Article on Olympic Team Media Summit | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Article on Olympic Team Media Summit

Red Dog,
That very "wow" response you (and I) had to Kimmie's picture may really help her this season, just as I think it helped Michelle in '96 and Tara in '97. When "cute little 15-year-olds" who make you want to pat them on the heads and say "Awww" grow, in one year, to "hot-looking 16-year-olds" who make you say, "Wow!" that response may also affect the judges. With Michelle and Tara, I'm NOT saying that's why they won their first World titles in '96 and '97 respectively; I'm just saying I think it played a factor.

As I've said before, I was very impressed with Kimmie's poise and authority on the ice last spring at COI. If she doesn't have a growth spurt that upsets her center of mass too much, the look of maturity when she hits the competitive circuit may give her the edge in a close competition.

Watch out Sasha. For all your hard work and determination, I hope that "when" doesn't end up biting you in the butt. Of course, had you said, "If I win Nationals..." probably just as many people would be saying, "See, Cohen STILL doesn't really believe in herself. Without the confidence, she'll never win Nationals or Worlds." Damned if she do; damned if she don't. ;)

Last comment on the great "When/If" controversy of October, 2005: What if a male skater had made the same comment? The press, commentators, and most of the audience it seemed loved the Yags/Plush "No,I will win!" rivalry. Would they/we love it if the same rivalry were between two "ladies"? Just wondering.

Rgirl

Oh, bleep. I tried to quote your post, Red Dog, and I accidentally deleted it instead. Sorry. :banging:

Red Dog said:
Personally, I think the picture of Kimmie above that warrants more of a "Wow"...
ITA!!

http://usfigureskating.org/content/events/200506/mediasummit/kimmie-makeup.jpg

http://usfigureskating.org/content/events/200506/mediasummit/si-kimmie.jpg

http://usfigureskating.org/content/events/200506/mediasummit/meissner-photoshoot.jpg

Actually, Sasha looks "all business" in her photos.

BTW, are some of these skaters counting their chickens before they're hatched by taping these Olympic promos?

Mathman said:
....BTW, are some of these skaters counting their chickens before they're hatched by taping these Olympic promos?
The network(s) tape every skater the producers think has a chance for making the Olympic team or else who they think will bring in the most ratings. The skaters could say no, I suppose, and risk p***ing off the network producers; but I'm sure they're all good reps of the USFSA and do their promos when told. The skater, OTOH, doesn't get to go up to the producer and say, "I want to be in an Olympic promo even though you haven't asked me."

The Olympics is as much if not more about marketing and sales as anything else. I wonder if The Donald will have his "Apprentices" do an Olympic-themed project? Okay all you Harvard and Wharton grads, let's see who can spell Salchow or say Slutskaya correctly? :laugh:

Rgirl

Dang, Mathman, when it was Red Dog's "quote" I thought he might not know this, but you? YOU?! For shame! :p

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
MM- it's alright. I'll just quickly summarize what I said for those who might have missed it- I just said that the picture of Sasha titled "Wow" didn't really make sense to me, I think it should be up to the viewer to decide that. I then went on to say that I thought Kimmie's picture (the one right above Sasha's) warranted more of a "Wow" (IMO) than Sasha's pic.

Rgirl- Right on, once again.

Watch out Sasha. For all your hard work and determination, I hope that "when" doesn't end up biting you in the butt. Of course, had you said, "If I win Nationals..." probably just as many people would be saying, "See, Cohen STILL doesn't really believe in herself. Without the confidence, she'll never win Nationals or Worlds." Damned if she do; damned if she don't

Couldn't have said this better myself. I. T. A. :rock:

Actually, Sasha looks "all business" in her photos.

BTW, are some of these skaters counting their chickens before they're hatched by taping these Olympic promos?

I agree with that last statement. I can't help but wonder this also. I'm sure some skaters who went to this thing may not wind up at the Olys, and vice versa. Is it a GOOD thing not to go...?:scratch:

Cohen does look very serious in her photos. I guess that's why I'm not that impressed by them (but all the makeup she's wearing makes her look "better" I suppose). I'm a lot more impressed with Kimmie's photos and am amazed at how much she has grown in one short year. Now THAT's a "Wow." :love:

R.D.

Record Breaker
To add to my last point:

I also don't think it helps when, in a lot of Cohen's pics, she's looking off to the side, i.e. away from the camera. This often times gives off a very cold, distant persona. When, on the other hand, she looks INTO the camera and smiles, she's a lot more striking. That I think could have made the difference. Check out her "red dress" pics and you'll know what I'm talking about.