Kwan Injured - Pulling out of Cambell's & Skate America... Life is NOT Fair | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Kwan Injured - Pulling out of Cambell's & Skate America... Life is NOT Fair

kyla2

Final Flight
Olympics

ITA with both Juliet and Mathman, let the serious competitions begin at a later age. Further, I am sick of the ISU demanding (by not limiting) that the skaters do these triple-triples. It requires that the human body take a horrific pounding and skaters start dropping like flies when they try to keep up. Tara had hip surgeries, Shizuka got injured, Fumie is injured, Irina ends up with vascultis/leg problems (and don't tell me that had nothing to do with the pounding her legs were taking because it did) and now Michelle is experiencing severe hip pain. I guarantee you that all of the young skaters will ultimately have problems as well. But nothing will happen to change this, in the typical ISU tradition, because everyone will continue to try and keep up. However, unless Michelle's injury persists or she can't compete at a level she's proud of because of this injury, she will be there at the Olympics. I know my girl and she will do her darndest to be there. She stayed in it for this long just to make the Olympics. It would take an awful lot to keep her out. So don't get too depressed everyone, she is pacing herself (staying out for 2 weeks because of injury) so that she can be there. Her M.D. feels it will heal and he wouldn't tell her that if he didn't think it.

katty52

Spectator
Well said Kyla2. I too agree that Michelle's doctor wouldn't give her false hope, he is ISU approved and he knows how much this means to Michelle or any skater for that fact. Michelle will take the rest she needs and come back with the fire and passion we know she has.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Somehow, I can see Michelle skipping Olys more easily than I can see her missing Nats and Worlds ( a sort of "I'll end it the way I started it"). Of course, one real issue is whether there is anything that Michelle wants out of Olys besides the OGM. Just a thought at making history with a third medal -- any color? The no demand, no pressure Olys she would have had if she had been able to go in '94? Like Eldredge, and Stojko, a desire to end her career on Oly ice?

millie

Medalist
kyla2 said:
ITA with both Juliet and Mathman, let the serious competitions begin at a later age. Further, I am sick of the ISU demanding (by not limiting) that the skaters do these triple-triples. It requires that the human body take a horrific pounding and skaters start dropping like flies when they try to keep up. Tara had hip surgeries, Shizuka got injured, Fumie is injured, Irina ends up with vascultis/leg problems (and don't tell me that had nothing to do with the pounding her legs were taking because it did) and now Michelle is experiencing severe hip pain. I guarantee you that all of the young skaters will ultimately have problems as well. But nothing will happen to change this, in the typical ISU tradition, because everyone will continue to try and keep up. However, unless Michelle's injury persists or she can't compete at a level she's proud of because of this injury, she will be there at the Olympics. I know my girl and she will do her darndest to be there. She stayed in it for this long just to make the Olympics. It would take an awful lot to keep her out. So don't get too depressed everyone, she is pacing herself (staying out for 2 weeks because of injury) so that she can be there. Her M.D. feels it will heal and he wouldn't tell her that if he didn't think it.

That's the sport of figure skating! Each skater is trying to out do the other skater with better and bigger jumps. The fact is that if they don't, they are left behind. Michelle has always been the number one skater and winning all the competitions, in order for the younger skaters to catch up and pass her, that's what they have to do, bigger and better jumps. How else are they going to win? They can't just sit back and do nothing and wait for somebody else to make a mistake for them to win. Figure skating has gone from doing figures to tripple-tripples and probably quads. It depend on how far these skaters wants to push their bodies in order to win and sometimes at all costs.

jesslily

Final Flight
USFSA site shows some practicing pictures of the Cambell event. Sasha looks not in shape even with black outfit. Kimmie grows a lot, and she is not that cute little girl any more. Alissa C. looks the same as before.

millie

Medalist
jesslily said:
USFSA site shows some practicing pictures of the Cambell event. Sasha looks not in shape even with black outfit. Kimmie grows a lot, and she is not that cute little girl any more. Alissa C. looks the same as before.

Some of you guys are unbelievable, how can you say by looking at Sasha even in her black suit, that she's not in shape. Go figure:scratch: :scratch:
And Kimmie, "not that cute little girl anymore"!!! No because she's a beautifull young lady.
And Alissa C. "looks the same as before". Who and what is she supposed to look like now.:scratch: :scratch:

R.D.

Record Breaker
millie said:
Some of you guys are unbelievable, how can you say by looking at Sasha even in her black suit, that she's not in shape. Go figure:scratch: :scratch:
And Kimmie, "not that cute little girl anymore"!!! No because she's a beautifull young lady.
And Alissa C. "looks the same as before". Who and what is she supposed to look like now.:scratch: :scratch:

Ditto. Well said. :rock: :rock:

emma

Record Breaker
millie said:

Seriously! I thought the pics were great (with the exceptionof Honda's...not a very flattering photo), and it got me excited about the event for the first time since the bad news.

I don't think Jesslily meant any harm. Kimmie is looking more grown up, that's true. As for the picture of Sasha in her black warm-up suit, I think it is the camera angle (slightly from above) that is making her look a little stubby.

Jesslily often confuses "fit" with "thin," as I recall. I think Sasha is going to :rock:

Mathman :)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Re: Sasha in shape or not...

