Cohen's In - Kwan's Out | Golden Skate

Cohen's In - Kwan's Out

Sasha still has to contend with Shizuka, Kimmie and maybe Joannie. If everyone skates well, do you think Sasha is a shoo-in? There's Emilie and Alicia, too.

Sasha is the top American skater with not that many points to catch Irina in the GPs and Olys. We have to see if there is more solid jumps, and a bielman. If so I think she'll do it. As for Campbells, it should not be too difficult to win because Shizuka will have the long travel to get to St. Paul. However, if Shiz is well rested, and from what I saw on the tape at the Japanese invitational, it will be a close call. Shiz has 2 'I' spins, and bielmans, and the 3x3s.

The other ladies will be waiting for mistakes by the top 2.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Oh, OK! I thought at first when I read that title that Cohen was subbing in for Kwan or something at some makeshift event, lol.

I would not count Michelle out yet. Not by a long shot.

Certainly it's a serious injury, but Michelle can come back, though I don't know about her doing a 3/3. But just like falls don't hurt as much under COP, I'm not sure a 3/3 is necessary. Besides, I'd like to see some actually competitions before I start predicting things that I'll be wrong about. :laugh:

Besides, nobody is immune to injuries or LP meltdowns. I think the only thing we can count on during an Olympic year is that a bunch of things we didn't count on will happen.

Rgirl

Rgirl - I was thinking more of Campbells than the Olys at this point, and MK is not skating.

I just got a rush that I was Lermontov announcing to the audience that Miss Page will not dance the Red Shoes tonight.:)

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IMO, Cohen is particularly susceptible to the "Fleming curse", so she can win Campbell's only if Peggy predicts someone else to win.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think the only thing we can count on during an Olympic year is that a bunch of things we didn't count on will happen.

:agree:

I'm all for predictions, but above all, I always expect the unexpected. Especially in an Olympic season. Want to bet that the winner of the Olys, if it's not Irina, is someone we would never even imagine in the top spot?

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
:agree:

I'm all for predictions, but above all, I always expect the unexpected. Especially in an Olympic season. Want to bet that the winner of the Olys, if it's not Irina, is someone we would never even imagine in the top spot?
Like the past 2 Oly champions, I believe the winner will produce at least one 3/3 in the LP.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
I think

the next Oly champ will def. do two 3/3's to win. Didn't Nancy do this in 94? Anyone recall? I think she did. And as we know, she was "flawless" for Silver.

I think it's inevitable that an athlete like Miki Ando will win. A quad or triple axel. Irina still lacks in style, though she is so tough. Watch out for the Hughes girl this year. She has a sister she wants to equal. Same fire!

Jill

On the Ice
I don't know if Emily has got the chops that Sarah had to win, but the season hasn't started yet, so we'll see.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
JillLaQ said:
I don't know if Emily has got the chops that Sarah had to win, but the season hasn't started yet, so we'll see.
By that time (the year before Oly) Sarah was the reighing World bronze medalist.

Joesitz said:
Rgirl - I was thinking more of Campbells than the Olys at this point, and MK is not skating.
Campbell's: Go, Alissa!!!

Skate America: I spent $600 on this. With Michelle out, I expect at least a $300 performance from each of Sasha and Shizuka or I want my money back!

MM :)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Campbell's: Go, Alissa!!!

Skate America: I spent $600 on this. With Michelle out, I expect at least a $300 performance from each of Sasha and Shizuka or I want my money back!

MM :)

Mathman's New Personal Judging System And Travel Funding Program:

3T = $8
3R = $9
3S = $10
3F = $11
3Z = $12
2 anything = $3
Combo jumps = $20
Quad = $15
Level 4 Non Jump = $5
Level 3 Non Jump = $4
Level 2 Non Jump = $3
Level 1 Non Jump = $2
PCS is completely subjective between $10 and $50

HEY Mathman!! I think you might be able to come out ahead at SA with your New Personal Judging System and Travel Funding Program!! :) Do you take credit cards??

:biggrin: DG

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman, your NPJSATFP will bring a whole new meaning to the all the "Wuzrobbed" that is forthcoming. :)

DG

R.D.

Record Breaker
MM- that sounds good. I might back Alissa here too. Hope she does well. Forget about the top contenders Arakawa and Cohen; there will be plenty of comps later on to back them at.

Mathman - If you are attending that shindig in St.Paul, please send in a Spoiler report particularly on the skaters we will not see on TV - what is it 2 weeks later?

Joe

No, I won't be going to the St. Paul show. :cry: I will have to hope that Alissa Czisny skates well enough to be shown on TV. (They might show the top five -- out of six -- of both men and women. That wouldn't be too bad.)

As for Skate America, I will be staying in Philadelphia that week, hoping to get away from time to time for a quick drive down to the coast. Although I have to say that the urgency is not quite so accute for me now. :cry:

MM

MM - I'm sure Campbells will be 4 Ladies and hopefully 4 Men. It's the competition with a lot of fluff. It's important for the fans to hear the latest fluff rather than the competition.:mad:

Joe

pollyls

Rinkside
Latest fluff

Yes, for Goddess' sake let's have the latest fluff, not recycled fluff from last year about (a) Irina's ill health, (b) Tanith & Ben not going to Olys, (c) Michelle and the basketball player, (d) shopping spree by Johnny Weir, (e) Michael Weiss' big house and cute family.

Since we may ask for, but are unlikely ever to get, more performances from skaters instead of fluff, let's have spanking new fluff. So to speak. About (a) Sasha's cooking classes, (b) Tim Goebel's world-class health care team, (c) Michelle's latest deep and cryptic thoughts about the Olympics, (d) the sisterly bond between Sarah & Emily Hughes. I'm sure we'll get plenty of injury reports on all the walking wounded.

Some stuff that isn't really so fluffy that might be cool to hear about (although I'd much rather see Takeshi Honda's and Emanuel Sandhu's free programs) might be (a) Michelle working with Tarasova, (b) Kimmie Meissner triple axel stuff, (c) how Angela Nikodinov is doing, (d) ditto Jenny Kirk.

Gosh, I'm so organized. :agree: