Kwan Injured - Pulling out of Cambell's & Skate America... Life is NOT Fair | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Kwan Injured - Pulling out of Cambell's & Skate America... Life is NOT Fair

waxel

Final Flight
This topic has been hashed and trashed thoroughly by this point so I don't have much to add. I too am disappointed because, like everyone else, I was looking forward to seeing Michelle's programs at Campbell's and SA. But I don't think fans who doubted the sincerity (or extent) of the reported injury should be drawn and quartered... speculation is the life blood of this board. I content myself in the (shared) opinion that over the years Michelle seems to "know her body" and acts accordingly. So I will support her decision and actually "hope" (please don't bash me) that the extent of the injury may be slightly exaggerated. BY THAT I mean that she will heal more quickly!

Although I agree with others that the CoP experience she would get at CoC would be most beneficial- I think it's doubtful she'll go. I'm not sure there's sufficient time for her to fully recover and why risk further strain if she hasn't returned to top form?

Competing at 4CC is an interesting thought. Would she actually compete at what is considered (no disrespect intended) to be a low-rent event? I suppose what happens at Nats will tell that story. If she sails though CoP (and who knows... it could happen), 4CC would seem unnecessary.

I'm a Kwan fan, a Cohen fan, even a Slutskaya fan... there are plenty of us out there. I regret that the start of this most anticipated season has taken a bit of a hit. But my continued hope is for a thrilling season with ALL skaters performing at the top of their games!

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
waxel said:
Competing at 4CC is an interesting thought. Would she actually compete at what is considered (no disrespect intended) to be a low-rent event? I suppose what happens at Nats will tell that story. If she sails though CoP (and who knows... it could happen), 4CC would seem unnecessary.QUOTE]

Well considering 4CC are in the U.S. in Colorado, I think it would be very wise for her to compete not just for COP experience but for adjustments to the altitude considering the arena in Torino must be on a mountain

kyla2

Final Flight
Thoughts

I have been worried about this, and frankly, it doesn't surprise me. I don't think this bodes well overall for the Olympics. I think all these triple-triple combinations are ruinous to the body, the hips specifically and she isn't 14 anymore (not that she is an old lady mind you). So it's going to be a tough year in more ways than one. I wish her a speedy recovery.

kyla2 said:
I have been worried about this, and frankly, it doesn't surprise me. I don't think this bodes well overall for the Olympics. I think all these triple-triple combinations are ruinous to the body, the hips specifically and she isn't 14 anymore (not that she is an old lady mind you). So it's going to be a tough year in more ways than one. I wish her a speedy recovery.
I think this injury brings into focus -- yet again -- the fact that the human body can take only so much pounding.

Tara tore up her hip joints with endless reps of triple jumps in her brief career. Michelle has done just as many, spread out over a decade of competition. Yagudin did quad after quad until his forced retirement at age 22. Plushenko (23) is hanging on for one last hurrah before his knees are gone altogether.

In the olden days, before triple/triples and quads were de rigueur, skaters fulfilled their Olympic dreams as teenagers, then signed up for the Ice Capades. Maybe what we need is an age limit for the Olympics. No one over 21can go. When you hit 21, you graduate from the “eligible” to the Masters class.

Now organize a bunch of Masters level competitions, with rules that encourage better musical interpretation, choreography, smooth edging, beautiful moves in the field, etc. Gradually, the masters division would be seen as where the real action is (like pro football in contrast with college football. Like college football, there would still be a lot of whoop and hollar about the grand Prix, the Olympics, etc., but without compromising support for the pro game.)

Mathman

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I'm sorry, but I have a bit of a problem with this "Life is NOT fair" sub-heading... First of all, I'd like to know one top skater of the last 20 years who has not been injured at some point. And it's not like this one is going to end Michelle's career.

