Under the Radar: Rohene Ward | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Under the Radar: Rohene Ward

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
Rohene belongs in Turin as much as anyone

What a lovely interview. :clap: It is wonderful to see the word getting out and anticipation building for Rohene. We've been watching him grow and come into his own in the UGL region for years--always amazed at his gifts and hopeful for his prospects at the highest levels. Watching Rohene skate is a totally involving experience. He has every ounce of "first-rate" speed, grace and athleticism, as Dick would (and will!) say, but beyond that his skating is moving in an undefinable way, which must come either from his "complete" love of skating or from that God he mentions. :love: As improbable as it might seem for an "unknown" skater to jump onto the Olympic team, in Rohene's case, if he skates well at Mids and Nationals, it will be inevitable. Not that conventional wins and stardom matter all the much for someone who loves skating completely and his fans and supporters who love him completely--but it would be nice! :rock:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
nicole_l said:
I think Weir and Lysacek are pretty much locked in for a spot on the team (imo), and it's up to Weiss, Ward, Jahnke, Goebel, Smith, Savoie etc. to fight it out for that last spot.
I don't think that anyone besides Johnny has a spot locked up for Torino. Evan's program at SA was just awful. Horrible choreography and skated poorly to boot (no pun intended!) Yes, he placed second but that was more a result of everyone below him skating worse. There was a huge point spread between his skate and that of the winner. He will have to skate much better to make the U.S. team.

That said, I have only seen Ward skate once and it was a meltdown, so I have no idea how well he is capable of skating. If he is as good as many say he is, then it seems like his chances are as good as anyone else's.

Wouldn't that be something to see previously unheralded skaters such as Ward and Czisny make the Olympic team this year with spectacular skates at Nationals? :clap: Talk about a breath of fresh air!

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
RealtorGal said:
Wouldn't that be something to see previously unheralded skaters such as Ward and Czisny make the Olympic team this year with spectacular skates at Nationals? :clap: Talk about a breath of fresh air!

ITA.

emma

Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:

I think it would be really, really exciting to see....of course, I'm an old faithful of sorts too, but totally into watching 'new' talent as well.