Stephane Lambiel and His Coach Split! | Golden Skate

Stephane Lambiel and His Coach Split!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Geez - who needs soap operas when we have figure skating??? :cool:

I love Stephan's skating and I hope this change works well for him.

OH the drama!

DG

ETA: I've already invited Piel, in a virtual sense, to my house to share either a Hot Toddy, or DG's special lemondade - weather dependent. I will take this official opportunity to invite Stephan to join us in case he needs to just talk about how this coaching situation is affecting him. :):) And yes, I'm a dirty old lady.

Last edited:

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
What the hell is happening in the FS world?

First Zhao is seriously injured. Then Tanith is embroiled in an effort to expedite her US citizenship in time for the Olys. Then MK injured. Then this. I am just afraid by the time US Nats come MK's programs will still be works in progress. It's only a STRAINED ligament and there are more serious (for lack of a better word injuries, eg. fractures, torn muscles, dislocated knees/ankle/hip joint, Irina's 2 diseases) injuries, but no doubt MK's injury still hurts. HOWEVER, I am hopeful she will come out of it (in 2-4 weeks per USFSA article) stronger and more determined but wiser (read less focus on 3/3 jumps). There may only be just over 1 month difference b/w the US Nationals and Oly's, but much improvement can happen.

Good luck MK and God bless:yes:

pollyls

Rinkside
re: What the hell is happening?

I have no doubt everyone is putting double pressure on themselves to succeed in this Olympic season. The stress must be very high. They are training extra hard, and under such circumstances a few are bound to get hurt, even with all safeguards in place. And poor old Tim was rear-ended on the road -- that wasn't even a skating injury! As for splits with coaches (or choreographers, or managers, or whomever) that can't be good heading into the Olympic season, but I guess if you are going to get rid of what doesn't work for your skating, now would be the time to do it.

brad640

On the Ice
Stephane has been back with Grutter since before worlds this year. :scratch: You can read a recent update at his website. I can't wait to see his new programs.

He can do what he wants as long as he hits gold but only if Ilia Klimkin doesn't skate in which case I'm torn between the two.

I mean this without any antagonism to Johnny and Evan, Brian and Evgeny and Jeff and Emanuel.

I love to see N.Americans win but only if they deserve it.

Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
He can do what he wants as long as he hits gold but only if Ilia Klimkin doesn't skate in which case I'm torn between the two.

I mean this without any antagonism to Johnny and Evan, Brian and Evgeny and Jeff and Emanuel.

]I love to see N.Americans win but only if they deserve it.

Joe

Joe:

That goes for skaters from any country.

carol45

Rinkside
Stephane split from Cedric Monod and not from Peter Grutter, the only coach he has had expect for a few months last fall.

After his knee surgery last September, Stephane decided that he wanted to attend university in Lausanne. With an Olympic year coming up, Grutter felt that he needed to focus entirely on skating and they split. However, Grutter told Stephane that he would be there to help him if he ever needed him in the future.

Stephane then began training in Lausanne with Monod, a former Swiss pairs skater. Monod also helped him with some off-ice details.

When Stephane did not skate well at Swiss Nationals, he called Grutter right away and they begin working together again. Then, after finishing 4th at Europeans, Stephane, Grutter and Salome Brunner threw out his old program and developed the winning King Arthur program. It was during that time that the relationship with Grutter healed and moved, I think, to a new, more mature level.

This is sometimes what happens when only one coach works with a skater from childhood to adulthood. It is a testament to both Stephane and Grutter that they have been able to make this transition.

After World's, it was clear that Stephane's coach was (and is) Peter Grutter. They are now working together again in Geneva. What has happened between Stephane and Monod is more of a "friendly divorce" rather than an angry split.

Matt

On the Ice
After World's, it was clear that Stephane's coach was (and is) Peter Grutter. They are now working together again in Geneva. What has happened between Stephane and Monod is more of a "friendly divorce" rather than an angry split.

This is true. Stéphane is still with Grutter and still with the same choreographer (it's a woman, but her name escapes me) that got him through Worlds. Splitting with Monod shouldn't be a big deal for the rest of the season. The major issue is that Stéphane stays healthy and doesn't get injured in some form like he usually does