If we want to talk about life not being fair, let's discuss Angela Nikidonov. After struggling with injuries the last few seasons, she's going to miss this entire season as well due at least in part to INJURIES SHE SUFFERED IN THE CRASH THAT KILLED HER MOTHER. Now, this would be a perfect example of Life not being fair......

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
If you were I Kwan fan I doubt that you would have a problem with the fair factor. Of course looking at the big picture none of what happens to these skater means a whole lot, does it? But, if you are a fan of a skater and have been looking forward to them participating in an event anything that prevents that is a disappointment. It's all a matter of degree as to what is fair or unfair depending on how invested you are in skating and the skaters.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Because Michelle has been injured, it's not the be all and end all of figure skating. The sport of figure skating will continue and fans will pay the money to go see other skaters. Why restruct figure skating now? Michelle is not the first skater to be injured and not the last (Tara for instance, who was ctitized after she won the OGM and retired because of hip injuries.)

Of course FS won't end with the departure of Michelle but IMO that's overlooking the (much bigger) picture staring us right in the face. The deal is that (figure) skating is losing respect from the public as an entity and as a sport. It may not hurt now but the impact might be felt 10-15 years from now when there are suddenly fewer and fewer skaters coming up from the lower ranks. That skater that might have had the potential to become another MK might get discouraged by what's going on and then end up quitting skating. The corruption and backwater deals, etc. are a real issue. I won't elaborate because this has been hashed over and over again in other threads, but I hope you get the drift.

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
I'm sorry, but I have a bit of a problem with this "Life is NOT fair" sub-heading... First of all, I'd like to know one top skater of the last 20 years who has not been injured at some point. And it's not like this one is going to end Michelle's career.

If we want to talk about life not being fair, let's discuss Angela Nikidonov. After struggling with injuries the last few seasons, she's going to miss this entire season as well due at least in part to INJURIES SHE SUFFERED IN THE CRASH THAT KILLED HER MOTHER. Now, this would be a perfect example of Life not being fair......

One, life isn't fair... sometimes it sucks... Angela's mom dying is tragic & heartbreaking far beyond the level of a skating competition. Having lost my father at 18, I can understand her pain & would never make light of it ~ which I didn't

Two, life isn't fair... As an uber Kwan fan who's been waiting forever for her 06 Olympic season to start, I was so disappointed for her to have an injury right before the season openner... And also disappointed for the ubers, haters, non-fans & everyone in between who'd spent a fortune on tickets and whatnot to these competitions in hopes of seeing a showdown only to be letdown.

Three life isn't fair... How long has Kwan been on the scene? How many injuries?So why now? It just isn't fair.

Four... I'm sorry you don't like the subtitle I chose, I will keep it in mind for the future, but hey, life isn't fair.;)

millie

Medalist
Red Dog said:
Of course FS won't end with the departure of Michelle but IMO that's overlooking the (much bigger) picture staring us right in the face. The deal is that (figure) skating is losing respect from the public as an entity and as a sport. It may not hurt now but the impact might be felt 10-15 years from now when there are suddenly fewer and fewer skaters coming up from the lower ranks. That skater that might have had the potential to become another MK might get discouraged by what's going on and then end up quitting skating. The corruption and backwater deals, etc. are a real issue. I won't elaborate because this has been hashed over and over again in other threads, but I hope you get the drift.

I agree with you to a certain point but I don't agree with you that figure skating is losing respect from the public. Most of the public don't know and don't care about the backwater deals and corruption. I for one did not know what went on behind the scenes, until I came to this forum. I watched figure skating, listened to the commentary and enjoyed the skating and covering my eyes when anyone attempted a jump afraid that they would fall. That's what most of the public know about figure skating.

In my opinion, figure skating is just as popular as it have ever been.

soogar said:
She CAN'T just skip the GP this year. Cinquanta issued an edict that invited skaters had to compete in the GP. Nor can she just do invitationals like she has done in the past because the ISU doesn't want skaters doing invitationals at the expense of GP events (blame Yevgeny for that). Now a skater can only skip the GP in the event of injury.
I see what you are driving at, but Michelle is not scheduled to do a show nor is she even able to do Campbells. She's hurting, but I understand hour wishful thinking.

