Will Sasha have any competition? | Golden Skate

Will Sasha have any competition?

OK, guys, Campbell's is over. Here comes Skate America. The first "serious" competition after a couple of cheesefests, LOL.

Will anyone be able to give Sasha a run for her money, or can she phone this one in?

Here's the lineup for the ladies.

Manzano
Leung
Fang
Hegel
Paulinus
McCorkell
Sebestyen
Onda
Sokolova
Cohen
Hughes
Liang

There are a number of 'hangers on' skaters in that lineup. Sokolova and Sebestyen are the only skaters in top ten in Worlds and not really in the top 6.

Cohen will win without any problems.

Joe

The numbers bear you out so far, Joe. Elena Sokolova scored 99.86 points (45.78 in tech) in her LP in winning Nebelhorn (beating Bebe's 92.37).

Yoshie Onda scored 91.18 for a fourth place finish at the Japan International. And Julia Sebestyen had a dismal LP (88.44) dropping her to second at Ondrej Nepeli behind Alissa Czisny.

All of these are 20-30 points below Sasha's 122 at Campbell's.

MM

emma

Record Breaker
This looks like a no-brainer win for Sasha....I do hope Liang does well to build confidence (and so that I am sure to get to watch her!).

There are names on this list that I have yet to see skate...but I think Sasha is in a league of her own for this comp.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Man, that lineup's sorely lacking in competition. If Sasha can do what she did at Campbell's this should be a breeze for her. What she needs to focus on is upping her score to be competitive with the best in the world.

It does seem the line-up is lacking in top-notch skaters. I just can't wait to see what happens when I'm there live in less than 2 weeks now!

Oh well, it's already paid for. I did want to see TT's choreo for Kwan:cry: I'll just have to check out Hegel's routine, but I hope I see a medal for Bebe.

Joe

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Barring a complete meltdown, which is always a possibility, Sasha will no doubt be on the podium with this rather weak and inexperienced group of skaters. However, I think that both Elena Sokolova and Julia Sebestyen could possibly beat Sasha if she gets too overly cocky about how "easy" the competition is. How many times have we seen it, the judges were DYING to give Sasha the gold, all she had to do was stand up, and she couldn't do it. So I refuse to say that Sasha is a lock for the gold. It could happen, but it might not. The only think predictable about her is her unpredicatability.

R.D.

Record Breaker
However, I think that both Elena Sokolova and Julia Sebestyen could possibly beat Sasha if she gets too overly cocky about how "easy" the competition is.

Even if it's Cohen we're talking about, why would something like this happen?

Maybe this would happen under 6.0, but with the Cop she should only focus on topping her Campbell's score. Forget about the other skaters. If she's smart, this is how she'll approach it. No cockiness. And I don't think Nicks will let her be "cocky" anyway.

Matt

On the Ice
SA shouldn't be too much trouble for Cohen (I haven't seen any of the clips from Campbell's yet, so I'm kinda out of the loop) judging from the lineup. Sebestyen and Sokolova should round out that podium. Sokolova will be interesting to see coming off the Nebelhorn win.

I'm interested in seeing how Hughes and Liang fare at this competition. IMHO, that's going to gauge how the race for that third spot for the Olympic team is going to shape up :rock:

Red Dog said:

Maybe this would happen under 6.0, but with the Cop she should only focus on topping her Campbell's score. Forget about the other skaters. If she's smart, this is how she'll approach it. No cockiness. And I don't think Nicks will let her be "cocky" anyway.
Sasha is not cocky like Kwan is she? You know Kwan well, don't you?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Sasha is not cocky like Kwan is she? You know Kwan well, don't you?

I suppose then I should assume you all know her well, too, to be making ASSUMPTIONS and SPECULATIONS about her like I am, huh?

rain

Record Breaker
Cohen should win this one in a walk. Emphasis on should - because this is skating and you just never know. As others have pointed out, however, Sebastyn and Sokolova aren't completely out of the realm of possibility.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Red Dog said:

Why would it happen? Because it's Sasha! And Mr. Nick's couldn't stop Cohen's cockiness the first time around, what makes you think he can control her any better now? Anyway, we've all seen her start the season with a bang and event by event she loses steam, starts making mistakes, takes her previous wins for granted and then screws it all up. You never know what to expect from her, so I'm simply not expecting Skate America to be a cakewalk for her. Also, I just don't believe in the "if she goes clean she is unbeatable" idea that so many others are clinging to.

R.D.

Record Breaker
dancindiva03 said:
Why would it happen? Because it's Sasha! And Mr. Nick's couldn't stop Cohen's cockiness the first time around, what makes you think he can control her any better now? Anyway, we've all seen her start the season with a bang and event by event she loses steam, starts making mistakes, takes her previous wins for granted and then screws it all up. You never know what to expect from her, so I'm simply not expecting Skate America to be a cakewalk for her. Also, I just don't believe in the "if she goes clean she is unbeatable" idea that so many others are clinging to.

You know, neither do I (I can't see the big deal either), but she does not have any of the other Fab Four members (IS, SA, MK) on her heels here at SA. So even if she messes up I still see her winning this one. It would take a phenomenal skate from Sokolova/Sebestyen and a total meltdown by Cohen (i.e. falling 3 times) for her to lose. Not saying it can't happen, it's just unlikely given the situation. Now, if she were facing one of the Fab Four members I'd have to agree with you - partially at least.

What makes you think Cohen is cocky? Only if she squanders the GP and the Nats will I come to that conclusion. I do agree with you though that she needs to take care not to repeat 2003 all over again.

You're thinking about Cohen here the way I thought about her at Nationals- I said that there's no way Kwan is going to lose this one. Throw in the fact that Skate America is not a major competition and there is some serious doubt in my mind that Cohen will not either rise to the occasion or do well enough to win this event. I think of Irina's dismal freeskate at Euros still winning her the title here. It will take a HUGE meltdown by Cohen to be even in danger of not winning. It's a real joke.

I practically never have faith in Sasha but this time I have no choice. It should be that easy for her. In fact, if she DOES manage to lose, all bets from me are immediately off that she's a real chance at OLY gold.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Red Dog said:
It will take a HUGE meltdown by Cohen to be even in danger of not winning. It's a real joke.

I practically never have faith in Sasha but this time I have no choice. It should be that easy for her. In fact, if she DOES manage to lose, all bets from me are immediately off that she's a real chance at OLY gold.

I do agree that it would take a major meltdown from Cohen, or a once-in-a-lifetime performance from one of the other ladies, for Cohen not to win this, but Sasha does have a history of unravelling rather spectacularly, so still I refuse to believe that she can just walk away with the SA title.

Skate America is a major competition as are all the GP events leading to its Final. Winning each one is an important goal for all the competitors to get into that Final. They are international events giving skaters a feel for the Big One. Not exactly like Kirstie Alley.:biggrin:

The various Nationals round the world are important locally and for some countries, extremely so.

Sasha should win the upcoming America and will earn 15 points. Who gets second is important for 11 points. So check out Skate America at least for 2nd place. If you are predicting who do you think would do better: Sebestyen or Sokolova?

I'll bet if other skaters had known that MK was not going to be there, they would have liked to come and get that second spot.

Joe