Men's Free Skate................For Real | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate................For Real

LBC

On the Ice
What happened to Tim? He seems to be getting worse. Congrats to the medalists.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
The final results in men´s event:

http://www.isufs.org/results/gpusa05/CAT001RS.HTM

WOW, so great for Takahashi to win!!! And my another favourite skater, Lysacek, as second, yeah!!! I have to admit that I´m rather surprised (in very positive sense) concerning Takahashi. I had expected certain skaters to be help up by the judges... Will be looking forward to the clips, as I´m curious with Joubert´s freeskate judging though!

Takahashi´s next event seems to be NHK, where he among others will also meet Lysacek again:

http://www.sportcentric.com/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-166076-183294-89225-0-file,00.pdf

Last edited:

mpal2

Final Flight
Dennis Phan beat Goebel in the free? Tim is really struggling. I expected him to place higher.

I can't remember Dennis all that well. He had to withdraw from last years Nationals due to injury right? I vaguely remember him from 2002 and 2003 Nats and I think I was impressed enough to at least remember his name. I wish I had a televised program to help out my memory.

Olderbear

Rinkside
It's interesting to note that Tim's PCS scores were higher than the 3 men above him. I really hope they show his skate on TV, but considering last week's TV ripoff, I can't expect anything. He must still be struggling on his jumps.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Yeah..............Acccording to the FSU pbp report, Tim singled alot of his jumps and fell on his quad:no:

I feel so sorry for him

Wow! Takahashi pummeled Joubert and Lysecek! Over a 20-point different between Takahashi and Joubert.

Maybe this Olympics the excitement really will be in the men's event.

Go Daisuke! :clap:

Rgirl

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Olderbear said:
It's interesting to note that Tim's PCS scores were higher than the 3 men above him. I really hope they show his skate on TV, but considering last week's TV ripoff, I can't expect anything. He must still be struggling on his jumps.

He really struggled on his jumps. That is such a shame to me as IMO, he has really made some huge improvements in all the other areas.

DG

doug_log

On the Ice
Takahashi: olympic medalist?

Hey all, I just watced Takahashi, Tim, and Evan. I won't say much about Evan's program cause most people saw the cheesefest. I will say that he skated it much better. He landed both 3A's cleanly, but he's still leaning a lot on his outside edge when he lands.

Tim's PCS scores were higher than the 3 above him, and they deserved to be. I think his Bald Mountain program is AMAZING. I'm surprised at Tim's stamina. The choreography is difficult, interesting, and perfectly suited to the music. This program has so much potential. all Tim needs are the jumps to be there. I think he was supposed to have a spread eagle into 3A and then footwork into 3A. If he can land that: WOW!

Takahashi: unless this performance was a fluke, he is a major player this season. He has the best artistry of all the men. I prefer his style to Plushenko, Weir, Joubert, Lambiel, Klimkin, buttle, sandhu. Where did this guy come from?! He had a beautiful 3a-3t, but unfortunately missed his quad (slightly underrotated from what i can tell). He's an Olympic medal contender. He has a style that the western/eastern european and n. american judges love. His 20 point victory means something.

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
doug_log said:
Takahashi: unless this performance was a fluke, he is a major player this season. He has the best artistry of all the men. I prefer his style to Plushenko, Weir, Joubert, Lambiel, Klimkin, buttle, sandhu. Where did this guy come from?! He had a beautiful 3a-3t, but unfortunately missed his quad (slightly underrotated from what i can tell). He's an Olympic medal contender. He has a style that the western/eastern european and n. american judges love. His 20 point victory means something.

Is Takahashi the skater who at worlds last year fell on nearly every attempted triple jump? He looked physically exhausted from about the half way point and huffed and puffed his way through the rest of the program. To give him his dues he went for every triple rather than popping to a double, of course he got double dinged for going down on a few underotated ones so a fall on a called double rather than the triple he tried. I remember the british eurosport commentators saying "whoever choreographed that program for him needs to be shot" on the basis that there was too much complex choreo or positions going into every jump without allowing him to build up speed or calm himself before the next jump! Glad to hear he doing better this season.

