Shame on USFSA - Where are the score sheets? | Golden Skate

Shame on USFSA - Where are the score sheets?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
OK - this is the third season for NJS / COP. Only 12 singles skaters performed at Campbell's, and only 1 program each.

Where the heck are the judges' PDF score sheets???

The JIC was in the exact same format - 6 ladies, 6 men, LP only. The score sheets were up right away.

The ISU has managed to get score sheets up immediately following all the JGP events this year, which have involved far more competitors, with multiple programs each, and all in different countries.

I'm disappointed that the USFSA has been unable to post 12 score sheets on their web site between MN and CO.

OK, rant over.

DG

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
OK - this is the third season for NJS / COP. Only 12 singles skaters performed at Campbell's, and only 1 program each.

Where the heck are the judges' PDF score sheets???

The JIC was in the exact same format - 6 ladies, 6 men, LP only. The score sheets were up right away.

The ISU has managed to get score sheets up immediately following all the JGP events this year, which have involved far more competitors, with multiple programs each, and all in different countries.

I'm disappointed that the USFSA has been unable to post 12 score sheets on their web site between MN and CO.

OK, rant over.

DG

I know......There are going to have to do something considering they are going to have LIVE coverage of nationals

brad640

On the Ice
Yes, we are still waiting for proof that USFS knows how to score an event under CoP.

Slightly OT, but I really got a kick out of following along with the live update on the USFS site, plus live play-by-play from people who were there.

Back in the days before television, millions of people were glued to their radio sets every saturday afternoon to hear baseball games broadcast live. Hearing the announcer's description of the action gave the feeling of being at an actual competition, even though you could see the action only in your mind.

In contrast, last year I found that I had no interest whatever in watching the television broadcasts of figure skating events shown two weeks after they were all over. That just seemed a foolish waste of time to me. I would rather watch my old tapes of Michelle's East of Eden exhibition number from 1998.

Nor did I have any interest in trying not to be spoiled and pretending that this was really happening, when I knew I was watching yesterday's news.

If the television networks are not going to show figure skating as a sport, I think there is a great future in "watching" over the Internet, either by subscription to video services or just by live reports.

Mathman :)

Lucy25

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Slightly OT, but I really got a kick out of following along with the live update on the USFS site, plus live play-by-play from people who were there.

Back in the days before television, millions of people were glued to their radio sets every saturday afternoon to hear baseball games broadcast live. Hearing the announcer's description of the action gave the feeling of being at an actual competition, even though you could see the action only in your mind.

In contrast, last year I found that I had no interest whatever in watching the television broadcasts of figure skating events shown two weeks after they were all over. That just seemed a foolish waste of time to me. I would rather watch my old tapes of Michelle's East of Eden exhibition number from 1998.

Nor did I have any interest in trying not to be spoiled and pretending that this was really happening, when I knew I was watching yesterday's news.

If the television networks are not going to show figure skating as a sport, I think there is a great future in "watching" over the Internet, either by subscription to video services or just by live reports.

I remember listening to the '94 Ladies LP on the radio. I was at work, trying to hear on an old radio that happened to be in the office. It was so exciting doing it that way! You couldn't see anything (obviously) so you waited without breathing for the announcer (was it Paul Wylie?) to tell you what was happening. It was great. I can still hear the excitment in his voice after Nancy Kerrigan skated.

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:

You are right!! The world of "Information" has evolved tremendously over the last decade and beyond. I personally don't think it's possible to compare "TV ratings today" to "TV ratings of even 4 years ago." Much less considering how news was relayed generations ago.

Even the most obscure sports these days rely on the internet. Even if the only info available over the internet is "someone" who "saw whatever it was live" and is willing to "report about it." I believe that ANYONE in the business of event type news is foolish to ingnore the internet, and more foolish to NOT find a way to tap in.

I will be busy tapping my two show dog customers into the internet this coming weekend at the last National Dog Show (within the close definition of my sport). With our help, my two customers will be providing updates within max two hours of the action on the field. They will NOT get paid for providing "fast" public information. What they WILL get is high traffic to their sites (improving search engine rankings) and site exposure to prospective customers who will probably look at their services offered while they are there.

Yes, the Internet is here, for real. TV and Radio will never be the same. Valuable for sure, but never the same as a couple of decades ago.

DG

emma

Record Breaker
I kind of experienced something like the radio listening excitement by hanging on for results on line last Saturday night...and I know I won't watch all of the comp on Sunday because it is not nearly as exciting now (ok, I watched some boot leg videos too) and I do have to ration my 'play time.'

Are the score sheets still not up?

Arsenette

On the Ice
One thing I have noticed... The protocol sheets are not up even in local competitions.. Skaters get their own individual one.. but no one is getting full sheets..

I hope they change that.. there are a lot of problem already with COP being scored correctly here in the US from what I'm gathering. Everything from panels calling things one way and another panel calling them another way.

My biggest concern is hearing other judges "not on the panel" practice judging in competitions, turning it in for "credit" and the scores NOT being evaluated.. just "completed".. no one even checks if they are being correct..

sk8addict

On the Ice
Cop

brad640 said:
Yes, we are still waiting for proof that USFS knows how to score an event under CoP.
It was announced at 2004 Nationals that it was the last season for 6.0.They were the last to go to COP for Michelle's benifit ( the record & all). It will be interesting to see how they score her showing the 2006 programs for the first time at Nationals. They won't have other judges COP scores to measure themselves by.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
sk8addict said:
It was announced at 2004 Nationals that it was the last season for 6.0.They were the last to go to COP for Michelle's benifit ( the record & all). It will be interesting to see how they score her showing the 2006 programs for the first time at Nationals. They won't have other judges COP scores to measure themselves by.

The timing of the NJS implementation in the US had nothing to do with Michelle Kwan. It had to do with the official process required for the USFSA to officially adopt the system.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=25582&type=news