MTV's Made--I wanna be a skater | Golden Skate

MTV's Made--I wanna be a skater

Johar

Medalist
MTV's Made--I wanna be a skater--Wednesday night

This Wednesday night, on the MTV show "Made," a jock wants to learn to be a figure skater. It looks like Oksana Baiul is helping coach him!

The premise behind the show is to take a teen with a seemingly impossible goal and help them reach it. A goth wants to be a prom queen, a klutz wants to learn dance, a nerd wants to get into the dating world, the beauty queen want to be a punk skater, the nerd wants to make cheerleader, etc.

It's actually not that bad of a show, and most do make their goals. The last one I saw this sorta geekish guy wanted to get into the dating world rather than sit at home all summer playing games. He had a life coach teach him how to act, dress, talk to females. Though he didn't get the girl he had a crush on, he met another girl who seemed alot nicer and cuter.

Last edited:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Johar said:
This Wednesday night, on the MTV show "Made," a jock wasnts to learn to be a figure skater. It looks like Oksana Baiul is helping coach him!

The premise behind the show is to take a kid with a seemingly impossible goal and help them reach it. A goth wants to be a prom queen, a klutz wants to learn dance, a nerd wants to get into the dating world, etc.

You've gotta be kidding me. I wonder WHY he wants to become a skater.

Johar

Medalist
Nope, I am not kidding. I normally don't ever watch MTV, but happened to be channel surfing from the comfort of my bed and saw a girl wakeboarding. Then I realized I was watching Made, and they show a preview of the guy wanting to learn to skate. He was flopping all over the ice.

Hey, Johar! That was no guy! That was ME!!!

Flopping around, huh? Well I never... :biggrin:

Rgirl--Obviously Just Kidding:) Thanks for the heads up. I'll be on the look-out for it.

I was very impressed with the guy! What he did is very tough for a high school "jock," especially at a heavy-duty jock school.

I also thought the way he skated--won't SPOIL for anybody who hasn't seen it yet:)--was very impressive considering the way he started out.

My favorite scene was the benchpress "contest" initiated by the guy's father with his figure skating coach. I'll give a hint on who won this one: Figure skating coaches :rock:!

Was also :rofl: that they brough Oksana Baiul in as the kid's special "fall" coach.

Now I just hope this kid will drop-kick some of his supposed "friends" and go with the ones who really support him. I give our "Made" figure skater maximum points in all areas!

Rgirl

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
I think Zach Mendez did well. It was enjoyable, watching him transform from this jock into a skater. If anything, it must've been an eye-opener.

Seeing Oksana Baiul and Vyacheslav Zagorodniuk (he was right behind the dad when the dad and Zach were speaking Spanish during the competition) was cool =) Vyacheslav got a tan! LOL

Johar

Medalist
Who was his MADE coach? He looked familiar.

I hope that Zack continues to skate and rids himself of his friends who don't support him.

Was anybody as nervous before his performance as I was? I had butterflies in my tummy!:laugh:

Arsenette

On the Ice
LOL I watched it with my husband and he and I wanted to shoot him a couple times (I won't spoil) at first :rofl: I actually enjoyed an MTV show :biggrin:

Jhar55

Medalist
Zach surprised me didn't think he was going to pull it off. Shame they had to do this during his school sport season which may have cost is team the lost because he put more into the skating then his first comment his high school team. And because of that I think he let the team down.

cmego500

Rinkside
Jhar55 said:
Zach surprised me didn't think he was going to pull it off. Shame they had to do this during his school sport season which may have cost is team the lost because he put more into the skating then his first comment his high school team. And because of that I think he let the team down.

Although it is pathetic how a team can be so weak overall that without their best player they can't win. If a team were really well rounded they would be able to win even without one of their best there.

Now to say something about the show, i really liked it. I really loved that he wasn't ashamed of liking figure skating like most men are when confronted with it. I specially loved how his dad came around towards the end.

Jhar55 said:
I agree with Cmego500 that Zach alone cannot be held responsible for his lacrosse team's loss. However, I thought the choices Zach had to make and the consequences he felt his team suffered because of his choices made for a good life lesson in how things often work in adult life. Many times, there is no "right" thing to do, and no matter what you do, somebody or some group of people is going to blame you for a bad outcome, whether or not you were responsible, just because they didn't like the choices you'd been making.

I thought it was good for Zach to go through that experience while he was in high school and at least had his family and some real friends around for support. I also thought it was good that Zach found out in high school how shallow "best" friends can be when the going gets tough. IMO, better he find this out now when it's just a high school sport vs. pursuing his dream of figure skating for just a while--all on national television, lol--than later in life when the stakes may be much higher, ie, his job or the family he starts himself,

As the saying goes, your learn from your problems, not your successes. However in this case, I'd say Zach learned from both. What a likable young man.

Rgirl

sk8rgrl3

Rinkside
His made coach was Dave Loncar. He is a coach in the Richmond area. He is orginally from PA. He skated at the Penguin FSC in the late 70's early 80's.

Jhar55

Medalist
Yes, your correct that it take more than one to make the team, but IMO his team was counting on him to do his part and he didn't becasue he was to tired from learning how to skate.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Word, Rgirl. Real life requires making choices. Unless he was SUCH a huge star that this just blew his chance at a full ride (not having seen it, I don't know), he made the right decision--experiment now, explore now, and learn to make choices now, rather than getting smacked in the head with it as an adult.

As far as high school sports are concerned, the only effort really required is showing up and not just standing there or bench-warming. It's not like it matters in the long run. Ten years down the road, unless you made it into a professional league, no one will remember or care about anything you did in high school.

K-Mo

On the Ice
I thought it was cool how he was so proud of himself. I wonder if he will keep at it.

Johar

Medalist
I thought the guy had guts to take a risk by learning something very new and hard while some of his "friends" made fun of it.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Zach was cute!

madezach3.jpg

madezach2.jpg

madezach.jpg

madezach4.jpg

Johar

Medalist
Does anyone know if Zach continued skating? On the MTV website is an area called "Life After Made" but since I am on dialup (26.4 Kbps) I am unable to play the video clip.