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
millie said:
I agree with you to a certain point but I don't agree with you that figure skating is losing respect from the public. Most of the public don't know and don't care about the backwater deals and corruption. I for one did not know what went on behind the scenes, until I came to this forum. I watched figure skating, listened to the commentary and enjoyed the skating and covering my eyes when anyone attempted a jump afraid that they would fall. That's what most of the public know about figure skating.

The public (at least in the US) seemed to care about the backroom deals and corruption in SLC. Furthermore, as I understand it, TV ratings for post SLC skating events have been lower than they were before Tonya/Nancy.

gkelly

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
Furthermore, as I understand it, TV ratings for post SLC skating events have been lower than they were before Tonya/Nancy.

Can you cite specifics?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Most of the public don't know and don't care about the backwater deals and corruption.

I really have to disagree with you here. There was something that happened in 2002 during the SLC Olys called a scandal...the backwater deals of skating were suddenly exposed in full light to the general public.

But yes, you're right in one sense- that hardly anyone CARES about backwater deals in skating. Why? Because they don't care about SKATING to begin with! They may watch it on TV every four years, but they don't really CARE about it. I know because four years ago I was one of these people. Besides, who's going to watch a "sport" where all the events are pre-decided?

Now, I think skating is headed downhill fairly quickly. One just has to look at TV ratings. For the first time in 30 YEARS in the US the World skating championships weren't broadcast on the air! Before MK came around this wasn't an issue. Before the "whack" in 94 this wasn't an issue. Now even ESPN is getting disgruntled with skating ratings. The one good thing that DID happen while all this was taking place was the advent of the Internet, and later, broadband connectivity. This suddenly allows skating fans from all around the world to unite and talk to each other, and also allows people to send videos from all over the world to each other. This has become such common practice that ESPN pointed this out as a possible issue of their declining ratings.

Why are TV ratings falling? I don't know. I think that hardcore skating fans only make up a small percentage of the actual skating audience. Hardcore skating fans can always try to preach to the TV stations about what they think they can do better (for their own benefit I may add), but will this REALLY increase their ratings? I think us skating fans have to face the cold, hard truth, and this is that there are fewer people interested in skating than there were 10 years ago, and it seems that number is sinking even lower.

Last edited:

Which isn't saying much. It is not among the major sports in the United States, anyway. It does have some casual interest from time to time but by no means more than team sports and Tennis and Golf solos.

Joe

brad640

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
It is not among the major sports in the United States, anyway. It does have some casual interest from time to time but by no means more than team sports and Tennis and Golf solos.
I don't watch any of those sports because they are boring to me. FS on the other hand is quirky and fascinating and I hope it stays that way.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Last edited:

millie

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Which isn't saying much. It is not among the major sports in the United States, anyway. It does have some casual interest from time to time but by no means more than team sports and Tennis and Golf solos.

Joe

In my opinion, which isn't saying much, I can't see for the life of me why somebody that is so pessimistic about figure skating has so many opinions on the topic. Have you ever surveyed or polled the people in the U.S. to see what their opinions are and their interest in figure skating? Or not!

Millie:cool: it!! If it were more popular it would be all over the Networks. The Networks would be clamoring to show it on their networks. It's been thrown back to cable.

What's with this survey taking? and what would it prove? More than likely people would laugh at such a survey. Don't get all worked up. It's not healthy:) It's a simple statement. If you don't believe, the onus is on you. You take the survey.

When sports people in other sports have injuries the news is front page of the Sports Section. Skating injuries are just casually mentioned.

BTW - I happen to be in the minority and like the sport. I also skated competitions many moons ago and that's why I am so opinionated Nothing wrong with opinions, and praise to be that I also present some facts. You may not like them but that's your business - not mine.

Cheers - Joe

Last edited: