Article on Olympic Team Media Summit | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Article on Olympic Team Media Summit

emma

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I'm curious. What makes you think (or hope) this? :biggrin: :cool:

Well, I'm not MM so I have nooooooooo idea why he'd think/hope you'd be a Kimmie fan...but from my point of view it would just be great fun to discover which skater makes you a FAN and FEEL something more than indifference or want to say more than critique. And before you misunderstand me...I'm all about the critique...what's the point of rehashing a sporting even if we can't criticize???...i'm just also so moved by so many athletes (skaters and others too), I can't help but wonder what moves you (and other posters too...i.e., part of the fun for me about these boards is rehashing events AND hearing what others like too)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I think lately some posts have come very close to bashing RD. This is disturbing because it is out of character for GS. Count me as another Kwanie who sees nothing wrong with RD's opinions or how he has stated them. There have been lots of posts that are blatantly negative about skaters that no one has been called on. So what if some folks find it tiresome that he consistently does not like their favorites? RD keep posting (long and often copyright MM). It bothers me that if a skater gets the least bit criticised everyone jumps to the skater's defense. OTOH we set back and let our fellow posters catch h*** for just posting their opinions. Something is very wrong with that IMO when we care more about a perfect stranger's (skater's) feelings than we do those of our peer's on this board.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I'm so not understanding the drama over Sasha's quote... She's never been shy about her thoughts on other skaters, based on comments made prior to this one on Kwan... Actually, I always find her anti-skating princess refreshing, but that's just me... :eek:hwell:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Piel said:
I think lately some posts have come very close to bashing RD. This is disturbing because it is out of character for GS. Count me as another Kwanie who sees nothing wrong with RD's opinions or how he has stated them. There have been lots of posts that are blatantly negative about skaters that no one has been called on. So what if some folks find it tiresome that he consistently does not like their favorites? RD keep posting (long and often copyright MM). It bothers me that if a skater gets the least bit criticised everyone jumps to the skater's defense. OTOH we set back and let our fellow posters catch h*** for just posting their opinions. Something is very wrong with that IMO when we care more about a perfect stranger's (skater's) feelings than we do those of our peer's on this board.

:clap:

As usual Piel, you are spot on...

But between me & you ~ I think that RD is the ultimate Kwaniac & has a MK shrine that he chants over each night... he's just finally figured out a way to trick the so-called skate gods...:biggrin:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Emma the thing that drew me to a FS message board was to see if others agreed with my opinions of what I saw on TV. I think that it is human nature to want to see our opinions validated by others.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
But between me & you ~ I think that RD is the ultimate Kwaniac & has a MK shrine that he chants over each night... he's just finally figured out a way to trick the so-called skate gods...

Without revealing any secrets all I know is that when I placed my yearly order for chicken and Junior Mints I was told that they were out because a certain Red Dog had just ordered a huge shipment. AND that Madame Tussaud's had received multiple requests from him for their likeness of MK. Unfortunately for RD it had already been promised to a math professor in Detroit.:biggrin:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Without revealing any secrets all I know is that when I placed my yearly order for chicken and Junior Mints I was told that they were out because a certain Red Dog had just ordered a huge shipment. AND that Madame Tussaud's had received multiple requests from him for their likeness of MK. Unfortunately for RD it had already been promised to a math professor in Detroit.:biggrin:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ok, now I must go & clean my computer screen off because the Coke just flew...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife said:
I'm so not understanding the drama over Sasha's quote... She's never been shy about her thoughts on other skaters, based on comments made prior to this one on Kwan... Actually, I always find her anti-skating princess refreshing, but that's just me... :eek:hwell:

I CAN see drama rising over Sasha's quote, just because there are some out there who will take anything Cohen (or non-Cohen) and turn it against her. There are people who just cannot stand her (and once again, perfectly fine by me), and therefore quotes like this from her add fuel to their fire. BTW, I agree with you. No more "typical ice princess". The funny thing is, when you LOOK at Sasha she reminds you of one. But when she opens her mouth- watch out! :laugh:

