Turn! Turn! Turn! | Golden Skate

Turn! Turn! Turn!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I am so glad that difficult spins and spin variations are an important part of the CoP. I get such a thrill watching skaters like Alyssa Czisny pull off a beautiful, fast and varied spin combination. There were years when that aspect of skating seemed to slide into oblivion and I really missed it.

Sometimes skaters are so S-L-O-W in their spins that I just want to push them and yell "SPIN FASTER!"

Uncle Dick has always heaped tons of praise on a fabulous spinner.
:thumbsup:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yoshie Onda during her SA freeskate was really slow. She was really struggling out there, esp. on her spins.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I didn't get to see Yoshie Onda SA skate, but I know form her past performances her spins were pretty poor compared to her jumping.

RealtorGal-I'm glad too that spins are becoming important again with the new scoring system. It's hard keeping a spin spinning fast unless it is well centered.

IDLERACER

Medalist
There will never be another Lucinda Ruh, but that's what everyone should be striving for.

CDMM1991

Medalist
IDLERACER said:
There will never be another Lucinda Ruh, but that's what everyone should be striving for.

Alissa's the closest we're getting these days. :rock:

I don't agree at all. The CoP does not particularly reward fast well-centered spins. A Dorothy Hamill blur spin (the most spectacular move in the history of figure skating) would only be a level one.

Instead, the CoP seems to reward a lot of weird and ungainly flailing, a la Johnny Weir or Emanuel Sandhu. I bet Toller Cranston wishes he could come back.

(Um, but what you said about Alissa, yeah. :) )

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Mathman said:

Instead, the CoP seems to reward a lot of weird and ungainly flailing, a la Johnny Weir or Emanuel Sandhu. I bet Toller Cranston wishes he could come back.

Yeah, word. What is with some of the weird 'head-between-your-knees' positions lately? The one I'm talking about is the one during Alissa's program at Campbell's where Peggy Flemming says something to the effect of "Ooh, I don't like that one." It's weird, it's ugly, and it seems to be done just to do something different.

*drags out DVD of the Mickey Mouse Club to watch Ronnie Robertson spin again. Holy crap, that man could spin. 420-480 rpm....the mind boggles.*

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
spins

I've only seen Emmanuel Sandu and Jeffery Buttle do that spin and I thought it was cool for men to do but women should stick to the pretty spins.

soogar

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I don't agree at all. The CoP does not particularly reward fast well-centered spins. A Dorothy Hamill blur spin (the most spectacular move in the history of figure skating) would only be a level one.

) )

Well the skater needs to make the choice. Lambiel has said in an interview with BOI that he abhores ugly slow spins and he won't do them. I also notice that Lambiel does the simple spins extremely well and racks up high GOEs for them even though Lambiel tends to travel on his spins.