Margarita Drobiazko and Povilas Vanagas - Contenders For A Olympic Medal | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Margarita Drobiazko and Povilas Vanagas - Contenders For A Olympic Medal

rain

Record Breaker
I have always loved D/V. It will be interesting to see how they fare under the new COP system - and coming back after retirement how the judges will slot them into the existing world placements - cause come on, let's face it, reputation and heirarchy still have a lot to do with ice dance.

I was extremely sad when they retired, so I'm looking forward to seeing them compete this season. Way more interested in this team than the Italien team that's also coming back. I did not miss them in the slightest and sincerely wish they had stayed retired.

These two teams, plus B/A likely not competing in the Olympics will make it a really wildcard season. The team that will likely benefit the most from all the crazyness - the world champions N/K.

On the other hand, the losers here might end up being Delobel and Schoenfelder, which would be a huge shame. Poised to make a significant move up the standings after last year when many felt they should have placed higher all season long, some putting them squarely in the gold medal position, they may just get lost in the shuffle of the returnees.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Thanks Ptichka for the background. If the ISU would be angry over Navka why would they not be angry over Denkova?
I'm also wondering if the cuss phrase against Zhulin is a literal translation from Russian?
1. Anger would be equal, but Navka is a more cunning and calculating one of the two.

2. Yes. The Russian was "Уйми свою б***ь, а то может и до дома не доехать".

I do find it interesting that Navka and Chait now have to share the ice.
Also, while I didn't agree with the judges' decision in 2002, I think C&S have been unfairly penalized for the scandal - I don't think they should have dropped in rankings quite the way they did.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
I do find it interesting that Navka and Chait now have to share the ice. Also, while I didn't agree with the judges' decision in 2002, I think C&S have been unfairly penalized for the scandal - I don't think they should have dropped in rankings quite the way they did.
They were a convenient scapegoat.

Ptichka said:
I do find it interesting that Navka and Chait now have to share the ice.
Also, while I didn't agree with the judges' decision in 2002, I think C&S have been unfairly penalized for the scandal - I don't think they should have dropped in rankings quite the way they did.
I've been watching Dance for quite a while now. I can see weaker twizzles in some teams. I can see dancers lose tempo because of a flub. I can see teams fall. I can tell when one team is speedier than another. I'm not sure when they are not close because when I see them live and no Susie voice, they all look the same to me.

So how does a judge pick the best, second best and third best?

As to rankings: C&S may have dropped in rankings because B&A moved up, and Del&Scho are coming into their own. Who knows what's going on in Judges' minds?

I just don't find skate dance judging clear cut.

I do like some teams because I think they compare to the Rogers and Astaire movies I've seen. R&A would never do crotch lifts which seems to be what these skate dancers are all about.

Joe

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I've been watching Dance for quite a while now. I can see weaker twizzles in some teams. I can see dancers lose tempo because of a flub. I can see teams fall. I can tell when one team is speedier than another. I'm not sure when they are not close because when I see them live and no Susie voice, they all look the same to me.

So how does a judge pick the best, second best and third best?

As to rankings: C&S may have dropped in rankings because B&A moved up, and Del&Scho are coming into their own. Who knows what's going on in Judges' minds?

I just don't find skate dance judging clear cut.

I do like some teams because I think they compare to the Rogers and Astaire movies I've seen. R&A would never do crotch lifts which seems to be what these skate dancers are all about.

Joe

Like when Tatiana Navka and Roman Kostomarov did that crotch lift towards the end of their "Tosca" routine :laugh:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Here is my theory on dance judging:

First of all, it's difficult to judge and assess correctly. You're supposed to watch the FEET, which is difficult when people are waving their arms around and wearing 20 excess feet of fabric flapping around like a tablecloth on a clothesline during a hurricane. And you gotta be able to tell from dang near an impossible angle whether or not the footwork is being done correctly; this becomes especially difficult during the compolsury dances. When a judge does not have any personal Ice Dance training him/herself, it's even more a crapshoot. Therefore, to the untrained eye, and a lot of the time even to the trained one, the basic technique and skill level of the "nuances" of dance pretty much look alike, tho of course there are some obvious variances of technique which does at least enable them to determine say the top 7, then the next 4 or 5, then the next several, and so on. Then in the free dance there's a lot of "style preference" variations going on among judges, so I think essentially they just decide approximately who they want where (based on previous results, politics, and yes, I do believe actual skill is a factor) and hope for a few bobbles to even it out and make the exact placements easier. This would explain the deal with why, up until CoP, the rankings seemed to be basically the same every year. And why the same countries seem to get in. And why the results can often be so dang predictable a lot of the time.....