Sasha at Campbell's | Golden Skate

Sasha at Campbell's

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
This is a spoiler and should not be listed here. Some people do not want to know the results until they've watched the competition next week on TV.

Hey, Yoy. :) I moved your thread here to the events folder because it is a spoiler. Some people don't want to know who won until the event is shown on TV.

Mathman

PS. Also -- don't put spoilers in the titles of threads, even in the event folder. The reason for this is that people can see the titles from the main page. Thanks.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman - Suggestion

Is the PM function working right? I tried three times to PM you with the following suggestion, but kept getting errors. Then again, there is a reason I make a good "idiot proofer" in my hubby's computer business. :)

I would suggest "pinning" a "no spoilers" message at the very top of The Edge. Those of us who have been around awhile know this, but new GS members really have no way to know.

Thanks,
DG

It may look like I am on this Forum all day but I do have chores to attend to.

Since I do not visit other Forums except for links in GS, can anyone say if other Forums have strict rules on SPOILERS?

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
It may look like I am on this Forum all day but I do have chores to attend to.

Since I do not visit other Forums except for links in GS, can anyone say if other Forums have strict rules on SPOILERS?

Joe

I've only been an "internet follower of FS" for 1.5 seasons, not counting this one. And when I first discovered internet FS forums, it was VERY confusing, and I'm sure there are still newcomers to this form of "following the sport" that are just as confused as I was.

When you first discover a forum, the first thing / category you see is whatever is on top of the list. In the case of GS, that is "The Edge." If as a newcomer, you read a bit and feel compelled to make a post, that is IMO the most likely place it will happen. I don't think the *rules* of other forums matter. I think it's up to the admins of GS to articulate what you would like to have happen on GS.

Of course I am not a moderator / admin on this forum, so it's not up to me. But to keep things simple, here are a few things I would suggest including in a "pinned" message at the top of The Edge. And I'm not framing the actual message - just suggesting points that could be made.

1. Welcome to Goldenskate.
2. If you are signing up now, it might be due to interest in the 2005/2006 Figure Skating competitive season.
3. This forum caters to figure skating fans who want up to the minute competitive results information, and also figure skating fans who would rather NOT know competition results until they are televised, or publicized in other ways.
4. To accomodate all Goldenskate members, we request that New Threads and Posts to Existing Threads in "The Edge" be limited to general figure skating discussion.
5. News and discussion about specific event results is limited to the section called "Events." News or discussion about specific event results prior to them being televised are called "Spoilers." No Spoilers are allowed in the Goldenskate "The Edge" section.
6. Please respect all members by limiting discussion of specific event results to the "Events" section.

Well, that's a Nazi sort of start on this subject anyway. :)

DG

R.D.

Record Breaker
- There's already a sticky on top of the Edge forum

- The title of this thread REALLY needs to be changed. I could see it screaming at me from the main page!!

ETA: Thanks to whomever changed the title of the thread. :agree:

Last edited:

havanamesa1

Rinkside
The title's fine. It doesn't say anything beyond the fact that Sasha was at Campbell's, which is public knowledge. The content is another matter, though.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
havanamesa1 said:
The title's fine. It doesn't say anything beyond the fact that Sasha was at Campbell's, which is public knowledge. The content is another matter, though.
it was changed sometime later... it originally told who won the ladies event.

I guess there is no way of knowing for sure but I wonder just how many fans do not want to know the outcome before it is shown on TV?

All those fans who don't want to know, should have the sense not to look in the Events folders after a competition. They can do their predictions if that is important to them before the event.

Joe

Joesitz said:
I guess there is no way of knowing for sure but I wonder just how many fans do not want to know the outcome before it is shown on TV?
I wonder about this, too, Joe. By keeping all possible spoilers out of the Edge, that reduces the Edge to fluff stuff, while the discussion of the actual skating events goes on way down here in the events folders. Some readers just click on the Edge, as the main folder, and don't go any farther.

MM

R.D.

Record Breaker
havanamesa1 said:

NOW it's fine. But the title beforehand was an eye-popping "Sasha won!!!"

Maybe a quick link in the Edge directing the poster to to the lower part of the page. Call it For Recent Competition Discussion. Just a suggestion nothing more.

Joe

To me, the bigger problem is that we are inhibited in our discussions in the Edge. If we have a thread going on the topic of "Has Sasha achieved better consistency in her jumps?" we might want to include the experience of the latest competitions in our analysis, but we can't.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I actually agree with this. Due to the lack of discussion of latest results (and to a certain extent the TV networks delaying the coverage), discussions in the Edge folder tend to "fall behind" (if you know what I mean). However, to get around this, those said threads could just be posted in the general events forum. The Edge could be reserved for asking questions, posting photos, general skating discussions (of past competitions), and predictions.

JMT on things.

As much as I might like to integrate the results of competitions as soon as they occur into "The Edge" discussions, I have to agree with those who want to keep all spoilers off "The Edge" until the competition has been broadcast.

