Urgent Update: Tanith Belbin Citizenship | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Urgent Update: Tanith Belbin Citizenship

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Ravyn Rant said:
From your mouth to the diety's ears, Sailor G! I probably wrote my senators too late for my letter to have an effect, but thanks to Senators Boxer & Feinstein anyway.

:rofl: :rofl:
No prob, Ravyn

As for the deadline, I think she has to be a U.S. citizen by the end of the year

But I'm not positive:scratch:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
SailorGalaxia518 said:
Now it's just the matter of the underlying bill that needs to be passed and then I think were home free
Actually (anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong), first it needs to pass the Senate (which it should). Then the conference committee should reconcile the House and Senate versions of the bill - hopefully the Levin ammendment won't be thrown away at that point. Then both houses should vote on the final bill. Then the president should sign it. And it should all happen fast enough to let the INS get Tanith through the process and get her the citizenship before the end of the year.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
Actually (anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong), first it needs to pass the Senate (which it should)...... And it should all happen fast enough to let the INS get Tanith through the process and get her the citizenship before the end of the year.
Thanks. That's reasuring.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Amazing...while Rome burns and her people suffer

Doggygirl said:
Just what else is part of this appropriations bill, where Tanith's citizenship (or a broader change in citizenship is part of an ammendment? "Appropriations" generally has to do with how taxpayer money is spent. I'm personally not going to be contacting any Senators urging support of a bill that might impact how MY hard earned money is spent, just to support an athlete for an Oly season.

I know that the bill number was indicated in the initial post. Has anyone else looked this up to see exactly what we're being asked to support in full (not just the part that benefits Tanith)?

DG

:clap: DG

JOHIO2

Medalist
I see no reason for the rider to not be included in any final resolution of the two bills. It costs virtually nothing and gets good publicity, whether B/A medal at the Olympics next year or not. Now, about that spending bill.......read whatever you want here.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
JOHIO2 said:
I see no reason for the rider to not be included in any final resolution of the two bills. It costs virtually nothing and gets good publicity, whether B/A medal at the Olympics next year or not. Now, about that spending bill.......read whatever you want here.
Jo, you're right, and I'm sure it will all pass. The only question is - will it pass in time?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
SailorGalaxia518 said:
Just found out that the actual bill has passed today

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Do you mean that the bill has only passed the Senate (so it still has to go into conference with the House version of the bill), or, has a bill passed the full Congress already?

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Foooey (from Tanith's perspective). So it looks like the silver Oly medals are surely up for grabs.

Spirit

On the Ice
Mathman said:
The bill was defeated in the House, 224-209, yesterday.

wtswrong.jpg

Oh, well.

Thanks for the update, Mathman.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
The bill failed because some Republicans finally got a conscience and voted against a bill that cuts education and medical spending, thus effecting America's neediest people. I am all for changing the rules to allow Belbin to go to the Olympics, but, begrudgingly, I have to accept that the needs of millions of Americans take precedent.

Spirit

On the Ice
BTW: I know some people here were hesitant about the legislation they were trying to pass. I don't know if this was already posted, but Christine Brennan summarized it, and it didn't sound that bad.

They weren't trying to change rules for gaining citizenship. They were trying to close a loophole so that the rules which are already in place would become retroactive for people whose citizenship process began before the rules changed. One of these people was Tanith.

Spirit

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
The bill failed because some Republicans finally got a conscience and voted against a bill that cuts education and medical spending, thus effecting America's neediest people. I am all for changing the rules to allow Belbin to go to the Olympics, but, begrudgingly, I have to accept that the needs of millions of Americans take precedent.
Thanks, Ptichka. I take it this was a package deal, with all sorts of legislation? Pass the whole thing or none of it?

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Spirit said:
Thanks, Ptichka. I take it this was a package deal, with all sorts of legislation? Pass the whole thing or none of it?

I haven't read the particulars, but that's what generally happens. Other "minor" bills get tacked onto bigger, more publicized ones and if a senator or representative feels one way about one and differently about another, they're stuck.

I think this is done this way b/c the Houses don't want to take time to consider every bill on it's own merits and thus the lump things together for the sake of time, or for more sinister means.

This seriously sucks for Tanith, btw. :cry:

JOHIO2

Medalist
A set back, for sure, but never give up on this. They can always do a special bill and the current bill it's tacked onto will go back for another conference rewrite. Hoping it's one I can live with.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
*bump*

So what's the update on this? During ESPN's NHK coverage last week, Tanith told Christine Brennan that the bill would be voted on after Dec 5 (last week). Any word on where it is now (House or Senate)?

swannanoa54

On the Ice
It will have a rough time in the Senate because it's piggybacked on to a bill that is making cuts in Education, Labor, and Health/Human Services. The House passed the bill by 2 votes I believe.

AFAIC, I hope it doesn't pass. As much as I'd love to see Tanith skate for the US at the Olympics, I set more priority on the cuts in education that will affect our students. I'm not sorry I feel that way either. Some things seem to just have more importance to me.

I wish that they would have started this sooner so that it could have been a separate bill by itself instead of getting piggybacked onto an appropriations bill. Geez louise, like anyone in Congress is EVER gonna agree on that. Plus the fact remains that the bill may be stalled due to disagreement in the Senate which means they will table it until after the holidays.:scratch: