My Campbells review | Golden Skate

My Campbells review

Vash01

Medalist
Contains SPOILERS.

These are strictly my opinions, and some may differ with them.

Good attendance. Great facility (Xcel center). Everyone seemed excited about hosting the 2008 US Nationals in St.Paul, MN.

First, the mens competition.

Michael Weiss skated first, to a Beethoven medley. Fell on 4t but pretty respectable rest of the way, with a minor mistake on the 3-2 combo. Seemed to be running out of gas in the second half, as did most other men. Everyone seemed to slow down on the footwork (lack of practice; the season is brand new). As the last minute replacement for Joubert, his second place finish must have been a thrill. He looked very happy rest of the evening and was very friendly with the public.

Evan Lysacek, in a leather jacket started strong (Love is a many splendored thing, changing over to a techno type music), but made too many mistakes including falls on both 3 axels. The audience was clapping along. He really slowed down toward the end, and ended up in last place. What I really like about Evan is he is always smiling, whether he is in first or last place.

Emanuel Sandhu- what can I say? He was brilliant a few times and terrible at others, particularly on the jumps. He popped 4t, 3A, 3A into singles and a 3S into a double. There was also a 2-foot landing. Great lines and postures got him the second highest component marks of the mens field. Weird costume- colorful. Techno music. Not sure what he was trying to convey.

Johnny Weir- No matter how he skates jumpwise, he is such a great skater. I just love the way he moves on the ice. He did only a 3t at first. I think he wanted it to be a 4t. He popped both 3A’s into singles. Footwork into 3R was good, but the last footwork sequence seemed ‘not quite ready yet’. Techno music, instead of his usual lyrical choices. The last part of his music was same as Irina’s from the 2005 season. I love this music and I think this is going to be a very good program for Johnny. He finished in 4th place, inspite of receiving the highest component scores of the evening.

Takeshi Honda- skated to Tosca. It is hard not to think of Michelle’s brilliant performance at the 2004 US natinoals. Takeshi’s skate lacked in emotion, which is unusual for him. He used to be a very excitable skater, but injuries must have changed him. His win was a surprise. He did not attempt a quad. He fell on the first 3A and had a hand down on the second 3A. Nice spread eagles and connecting moves but he too was slow toward the end. It was a respectable skate, but I would have placed him 3rd. I was surprised by his high tech scores (58.50) which was the highest tech score of the evening. I need to go back and read the rules again.

Tim Goebel- it was a golden opportunity for him and I really thought he got it done. He was smiling when he finished. He skated to Mussorgsky’s Night on a Bald Mountain- a difficult choice of music but well choreographed. His posture is always a negative but he seemed to move well. He popped the 3f, but was otherwise good. I was shocked by his low tech score (51.70). There must be something that I don’t understand about the COP, so time to read the rules. He and his coach looked very happy in the K&C until the marks went up. Tim finished 3rd and I thought he looked a little disappointed but he was very gracious signing autographs at the hotel.

Next, Inoue and Baldwin skated what seems to be their SP as an exhibition, to Albinone. They looked better matched live, than on TV. They did sbs 2A for the exhibition. I assume they will replace them with sbs 3L’s later. The FIDS was creative and good. Pairs spins had many position changes. Rena Inoue is very good. The throw 3R was excellent. I don’t think they have the speed to be competitive with the top pairs yet, but a very good performance.

Belbin & Agosto performed what seems to be their FD for the new season. Great costumes- black for him, black & pink for her. They have some very good moves where Ben gets very low in the knees- those were from last year. I am not sure which ones were new moves. Overall very good and a great reception from the audience.

After the intermission and zamboni was the ladies competition. Since Michelle’s withdrawal there was not much competition for Sasha, except from Shizuka.

Sasha was the first to skate (music-Romeo & Juliet movie soundtrack). She was great, except for one minor mistake (3L-2t-2t, with a step out on the last 2t). Her landings on the jumps seemed more secure than usual. No 3-3 combos but what she did, was very good (6 triples total). The crowd loved her. As usual there were her wow moves showing her incredible flexibility. I would really like to see her pay more attention to the edges and musical interpretation. This was an excellent performance, however. It could be good enough to win the Olympics because the judges really love her lines and posture. Under the COP the 3-3’s carry less weight than under the 6.0 system, IMO.

Alissa Ciszny was next- what a tall order for her to skate after Sasha’s phenomenal skate! She was the last minute replacement for Michelle. Alissa has incredible- stretched out- positions on the spins and great combination spins, but her jumps are so poor that I don’t see her really making it to worlds even after Michelle and Sasha retire/turn pro. I don’t know if it’s her availability that has given her the opportunities last 2 years at Campbells. She fell on 3L,3F,3S,2A. She landed 2 triples- 3R (from footwork) and 3L toward the end. Her spiral sequence, despite her flexibility, is not as good as Sasha’s.

Kimmie Meissner- I really see her as the next Michelle Kwan because she is so consistent in her jumps. She had a middle eastern theme of some kind, judging from her hand positions. She started with a 3L-3t, then a 2A (I assume she will change this to a 3A later), 3R was without a footwork. Overall very good technically but not very developed in presentation/artistry. She is going to be a force in the not too distant future. Definitely a contender for the US Olympic team and even for an Olympic medal in 2006.

Shizuka- the only one that had the goods to beat Sasha did not get it done. Her 3L begin the program had an awkward landing so she could not do the combination. The 3S-3t was a beauty. From that point it went downhill. She stepped out of 3flip (always her nemesis), doubled the 3R, and even botched the 2A. Ina Bauer into 3t was beautiful but there was too much gap between the two. Spin combination included a Biellman position (many skaters are using this now, or at least the half Biellman, in their spin combinations). A disappointing performance for her.

Joannie Rochette- Very good skate. She has a muscular/compact build. She started with a 3-2-2 combo, then 3L-2t, and missed just one jump (the second 3L). She does not use many connecting steps so I was surprised by her relatively high component marks. It seemed like she would beat Shizuka but she had a one point deduction (for finishing after the music?) which helped Shizuka place 3rd, with less than a point differential.

Emily Hughes- perhaps the biggest disappointment of the night. She did not have her usual fire. She doubled most of her jumps She landed just one clean triple (3S), and stepped out of the triple of the 3f-2t combination. The spins were slow and she really looked like a junior skater. Her score was even lower than Alissa’s who fell 4 times! I was not surprised by Emily’s low scores though.

Overall impression: Since this is the start of the season, it was expected that the programs would not be quite ready, and the skaters would not be in the best physical condition,etc. It was good to see what music they are using, and the general layout of the program. They did not do their most difficult jumps, for a good reason. Mens competition was less predictable so it was more interesting. I am still confused about Takeshi's considerably higher tech marks (58.50)than Tim's (51.70). The 2 top ladies skated great (Sasha and Kimmie). Others were disappointing. I would have liked to see Bebe Liang in place of either Emily or Alissa. Bebe would have provided a higher level of skating, IMO. It was a great win for Sasha and Takeshi (coming off many injuries- many had written him off). They were obviously happy, with their $50,000 each checks.

In the finale, all skaters took the ice one by one, and skated around the rink. Some stayed behind to sign autographs. I did not catch any of the T-shirts or rings they threw into the audience.

Later I saw most of them (except the Canadians) in my hotel. They were surrounded by kids and parents to sign autographs, take pics, etc. I got some autographs but no pics (my digital camera battery and regular camera film, both ran out).

All US skaters were great about signing autographs and letting people take pictures at the hotel, where I stayed. The Japanese did not seem interested. Takeshi barely signed a few autographs and did not look happy doing it. Shizuka had brought with her a stack of her signed picture cards which she distributed before getting into the elevator. It may be something cultural, to not want to sign autographs.

I saw Frank Caroll about to enter the elevator and a couple of kids got his autograph. I, being an adult, did not want to keep his companion holding the elevator, so I had to miss out. This is one autograph I would have loved to have. Another one I was hoping for was Tarasova's. She was there as Shizuka's coach, but apparently stayed in another hotel.

It was a good warm up for the new season. I am sure this is going to be a very exciting season. It was time and money well spent.

Vash

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
Joannie Rochette- Very good skate. She has a muscular/compact build. She started with a 3-2-2 combo, then 3L-2t, and missed just one jump (the second 3L). She does not use many connecting steps so I was surprised by her relatively high component marks. It seemed like she would beat Shizuka but she had a one point deduction (for finishing after the music?) which helped Shizuka place 3rd, with less than a point differential.
Hmm that's a bit strange since I've read other reviews which stated that it was a really beautifully choreographed program. I don't think the component scores are that high at all.

Vash01

Medalist
shine said:
Hmm that's a bit strange since I've read other reviews which stated that it was a really beautifully choreographed program. I don't think the component scores are that high at all.

Shizuka's component scores were 54.13 and Joannie's were 54.27 (unless I copied wrong, but I could not be too off). Shizuka had a lot more difficult entrances into her jumps and her edges are better, in general. I must have a different opinion from others about the choreography of Joannie's program.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks Vash!!

I really appreciate those of you who were there sharing your "live" impressions. I hope we get to see at least ONE solid E-man LP this year. From all accounts it sounds like he has a really interesting program and I sure hope we all get the pleasure of seeing it well done.

I'm encouraged by your feedback on Johnny's program. Unfortunately, it seems that the majority of live reports are not as encouraging about it as yours. I love his skating and I hope this program can evolve into another great Johnny program.

Thanks again!!

DG

antmanb

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
Contains SPOILERS.

Vash

Thanks so much fo the reivew Vash - this skating starved fan really enjoyed it especially since i went on the USFS website and they don't seem to have any results...this was the first place i managed to find the order that ladies came in after 3rd place!

Thanks again
Ant

Thanks for the super write-up. I especially appreciated the part about meeting the skaters at the hotel, etc. That kind of first person view really spices up a report! I do think that the Japanese culture encourages young skaters to be more reserved than is the case in the West.

About Johnny, I wonder if practicing the quad has thrown his timing off for the triple Axel.

Mathman :)

PS. Ant -- If you go to the USFSA main page and click on "Live Event Results" at the very top, you can see the placements and summary of judges scores (total tech plus components -- the detail scorse don't seem to be up yet). (Click on Ladies Free Skating and Men's Free Skating):

http://www.usfsa.org/Live_Event_Results.asp

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Thanks for the super write-up. I especially appreciated the part about meeting the skaters at the hotel, etc. That kind of first person view really spices up a report! I do think that the Japanese culture encourages young skaters to be more reserved than is the case in the West.

About Johnny, I wonder if practicing the quad has thrown his timing off for the triple Axel.

PS. Ant -- If you go to the USFSA main page and click on "Live Event Results" at the very top, you can see the placements and summary of judges scores (total tech plus components -- the detail scorse don't seem to be up yet). (Click on Ladies Free Skating and Men's Free Skating):

Thanks Mathman - i tried the link this morning but its didn't get anything up - its working now though!

Also i don't think that working on a quad toe would throw off your technique for an axel - the jumps feel so different in technique that i don't think it would be too much a of a problem. Has Johnny shown himself to be more of an edge jumper or a toe jumper?

Ant

Vash01

Medalist
Mathman said:

):

MM,

When Johnny landed a 3t, I felt that he had intended it to be a quad. When he popped the 3A, I wondered if the focus on the 4t (and missing it) had caused him to miss the 3A? I thought he would recover because he is has been so consistent last 2 years, but he popped the second 3A also. So there may be the toe vs. edge jump factor that you mentioned. I hope that he will not focus too much on the quad, and focus on his strengths instead.

Vash

Great report!!! and thank you so much. You took in the skaters as their first public appearance without the bashing terms some others would have used to describe early season faults.

I haven't seen it yet and I am sure this thread will get gobs of postings when i hits ESPN. the problem there will of course, who will they cut out???

One thing I didn't quite understand was your critique of Rochette. I believe she had David Wilson do this program who is among the very few choreographers in figure skating of any distinction. Perhaps, it was too soon for her to do it justice.

And thanks very much again.

Joe

Vash01

Medalist
Doggygirl said:
I really appreciate those of you who were there sharing your "live" impressions. I hope we get to see at least ONE solid E-man LP this year. From all accounts it sounds like he has a really interesting program and I sure hope we all get the pleasure of seeing it well done.

I'm encouraged by your feedback on Johnny's program. Unfortunately, it seems that the majority of live reports are not as encouraging about it as yours. I love his skating and I hope this program can evolve into another great Johnny program.