As I see it, we have two choices:
1. We make those who do not want to know the results until the competition is telecast stay away from even looking at "The Edge," much less participate in any discussions if we allow spoilers into "The Edge," which is unfair to those people, IMO.
2. We make those who want to know the results as soon as they're known from the competition refrain from posting spoilers on "The Edge" and restrict them to the "Event" folders, which may (or may not) limit the discussion for those people, IMO.

The reason I think we should stay with the "No spoilers on The Edge" policy is that once the season gets going, a lot of interesting discussions about specific skaters or the judging get going in the Event folders. Plus, it's usually only a week or less between the actual competition and the telecast. Why spoil someone's enjoyment of seeing an upset victory or loss just so we can include something a discussion from The Event a few days sooner than we would have? In addition, without a telecast, at least right now the quality of the computer image is poor. Seeing the difference between a Lutz and a flutz or a fully rotated or underotated jump is, for the most part, impossible. So getting into heated discussions over whether Skater A committed an error such as mentioned above that was or was not caught by the caller may be questioned, but I don't think it can be fully discussed until the event is telecast, and even then a lot depends on camera angle.

But I do understand the argument that important discussions may not get full participation if they are down in the Event folders. Howerver, it's been my experience that once the competition has been telecast, important and/or controversial aspects of it either get discussed in The Edge or most people get into the discussion in the Event folders.

IMO, the only thing that happens under the current "No spoilers in The Edge folder" rule is that, again, once the season gets going, a lot of the technical discussion shifts to the Event folders. I don't think Edge discussions suffer from the "No spoilers" rule. All people have to do is wait a few days or a week if they want to add the results of a competition into a discussion.

However, for what it's worth, perhaps an area at the top of The Event could be set aside for the mods to note interesting discussions in the Event folders. Just food for thought.

Since I know how much people look forward to seeing a competition without knowing the results--and really, let's go after the real jerks, the telecasters who won't broadcast live--my vote has to go with them. You can't unbreak a glass, but we can all do our best to stick to and enforce the no spoiler rule.

Rgirl

R.D.

Record Breaker
ITA with the above. I know it's frustrating to me to see spoilers in the main part of the forum. I've been spoiled a couple of times before due to people forgetting this rule, and I wasn't too happy about it.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
RGirl, I completely agree with you, and I think I got too wordy in my post on the subject, possibly diluting my point. (GEEZ, Ya THINK?? :))

My suggestion for The Edge really boils down to 1) defining what a spoiler is for those who don't know. 2) Where to go (Events) to discuss competition results before they are televised.

I think my "wordiness" had to do with trying to make it polite for newcomers. I know from first hand experience what it's like to discover a "fan" (of the sport) discussion board, get brave enough to make a post, and then get criticized for posting a "spoiler" when I had no idea what that was.

DG

Doggygirl said:
RGirl, I completely agree with you, and I think I got too wordy in my post on the subject, possibly diluting my point. (GEEZ, Ya THINK?? :))

My suggestion for The Edge really boils down to 1) defining what a spoiler is for those who don't know. 2) Where to go (Events) to discuss competition results before they are televised.

I think my "wordiness" had to do with trying to make it polite for newcomers. I know from first hand experience what it's like to discover a "fan" (of the sport) discussion board, get brave enough to make a post, and then get criticized for posting a "spoiler" when I had no idea what that was.
As for your concern about being wordy and where it came from (a) your suggestion was a first draft, which tend to contain detail one can only delete after "sleeping on it"; and (b) it's sooooo obvious where any possible wordiness came from for you, DG: Reading too many of MY posts! :rock:

And ITA with your 2-point proposal.

Rgirl :agree:

Here's what the Golden Skate Guidelines say about "Event Spoilers."

Q: What are "Spoilers"?

A: Spoilers are posts that contain results from competitions and other figure skating events that are scheduled to be televised or broadcasted in the future.

Q: Are "spoilers" bad?

A: Yes and No. While some people like to know results right away, others prefer to wait until the event is televised so that the element of surprise isn't "spoiled".

Q: So are spoilers allowed in the GS Forum?

A: Yes and No. Spoilers are allowed in the Events folder ONLY. You will generally find the Events folder named as 2003-2004, 2004-05 Season, etc.

Q: So do I put the word "spoiler" somewhere in my post?

A: No need to as the titles of the post are hidden on the main forum anyway.

(This last rule should be revised to "no spoilers in titles of threads," because the title of the thread is visible on the main forum for the tread with the most recent post -- or in case you click on "today's posts.")

But most people don't read the guidelines (even though they are encouraged to do so when they sign up, plus that is the first thing you can click on every time you log in) -- and most people don't read those announcement threads that Paula sticks to the top of the forum from time to time. (Did you notice that there was such an announcement titled "Campbell's spoilers" at the top of the Edge for a couple of weeks?)

I think it can be handled in a way that does not hurt anyone's feelings. When I have to move a post to the Event folder from the Edge I will try to find some language along the lines of, Hi, So-and-so, thanks for your post. I am moving it over here to the Events folder for the sake of readers who don't want to know who won until they can see it on TV, OK?

MM