Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Figures And Figure Skating

SkateFan4Life
    [QUOTE=soogar]I strongly disagree with this. Surya Bonaly trained under figures and competed with figures and she never attained proper carriage. I'm not saying that figures are useless, but skating with speed, proper carriage and extension aren't developed with figures. Figures train balance, edges and precision (tracing) and figures are done *slower* than freestyle. I'm not going to say that figures doesn't help, but I think that to force skaters to do them to perfection (like in the past) would be a serious step backward for skating. First of all, ice time is expensive. To master figures, you have to practice them at least 3 hours a day. Skating is exclusive enough without adding that cost. Second ever since figures were dropped, more countries have been participating in worlds and the GP. I think it's because the costs and ice time have significantly been lowered since dropping figures making the sport more accessible. /QUOTE]

How can you use Surya Bonaly as an example of a figure skater who did not benefit from training with school figures? Give me a break. This woman never learned proper technique, period, and her basic skating skills were terrible.

I did NOT advocate requiring figure skaters to go through endless years of school figure training. Please. I certainly realize that it's not practical, at this point, to re-introduce all of the figure eights, the various tests, etc., that used to be the norm for competitive singles skaters. What I would like to see is for some sort of school figure training to be incorporated in the young skater's practices. No tests - just learn how to trace simple figure eights, etc. And also emphasis good carriage, posture, etc. I strongly feel that the figures enabled the skaters of earlier days to skate with better form, but I would never recommnd that they return to the days of old and spend endless hours in the pre-dawn skating patches. :sheesh:

Ice Angel
    In a way it's true... Some talented jumpers don't have good edges, but they have very good huge jumps. So the jumping edges are not really based on the move or figure edges.

Custom Title
    How can you use Surya Bonaly as an example of a figure skater who did not benefit from training with school figures? Give me a break. This woman never learned proper technique, period, and her basic skating skills were terrible.
    [/QUOTE]

This woman who learned crappy technique competed very well under the old system with figures so she was at least reasonably competent at them. Or if you look at the way Midori struggled to maintain her balance when doing figures, you would think that the girl could barely do crossovers around a rink. They're two totally different things and I don't think kids would be better skaters if they trained figures. You don't need to put a kid on patch to teach him/her how to do rockers and choctaws and other turns. The benefit of figures was the sheer repetition. If a skater has to practice figures for 3 hours a day to compete at a high level, think about how many times the skater is repeating the same turns over and over. If skaters take the same approach to moves in the field, they would have those turns down pat as well. It's not as if ice dancers are practicing figures to get those twizzles, edges and turns.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    It's not as if ice dancers are practicing figures to get those twizzles, edges and turns.
    No, but we do the repetition thing ad nauseum. And then some! And actually, when it came time for me to work on my Rocker Foxtrot, I was first taught the rocker turn in the old figure pattern.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2