Thanks again!!

DG

You are welcome.

As I said, these are My opinions, so there could be a little bias. I loveJohnny's skating. The program is new, so he is not yet fully comfortable with it, and it shows in some parts. It did not help that he missed the planned jumps and it must have taken energy away.The music is different from what he has skated to, in the past. It is more techno (plus some piano I think) but I think he can make it work. Sometimes people expect similar programs/music from a skater and they are disappointed when the skater wants to stretch in different directions. The part I liked the most was the last one- the joyful music Irina had in her LP last year. It will provide a strong /uplifting ending to the LP, with his great spins as the highlights. I liked the costume also- black with broad stripes of gold and silver wrapped around.

As a side note, he seems to be very organized. At the hotel he was mobbed by fans for autographs and pics. When people requested pics, he said- I want to finish signing the autographs first, then the pics. He was untiring and the fans loved him (and other skaters too).

Vash

Vash01

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Great report!!! and thank you so much. You took in the skaters as their first public appearance without the bashing terms some others would have used to describe early season faults.

I haven't seen it yet and I am sure this thread will get gobs of postings when i hits ESPN. the problem there will of course, who will they cut out???

One thing I didn't quite understand was your critique of Rochette. I believe she had David Wilson do this program who is among the very few choreographers in figure skating of any distinction. Perhaps, it was too soon for her to do it justice.

And thanks very much again.

Joe

Joe,

I may have sounded luke warm toward Rochette in my report, but actually I was quite impressed with her skating. She already has this new program under control. The choreo appeared 'simple', only in relative terms. Shizuka and Sasha both had more difficulty. For example, Joannie did splits (small ones) between the 3L-2t and the 3R, but there was a long gap before the splits and the 3R (there was no other foot work) and no footwork going into the actual jump. So the 3R appeared like an isolated jump to me.

She seemed to get into an Ina Bauer position without the bend (or was it intended to be inside spread eagles? One leg seemed to be bent- that's how it appeared from the angle I had), then she did the 2A-2t. Again, the IB position looked isolated, and it did not look like an entrance into the 2A. I could be wrong in some of my impressions. I will have a better understanding after watching it on TV. Although I had my eyes on the skaters while I wrote notes, I could have missed some things.

She did not seem to cover the ice well in the footwork section (particularly last 1/4 of the length of the rink), but this is a new program. It's early in the season.

The spiral sequence seemed to be modeled after Cohen's (it drew unfortunate comparisons), with a Biellman position in one part. The layback spin combo was great.

I expect the program will evolve as the season goes on. I think Rochette is for real. She could be in the mix, after the top 4 (Michelle,Irina, Sasha, Shizuka). She skated better than Shizuka that night, and that has to be a confidence builder. I also think she is a more consistent jumper than Shizuka.

BTW I loved her pink costume.

Vash

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks very much for the report. Interesting when you say Sasha's performance *might* be good enough to win the Olys. Wow, sounds like it must have been that good. :eek:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
WeirsAngel said:
I think Sasha did a 3Lutz-2toe-3loop. Not a 3l-2t-2t
By the way...what is 3R?

I'm no expert so I'm waiting (not so patiently!) for the protocols. But after watching the video, it looked like a 3L-2T-2R to me, with a wonky landing, but she held on! Holding on is IMO a good step in the right direction for Sasha. All in all I thought it looked like a terrific program debut first time out.

DG

WeirsAngel said:
By the way...what is 3R?
A "Rittberger," another name for a loop. (After Werner Rittberger.)

Doggygirl said:
...not so patiently...
Judging from your other thread on this topic, no, I guess not. :laugh:

MM :)

Vash01

Medalist
WeirsAngel said:
By the way...what is 3R?

The last jump was definitely a double (she may have planned a triple). I could not tell the entrance into the last double, from where I was.

3R is triple loop.

SunshineSlayer

Rinkside
Actually from watching the video it does almost look like a 3l, 2t, 3loop - though I'm sure she intended it to be a double.

antmanb

Record Breaker
WeirsAngel said:
By the way...what is 3R?

3R is shorthand for triple loop. In continental Europe the Loop jump is known as the "Rittberger" (sp?) named after the man who first performed it.

Ant