My Very First Test--Monday! EEK! | Golden Skate

My Very First Test--Monday! EEK!

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
No, actually I'm not panicking. Though I am telling myself, "If you don't pass, there's another session in November!" Although I want to test prepre moves at that one, and scarily I may be ready. I'm testing the Dutch Waltz and the Canasta Tango, mercifully partnered by my dance coach. I'm more relaxed when I'm skating partnered, as, I think, it lets me not worry so much about a) counting, at which I suck and b) skidding and falling, because Nick has saved me from many a toepick trip or loss of an edge. (I have a tendency to let my speed, which is considerable, get away from me, and have had moments where the boards seem awfully close--major benefit of reverse Killian, he is between me and the wall!) Though my MIF and dance coach said today I look fine skating the dances alone, and not to worry.

Okay, so I'm panicking a little. Just a bit. At least this time around I don't have a 1,000-pound "partner" who may or may not decide to completely spaz out when the show starts!

karenurate

Rinkside
YOU CAN DO THAT!!!! :rock:

HAVE FAITH IN YOURSELF AND DON'T FORGET TO PRAY BEFORE YOU TAKE THE TEST!:)

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Passed them both! :biggrin: Although I am not happy with the Dutch Waltz. I was rattled by the condition of the ice--VERY slick and cold, my skates felt like they'd just been sharpened, and they haven't been in almost a month. I actually swung so far out on the first end pattern I kicked the boards (the judge couldn't see that, I think, and actually the people watching from the other side said they didn't notice, either.) The Canasta Tango went much better--I love skating the end pattern with Nick because, with him steering, I curve WAY in on the cross-swingroll. (Yes, that's not the point, but it feels really cool.) I also felt a little bit more in control of my edges, even though that ice made it so easy to gain speed!

Only good comments from Nick and my other coach, Caroline. I'm sure Nick will have plenty to nitpick at my lesson Wednesday, though! On to the Rythym Blues and Pre-pre moves!

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
julietvalcouer said:
Passed them both! :biggrin: !
Oh excellent! Respect! as they say here.

Is the Rhythm Blues considered a harder dance than the Dutch Waltz and Canasta Tango where you are (I'm working both of those up for a solo dance competition very soon)? Here, it is Level 1, where the Dutch Waltz and Canasta Tango are Level 2.

backspin

On the Ice
:clap: :clap: Congratulations!! :rock: That first test is always a knee-quaker! They'll get easier now (in terms of nerves) as you go along.

Mrs. Redboots--- the Dutch Waltz, Canasta Tango, & Rhythm Blues are all at the same level here--they make up the preliminary level, which is the first level in ice dance. You don't have to test them all at once, just have to pass them all before you move up to the next level (pre-bronze).

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Yep--although I would say the 'order of difficulty' goes Waltz (only hard thing about it is not going so fast I overshoot the end pattern)-Tango--Blues, because of the deep knee action and the three cross-behinds on the end pattern (although I understand there's an alternate step there with just one cross-behind.)

My personal PREFERNCE is Tango-Blues-Waltz, but that's just me (I like the Tango's slide chasses.)

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
backspin said:
Mrs. Redboots--- the Dutch Waltz, Canasta Tango, & Rhythm Blues are all at the same level here--they make up the preliminary level, which is the first level in ice dance. You don't have to test them all at once, just have to pass them all before you move up to the next level (pre-bronze).
Ah yes, so you do. We have to take both dances (time was, it was three, or even four) at each level at the same time, and pass both, or you get asked to retry. Our next compulsory dance test (we can also test Dance Moves, Variation/Original Dances and Free Dance at each level) will be Level 4 Silver, which is the Fiesta Tango and Swing Dance.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Mrs Redboots said:
Ah yes, so you do. We have to take both dances (time was, it was three, or even four) at each level at the same time, and pass both, or you get asked to retry. Our next compulsory dance test (we can also test Dance Moves, Variation/Original Dances and Free Dance at each level) will be Level 4 Silver, which is the Fiesta Tango and Swing Dance.

Oh how I well remember those days of yore - the Fiesta Tango was my nemesis. It took me a couple of tries to get through that one, but I did it.

Oh by the way congratulations to julietvalcouer. Well done!!

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
And my reward for doing so well? We started the Fiesta Tango on Wednesday. Never mind I've never done mohawks away from the wall and it's going my bad direction, and have never done most of the backwards steps before, either. Actually, we got a long way through it, surprisingly enough. And it's a nice change from Rythym Blues.

Given how he taught me the preliminary dances, I suspect next week is going to involve both the Fiesta Tango and either the Swing or the Cha Cha....Going to remind him I still need to test the Rythym Blues!