Ant

Vash01

Medalist
Rgirl said:
Wow! Takahashi pummeled Joubert and Lysecek! Over a 20-point different between Takahashi and Joubert.

Maybe this Olympics the excitement really will be in the men's event.

Go Daisuke! :clap:

Rgirl

Actually it was bigger. Takahashi beat Lysacek by 24.8 points (that's almost 25 points!) and he beat Joubert by even more (around 30 points- I will have to check the numbers). He could have actually fallen on the quad and still won! Takahashi outskated the world bronze and the past world silver medallist, which is pretty amazing. The mens field is really deep this year, with Plushenko, Lambiel,Weir, Buttle, Joubert. Add Takahashi to the mix.

I really hope he can respond positively to the suddenly high expectations of him. The Japanese press is notorious for pressuring top Japanese skaters to the extent they cannot skate well anymore. Midori and Shizuka are good examples of this. I hope Daisuke has enough confidence in himself to handle the pressure.

Vash

MaureenKB

Rinkside
Interesting Tidbit

I was speaking with a volunteer before the Men's medal ceremony who worked with the tech in setting up the music for the skaters.

Before the short program Takahashi's coach came over and asked them if they had the Japanese national anthem ready. She said he was skating very well and she felt he was going to win.

They assured her they had the anthem. She came back a second time and
asked to hear it. The tech and volunteer thought she was a little overbearing until they saw the short program.

Maureen

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
An open note to Kurt Browning

Kurt, honey...
If you're going to do international commentary, you need to have some familiarity with the skaters involved. Having Terry Gannon clue you in as to what Kevin Van der Perren has done was a new low in ESPN figure skating coverage. :no:
I cringed for you.
Rave

PS - or was it just me? Hmm?

emma

Record Breaker
Ravyn Rant said:
Kurt, honey...
If you're going to do international commentary, you need to have some familiarity with the skaters involved. Having Terry Gannon clue you in as to what Kevin Van der Perren has done was a new low in ESPN figure skating coverage. :no:
I cringed for you.
Rave

PS - or was it just me? Hmm?

No, I cringed too...and I'm always a bit behind on who's who and I knew who Van der Perren was...but i lurvvve Kurt so I'll forgive him!

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I agree with doug_log about Tim Goebel's program. Tarasova has given him a great, great program, and I hope he has a skate for the ages with it, because it would be shame to leave that choregraphy hanging on the rack. I thought he moved exceptionally well, at least on TV.

Takahashi has been a very talented, artistic skater for several years after winning Jr. Worlds. He's landed quads in competition before. He hasn't been consistent, though, in the same Senior competition until this year, starting with JIC. Last year's LP in Moscow was a case in point. Honda's injury within the first 20 seconds of his quali program put enormous pressure on Takahashi, and there were murmurs during the competition that he was injured. He's a joy to watch live. He's "voidy" as they would say on FSU.

Joubert's timing looks off, and I'm sad to see that his choreography is as bland as last year's. He's been working hard on his spins, though, and has made enormous improvement over the last two years.

MaureenKB said:
I was speaking with a volunteer before the Men's medal ceremony who worked with the tech in setting up the music for the skaters.

Before the short program Takahashi's coach came over and asked them if they had the Japanese national anthem ready. She said he was skating very well and she felt he was going to win.

They assured her they had the anthem. She came back a second time and
asked to hear it. The tech and volunteer thought she was a little overbearing until they saw the short program.

Maureen
Haha. Great post, maureen. thanks for joining us.

Mathman :)

JOHIO2

Medalist
I think Tim's choreography is good, but his jumps were just plain absent. While I watched him skate at SA, I wondered why his arms and shoulders looked wrong on his jumps. I noticed the same thing watching the taped version. I can't speak to his edging into the jumps because my eyes were drawn to his upper body, which looked very stiff, even stiffer than I've noticed before and I always wanted him to have better posture and arm movement. Try tai chi, Tim! It will help loosen your arms and shoulder movements.