I tend to agree with MM that the camera angle is probably odd. I'm basing that on having seen the short news clip from what - a month or so ago? from her exhibition in Colorado. The clip was short, and the lighting was bad, but to my eyes, she looked more "fit" than she did at Cambell's last season. Just my opinion. BUT...we will all know more shortly!!

DG

Last edited:

jesslily

Final Flight
Alissa C. should just look like herself. She does not have to look like anyone else, such as millie...Kimmie is not that cute litltle girl but she certainly could be beautiful young lady, as millie said. But in this world each person has his/her own opinion about beauty...Sasha has never been in one shape through her competitive life. Her fitness chnges by year and also by season.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Whatever her reasons -- injury this year, not interested (etc) other years -- it's a smart move in the long run as far as her body is concerned

however she has yet to master the CoP so I would hope she'd at least show up to one international event BEFORE the Olympics....

hope she gets well soon, skating needs its star.

I think if another teenager does the impossible and wins the Olys (there have been so many impossible skaters), the sportsfans will confirm there belief that the it's a cute game for little girls.

for me, all of them showed technical potential but none of them were what I would call artistic. That comes much later in life.

Be that as it may, buta history of the ladies figure skating gold in the Olys is definitley for teenage girls. Go Carolina; go Miki, go Kimmie. Who else has not yet hit 20?

Joe

jesslily

Final Flight
None of these three girls has won the world like Tara did or gets the US media attention before winning as Sarah did. So the chance of winning OG could be widely open to both ladies and girls, whoever is lucky and does the best performance in Italy.

That's ideal, Jessilly and that's what I am hoping for.

What I was mentioning was Henie, Flemming, Dykstra, Hamil, all the way up to Katt's first and Baiul were teenagers. Nothing wrong with that but it does give it a little girl sport. That was my point - a Children's Beauty Pagaent with skating as the talent.

Joe

millie

Medalist
Joesitz said:
That's ideal, Jessilly and that's what I am hoping for.

What I was mentioning was Henie, Flemming, Dykstra, Hamil, all the way up to Katt's first and Baiul were teenagers. Nothing wrong with that but it does give it a little girl sport. That was my point - a Children's Beauty Pagaent with skating as the talent.

Joe

Joesitz what you are stating is partly true. It is true that the young teenagers win the OGM because if they don't win it when they are teenagers by the time they reach their twenties most of them get injured and can't train or compete. The older skaters can't keep up with the little jumping beans because their bodies can't take the wear and tear, that the 15 or 16 can take. I figure that if they don't win it in their teens, they can forget ever winning it. There will always be a new little jumping bean turning up every 4 years.

millie said:
Joesitz what you are stating is partly true. It is true that the young teenagers win the OGM because if they don't win it when they are teenagers by the time they reach their twenties most of them get injured and can't train or compete. The older skaters can't keep up with the little jumping beans because their bodies can't take the wear and tear, that the 15 or 16 can take. I figure that if they don't win it in their teens, they can forget ever winning it. There will always be a new little jumping bean turning up every 4 years.
ITA Millie!! But for me, the realartistic side of their skating doesn't happen until they are over 20. They can do Shirley Temple but they can't do Sophia Loren. JMO.

Joe

millie

Medalist
Joesitz said:
ITA Millie!! But for me, the realartistic side of their skating doesn't happen until they are over 20. They can do Shirley Temple but they can't do Sophia Loren. JMO.

Joe

There should be two stages in figure skating, the first stage for the teenagers and the little jumping beans, the second stage for the more mature and artistic skaters. That way they don't have to compete against each other. The Shirley Temples in the first group and the Sophia Lorens in the second.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Sasha looks good and fit from those photos. Not as thin as two monthes ago in photos that she was in her first club show.

Kimmie grown up a lot since I saw her last in COI show.

Shizuka also looks good and fit.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Mathman said:
That's just what I'm saying, Juliet. Let the kids get all that Olympic stuff out of their system when they are the age to really enjoy it. No one was ever happier to win an Olympic medal than Tara. Why? She was 15. If Michelle wins a gold medal this year at 25 her main emotion will be, well, I finally got that monkey off my back.

If we could give the kids the big thrills that kids groove on (winning prizes at the Oympic games, etc.), and then let the cream of the crop advance to the serious sporting level, I think that would allow the sport to take the directions that you support in your post (de-emphasize jumps, bring the artistic element to the fore and viva le difference).

Mathman

But for all the other sports, it's the Olympics that are important. (Well, except for team sports like baseball and basketball, which as far as I'm concerned don't belong there anyway--I cheered when baseball got dumped.) Get the kids out of them, and leave the Olympics for the adults, and maybe even get them coming back. Now, I'm coming from an equestrian background, where you can reasonably compete at the Olympics into your sixties and seventies as long as you're healthy, but there's no reason that serious competitive figure skating *at the world's premiere sporting event* shouldn't be the pinacle of the sport just so underdeveloped kids can get their sporting ya-yas out. Like it or not, people watch the Olympics more than they're going to watch something like GP series--do we want them to be watching the BEST, or do we want them watching "Little Girls in Pretty Boxes" and boys having a jumping contest?