MK anti-doping PSA | Golden Skate

MK anti-doping PSA

R.D.

Record Breaker
Interesting. But I don't think I've ever heard of a figure skater taking steroids or other performance-enhancing drugs. :laugh: I think they might just get in the way, actually. :laugh:

(P.S. correct me if I'm wrong or seriously deluded)

That's an interesting question. If a figure skater bulked up by taking steroids, would he be able to do a bunch of quads?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
There have been some drug related suspensions. Berzhnaja has been disqualified for a bad test, and I believe so were Klimova and Ponomarenko (though it was clear than in both cases banned substances came from cold medication). The main value in doping for skaters would, I think, be endurance.

Here is Tarasova in a 2002 interview on the subject:
A. VENEDIKTOV. But it’s not a problem is figure skating, right?
T. TARASOVA. I don’t use it. I can’t speak for others, but I don’t.
A. VENEDIKTOV. Why?
T. TARASOVA. I would be happy if doping control would also take place after the short. Now, we only have it after the free.
A. VENEDIKTOV. You don’t think that it’s hard to stop progress? This medicine cannot be stopped. New inventions lead to new temptations.
T. TARASOVA. Of course, there is temptation. Normally, you spend 2 years working on a new element, whereas this way you can pick it up in 1 day, and the muscle memory will do its trick, and you’ll have it. The day you learn it, you may not have a visit from the doping control, and there – you already know it. It’s a big temptation. But either you do it, or you don’t.
A. VENEDIKTOV. How do we fight the coach’s temptation? Not to mention the athlete’s.
T. TARASOVA. I think there is nothing stronger than one’s will.
A. VENEDIKTOV. Is that the answer?
T. TARASOVA. Yes

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
Sounds like TT has her own suspecious!

It really does sound that way...I wonder what they are (in detail) and why specifically she mentioned the short programs (for needing 'doping control').

Also, because I know close to nothing about drug use for athletes, how would drug use allow a skater to learn a move faster?

mzheng

Record Breaker
emma said:
It really does sound that way...I wonder what they are (in detail) and why specifically she mentioned the short programs (for needing 'doping control').

Also, because I know close to nothing about drug use for athletes, how would drug use allow a skater to learn a move faster?
If she was talking about having drug testing after the short. I believe with CoP there is more reason to have the drug testing after the short. Since one can now build 'HUGE' lead in SP under the CoP.

There was mention of 'New inventions lead to new temptations' and 'muscle memory ', guess she was refering some new medicine helps muscle memory.....She must've heard some 'wind'......But where the wind came from?