I actually DO eat a lot of chicken, lol, always have. Long before I knew it was a ritual for die-hard Kwaniacs...But the Junior Mints thing---nah, Starbursts are MUCH better. :laugh:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
I actually DO eat a lot of chicken, lol, always have. Long before I knew it was a ritual for die-hard Kwaniacs...But the Junior Mints thing---nah, Starbursts are MUCH better. :laugh:

Mmmm Hmmm... just as I thought... but your secret is safe with me...

;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
emma said:
Well, I'm not MM so I have nooooooooo idea why he'd think/hope you'd be a Kimmie fan...but from my point of view it would just be great fun to discover which skater makes you a FAN and FEEL something more than indifference or want to say more than critique. And before you misunderstand me...I'm all about the critique...what's the point of rehashing a sporting even if we can't criticize???...i'm just also so moved by so many athletes (skaters and others too), I can't help but wonder what moves you (and other posters too...i.e., part of the fun for me about these boards is rehashing events AND hearing what others like too)

I'd like to take a moment and address this issue.

This is a perfectly valid concern, and I can see where this would come from. After all, "If I'm moved by a skater (or many skaters), if one is a fan, he/she HAS to be moved by at least one skater"- right?

Well, welcome to the world of non-fan, lol. My fandom in (ladies) FS comes from two main things- 1) the Olympic sport, and 2) the element of competition. Now, why skating over another Olympic sport, like skiing? I'm not really into winter sports (that's why I prefer the Summer Olys), but there's something fascinating about jumping, twirling, and spinning on ice that, if done well, can hold my attention. (And if I'm to be completely honest, I can't not say that a few of the ladies also aren't bad to look at. :laugh: But that would be a poor justification for me to make as to why I watch, as there are pretty ladies in other sports as well (i.e. volleyball *yawn* ) which I absolutely wouldn't watch for the life of me.)

But enough of that mess for now. You could say the media hype has a big part to do with it- the suspense of only figure skating I think is built really well into the Olys, especially since it's one of the last events to take place. That's the major reason I like it. Now, in all honesty, a few skaters DID catch my eye, and it was curiosity and internet access that eventually led me here. The rest I have absolutely no idea what happened- it just did.

Now, why did I not become fans of those skaters that I claimed "caught my eye"? Good question- even I don't know. I think it has to do with the way I watch skating. When I watch football or basketball or baseball, I watch to see my team win. But when I watch skating (which BTW I don't think is a sport but I explained this already) I watch to BE AWED (and to see WHO wins). That's the difference I think, and this makes my standards pretty high, hence my criticisms. But this is only a small part of the story- the explainable part. The rest I truly don't know. The pieces just fell into place, if you know what I mean. Hope it helps.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I actually DO eat a lot of chicken, lol, always have. Long before I knew it was a ritual for die-hard Kwaniacs.

Yea but the difference is you cook yours.;)

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
But when I watch skating (which BTW I don't think is a sport but I explained this already) I watch to BE AWED (and to see WHO wins). That's the difference I think, and this makes my standards pretty high, hence my criticisms. But this is only a small part of the story- the explainable part. The rest I truly don't know. The pieces just fell into place, if you know what I mean. Hope it helps.

A question to a non-fan from an uber fan...

Ok, I understand that for you it is not All Michelle, All the Time (even though it should be:laugh: ) ... but who puts you in a state of awe??? I'm a total uber who is routinely awed by Kwan & sometimes by DivaKwara & by Irina's attitude if not by her skating per se... However, I don't understand why you'd be so into a sport if you weren't into the sport... if you know what I mean... esp. when you don't think its even a sport...

I think that curling is extremely cool... but not enough to get slapped around by crazed fanatics in their little cyberzones (and no one can deny that skating fans get real shady & high schoolish about their favorites...) So what's that all about?

ps: you've posted too many times, i cannot find your old post about skating not being a sport... do you, by any chance, remember the thread title? nosy folks who don't feel like working would love to read it...

millie

Medalist
To me, it seems such subtle anger should be directed at the fans not the skaters. But such anger directed at posters in GS is forbidden and will result in banning.

I would suggest you relax, enjoy, and consider corrective criticisms in your posts.

Joe[/QUOTE]

Joe, sometimes I think that you should take your own advice. As I can recall in a thread sometime back, you posted a reaction to my post to the effect that I spent all my time posting on GS--that I should get a life, go to a move, go for a walk. You talk about that subtle anger shouldn,t be directed at the fans not the skaters. Just a word of advice when you degrade and say cutting words to people on GS--YOU don't know these people personally and YOU don't know what goes on in their daily lives!

When I reply to a thread, I don't get personal. I thought that this forum is a place for fans and non-fans can come to express their opinions on figure skating and skaters. We can't get personal about these skaters because we don't know them personally. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion--it's their perogrative to be a fan of a particular skater or a non-fan.

Happy Skating!:) :) :) :) :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Ok, I understand that for you it is not All Michelle, All the Time (even though it should be ) ... but who puts you in a state of awe??? I'm a total uber who is routinely awed by Kwan & sometimes by DivaKwara & by Irina's attitude if not by her skating per se... However, I don't understand why you'd be so into a sport if you weren't into the sport... if you know what I mean... esp. when you don't think its even a sport...

It's sort of the process. I can't say this has truly happened yet, but I have seen good performances along the way. I did my best to explain your other point- I really don't know how else to put it. I'm as much of a non-fan as you can get. Occasionally I may back certain skaters at certain competitions, but this just depends on the mood I'm in at the time.

i cannot find your old post about skating not being a sport... do you, by any chance, remember the thread title? nosy folks who don't feel like working would love to read it...

The thread title is "Idea for the Ice Channel", linked here for your convenience (took me awhile to find, too). Scroll down to post #32 (by me) and read on through the rest of the thread, but don't engage without putting a bullet-proof vest on. It's not for the light of heart :cool:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10113&page=2

ETA: Millie- excellent post- well stated point. :rock:

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
fscric said:
But it's okay, that's expected from him, and I find the effort each time he has to put in to make an indirect dig at Michelle, unlike some others who just blatantly bash Michelle, should be appreciated.
LOL.

Red Dog said:
And if I'm to be completely honest, I can't not say that a few of the ladies also aren't bad to look at. :laugh:
For instance ... KIMMIE!

Hey, Dog. The reason I am trying to proselytize you into becoming an super-uber of somebody is, well, it’s like a religion. I get such a rush of transcendent ecstasy out of my religion that I can’t help but want all my friends to have it, too. So I go around the world with apostolic zeal and try to convert everybody, whether they want to be converted or not.

MM :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
That link you posted (good find, BTW) is from the Harford County public school system in Maryland. Say, my family now lives up in Harford County- does she also go to school up there?

R.D.

Record Breaker
So now, for instance, you're trying to get me to like Meissner or something? Showing me a picture of her with her bronze medal (although it's a good picture, no doubt) won't do it. :laugh: She'll have to work on her own, man...

I've been down that path before, i.e. trying something out just because someone was mesmerized by it... (but while it's an experience for me, it just NEVER quite seems to work :scratch: )

Millie - Your use of rofl emoticons were confusing. You did use them quite frequently and I just didn't get it. I didn't know whether you were making a joke out of your reply to the post of the writer or laughing at the writer's post or worst, laughing at the writer. You never did explain that but you have since limited your use of the rofl emoticon

As for my getting worked up, I am human too, but I do try to catch myself from becoming too insistent on a topic that irks me like the flutz! and the judges! but I have great respect for skaters and the fans of those skaters.

By all means when I am annoying you without a good explanation, let me know.

Joe