A teeny bit of Kimmie hype???? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

A teeny bit of Kimmie hype????

IDLERACER

Medalist
Doggygirl said:
I was really shocked to see ONLY pictures of Kimmie, and absolutely NOBODY ELSE. Nothing against Kimmie or her skating, but does this strike anyone else as the USFSA absolutely FOISTING Kimmie onto the Nationals podium???
It appears that the site must have been updated since your initial post. Sasha Cohen is now all over it. HERE is a picture of her attempting to hypnotize people with her magic hockey puck. Kimmie Meissner does appear to have grown a few inches. In THIS picture, she's nearly the same height as Shizuka Arakawa.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
ITA. Go Kimmie!

However, now she's under a lot more pressure to perform well. She probably won't make the podium at Campbells against Cohen, Arakawa and Rochette, and she could finish last.

MM
The only thing I have to say to you, my friend, is: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
If she finishes last, I will still expect to see her on TV. That's the way it is in American skateland.

Joe

EXACTLY, Joe. I should have seen the ensuing "Meissnermania" ["Kimmiemania" just sounds too dumb] when they showed her exhibition performance at Nationals a couple of years ago; I believe she'd won the Novice or something like that.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
JonnyCoop said:
Perhaps the "Kimmie bandwagon" is the "Taramania" of this current phase of American skating. Remember all the hype Tara got before she'd even won anything???

Yes, but Tara had not gotten her rear end soundly kicked 3 or 4 times in a row by two extremely talented skaters from Japan and Korea, who are YOUNGER than she was, and the Japanese individual being one who in addition to being better at every aspect of her skating than the "hyped one" even has a stronger and more powerful triple axel than the "hyped one" possesses. :scratch:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
I was really shocked to see ONLY pictures of Kimmie, and absolutely NOBODY ELSE. Nothing against Kimmie or her skating, but does this strike anyone else as the USFSA absolutely FOISTING Kimmie onto the Nationals podium???

Maybe I'm over reacting.

DG,

Those 2 pages of photos of Meissner were from her September 2nd media visit to St. Paul to help promote Campbell's (Amber Corwin was the USFS' representative to promote last year's Campbell's event in St. Paul) -- here's the original short article that went with those Meissner photos:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=30608

Campbell's was Meissner's first competition of the new season (she didn't compete in any summer competitions, unlike in previous years) and I was glad to read reports that she skated well this past Saturday.

JonnyCoop said:
EXACTLY, Joe. I should have seen the ensuing "Meissnermania" ["Kimmiemania" just sounds too dumb] when they showed her exhibition performance at Nationals a couple of years ago; I believe she'd won the Novice or something like that.
Yeah, but most of that hype was paid for by poppa Lipinsky. That one hype on TV after she came in second to an American skater in Jrs. was a dilly.

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Sylvia said:
DG,

Those 2 pages of photos of Meissner were from her September 2nd media visit to St. Paul to help promote Campbell's (Amber Corwin was the USFS' representative to promote last year's Campbell's event in St. Paul) -- here's the original short article that went with those Meissner photos:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=30608

Campbell's was Meissner's first competition of the new season (she didn't compete in any summer competitions, unlike in previous years) and I was glad to read reports that she skated well this past Saturday.

I realize that now. BUT...on the very morning Campbell's was set to begin, the two sets of pictures on the USFSA site were ALL pictures of Kimmie. The other photos were added later. If they don't want to give an impression of promoting a specific skater, they shouldn't manage the content of their web site that way.

DG

Still, I don't thinks it's a big deal, DG. Pretty pictures of Kimmie today, someone else tomorrow.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Still, I don't thinks it's a big deal, DG. Pretty pictures of Kimmie today, someone else tomorrow.

Me neither, although I really do think it's clear that they (the press) are pushing Kimmie to be the next star. And she just might be, too. (Once again, not a prediction).

(I noticed more pictures of Cohen than the other ladies. Meissner has a couple, but Cohen had at least 4 or 5.)