Yoga for Skaters? | Golden Skate

Yoga for Skaters?

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Do any of you skaters do yoga as part of your off-ice training? The gym I just joined offers two types, Astanga and Hatha, and I'm wondering which would be more beneficial for a skater.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I don't take a yoga class, but I do do yoga type stretching off the ice. I would think any stretching program would be beneficial for skating.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
I don't (and would be more likely to chose Pilates than yoga if I had time) but both my coaches take yoga and recommend it, especially for flexibility and allignment.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
julietvalcouer said:
I don't (and would be more likely to chose Pilates than yoga if I had time) but both my coaches take yoga and recommend it, especially for flexibility and allignment.

There is a pilates class offered on alternate nights from yoga, so I may try both.

gracefulswan

On the Ice
i am so into yoga that it's like my #1 passion these days,LOL. i have to have my 3x a week yoga fix. i'm even thinking of going to a yoga retreat after graduation. there's one i just learned of in tennessee.

i really want to improve with this exercise and am working hard at it. i already notice that i'm so much more flexible after doing yoga for almost 2 years.

LateComer

Spectator
I like taking Yoga and I think skating really benifits from it. I noticed a lot of poses they do teach are very much related to skating. It has helped me become a lot more flexible, especially with my layback and spirals. I also notice if I do at least 15-20 minutes of yoga before I go onto the ice, I can jump better and spin better. I highly reccomend it. The type of yoga I take is Hatha but in a small town, there really isnt much to offer. I am looking for a more intense type of yoga now.