have been told: 1) She has an injury that will keep her off the ice for two weeks then take a month to rehabilitate. 2) That she hopes to continue training for the rest of the season and go to CoC before Nationals and then hopefully making the Olympic team. I love that people are speculating that not only is Michelle faking, but that her chances of Olympic gold are now gone. Go figure.:confused:

R.D.

Record Breaker
1) She is GOING to make the Olympic team. All she has to do is show up at Nats, given she's healthy enough to skate. What's more, she's all but guaranteed a 10th US title. I need not go into detail.

2) Her chances at Oly Gold may not be totally gone but IMO they are slipping away.

3) I believe she is injured, and I've already explained why.

4) This is my opinion, and I'm sticking with it.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
1) She is GOING to make the Olympic team. All she has to do is show up at Nats, given she's healthy enough to skate. What's more, she's all but guaranteed a 10th US title. I need not go into detail.

2) Her chances at Oly Gold may not be totally gone but IMO they are slipping away.

I agree.................I think that yes her chances for Olympic Gold are slipping away but hey.......Miracles do happen.....Just take a look at Irina Slutskaya and the season she just had after being absent for over a year

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
Well-- remember that "back injury" (or whatever it was) from last year she used to pull out RIGHT AFTER Campbell's? And to top it off, she skated in the pro-am event right afterward. But this one sounds more believable, and actually makes some sense given the situation. The timing of it though is really bad. .

Actually, she didn't say she was withdrawing due to injury. She withdrew at the last minute and said she didn't want to push her body so hard. Instead, she wanted to pace herself for the sake of a longer career. She was roundly criticised for that and I was one of the critics. That's why I believe she is telling the truth.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Lucy25 said:
I absolutely agree. The speculations would be humorous if they weren't so sad. As for me, I am going by what we have been told: 1) She has an injury that will keep her off the ice for two weeks then take a month to rehabilitate. 2) That she hopes to continue training for the rest of the season and go to CoC before Nationals and then hopefully making the Olympic team. I love that people are speculating that not only is Michelle faking, but that her chances of Olympic gold are now gone. Go figure.:confused:

Hi Lucy25. I now know we have TWO things in common. Our agreement on these speculations, and also the fact that we are both "Master Procrastinators!"

:) DG

millie

Medalist
Kwan has also withdrawn from the U.S. Olympic Committee Media Summit in Colorado Springs Oct. 9 - 12th.

I have been wondering if she has been injured for awhile. The reason I say this because of the blackout on her practice reports. Just a thought.

Well wishes for Michelle.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
SusanBeth said:
Actually, she didn't say she was withdrawing due to injury. She withdrew at the last minute and said she didn't want to push her body so hard. Instead, she wanted to pace herself for the sake of a longer career. She was roundly criticised for that and I was one of the critics.

That's odd. There WAS speculation that she had some kind of "injury" though. But I fully believe her when she says she doesn't want to "push...too hard." :laugh:

I'm getting the feeling that she really didn't "pace herself"- she waited until a certain point to kick the gear into overdrive. By this I don't mean frantic practicing and heavy-duty training but just doing a bunch of elements she wasn't used to doing before. In other words, actually UPPING THE ANTE. But this is only my speculation.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
You know.....this just got me thinking.

Michelle should be competing at the Four Continents for experience considering her next competion might be the Marshall's World Cup in December

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:

That's the thing about opinions regarding who we think is going to win & who actually wins... Us Kwan fans understand this...

I also understand that in 2004 I thought that Irinia was done, Diva would become the current darling and Sasha wouldn't make the '05 World podium...

Kwan is Kwan & will continue to be the GOAT (just like Mike!)... She has just a good a shot at gold as three other ladies...

With all the obvious responses to this topic, I would like to say, I understand Soogar's rather not well thought out remark. Let's be honest. Kwan has been avoiding the GPs for the past two years, but always manages the cheesefests, the nationals and the worlds. Maybe she was looking for an excuse to get out of this season's GPs. You have to admit, there is a pattern here. We will know more by her final decision whether to skate the COC. If she doesn't skate the COC and the hip heals for the Nationals, well.... you have to understand Soogar and Curious remarks and maybe they are not so flippant.

Anyway, from my point of view which is based more on realism than on favoritism or hatred.....I find this news very sad in many ways, not the least of which is her injury. But, she's out of Campbells - that's interesting because it is not in the pattern. She intends to skate one of the GPs - obviously she does not want to be involved in the Finals.
Will the hip heal for cheesefest II? for the Nationals? for the Olympics?

In summary There will be no international competitions before COC, and then only if she goes there. No feedback on this program no matter how well the American judges see it at cheesefest II, and Nationals. We must continue to wait for Kwan, and as usual the news will be at the last minute.

With only one feedback at COC if she goes there, I can not see any Oly medal unless there really was successful work on upping the technical. I'm sure TT gave her a lovely program and I still consider her the best skater in the world, but I do not see her as the best competitive skater in the world. She'll have to prove that to me.

In the meantime, let's hope the hip heals as soon as possible.

Joe

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Let's be honest. Kwan has been avoiding the GPs for the past two years, but always manages the cheesefests, the nationals and the worlds. Maybe she was looking for an excuse to get out of this season's GPs. You have to admit, there is a pattern here. We will know more by her final decision whether to skate the COC. If she doesn't skate the COC and the hip heals for the Nationals, well.... you have to understand Soogar and Curious remarks and maybe they are not so flippant.

This has me scratching my head right now. The timing is really bad on this. And it could be perceived as rather "convenient". But I think (FOR NOW) the "evidence" points to her really being injured.

So, she's out of Campbell's and SA. Will she do the Coc? This is burning question that will be on every Kwan fan's mind for the next two months. If she doesn't, that will be one thing (maybe took a little longer than expected?). But if she does the December event, the red flag immediately goes up. Regardless of whether her injury is real or not, she WOULD get out of doing the GP- for the fourth time- and that would be a FACT.

But once Nationals kicks in, I expect her to be competitive. Will she be good enough to win Nats? That's our $100 question. But will she be good enough to win the Olys? Our $1,000,000 question.

ITA with the last part of the post.

Last edited:
I think you are just paraphrasing my thoughts.

One thing you should try to understand, there are many Sasha fans who like Kwan and they are concerned too. I think Irina and Sasha and all the competitors are concerned about her. That's sportsmanship.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
One thing you should try to understand, there are many Sasha fans who like Kwan and they are concerned too. I think Irina and Sasha and all the competitors are concerned about her.

I understand this as well. None of us here would wish injury on a competitor, and the vast majority out there wouldn't. But at the same time that I hope for a speedy recovery from kwan (and the other skaters), I'm also a realist- and I won't be any easier on her just because she's hurt. JMO-

emma

Record Breaker
Lucy25 said:
On a more (very) selfish note, does this mean we have to wait until CoC to know her music??

I know, right? I couldn't help but think the same thing.