Pairs Free Skate | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pairs Free Skate

Vash01

Medalist
thisthingcalledlove said:
Claudia Rauschenbach is Annet Poetzsch's daughter.

Wow! Annet P. is that old? She was the 1980 OGM, so - yes, she could have a daughter old enough to be skating in the seniors.

Thanks

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Vash01 said:
Wow! Annet P. is that old? She was the 1980 OGM, so - yes, she could have a daughter old enough to be skating in the seniors.

Thanks

Claudia is also Witt's niece. She uses her stepfather's last name. That's some pedigree. I haven't seen her skate, but I'd love too.

The pairs competition left me with only two deep impressions. I liked S &S's short. I thought they sold it well, but were too scared to get too emotionally involved with their long.

Plus, someone should tell Petrova gently but firmly to never wear that costume again. She's just too petite for the V. It made her look as broad as a barn. I wonder if that cost them points. I know it's superficial, but the look counts too.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Wasn't there another famous Rauschenbach.....Mandy Woetzel's early partner, Axel Rauschenbach??? Is Axel R. Caludia's dad?

Linny

Final Flight
P&t

Me, too, Vash, I like P&T. He cracks me up, actually, working so derned hard, being, what, a good 10 years older than the other pairs? Now, if you want a pair to leave you totally cold, it would be the current world champions.
Linny

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Frau Muller said:
Wasn't there another famous Rauschenbach.....Mandy Woetzel's early partner, Axel Rauschenbach??? Is Axel R. Caludia's dad?

According to a biography that I've read, he's her stepfather. Axel Witt is her father.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
After finally seeing the FS on TV, I think S&S benefited from the CoP a lot. I am no fan of Pet & Tik, and it is indeed nice to see some new blood out there; with time, I'm sure they can rise to great levels.

However, I think CoP did not fully reflect the level at which P&T skated "as one" over S&S. Indeed, P&T has higher components than S&S, and lost on elements. There, however, I think the Russians weren't rewarded enough for their greater unity. Finally, in the rules on component scoring for pairs, things such as "unison" are included in almost each of the components; I would rather see unison being a 6th component.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
However, I think CoP did not fully reflect the level at which P&T skated "as one" over S&S. Indeed, P&T has higher components than S&S, and lost on elements. There, however, I think the Russians weren't rewarded enough for their greater unity. Finally, in the rules on component scoring for pairs, things such as "unison" are included in almost each of the components; I would rather see unison being a 6th component.
I disagree. I think that Totmianina/Marinin skate as one, but not Petrova/Tikhonov as much. She is amazing, but he is a bit lumbering, although improving in the last year, since his posture and his stamina go hand-in-hand. In some ways Borzenkova and 6'6" Chivuyaev move more as one, and the newish pair Sheshtakova/Lebedev are remarkably in synch. Savchenko and Skolkowy are very well suited, mainly because he has good posture, and I think they are quite simpatico.

From the above comments, I would imagine they were not shown on TV during Moscow Worlds. Drats with those TV people. That is where I saw them and was quite impressed. They had a lot of rapport with each other in Moscow which I thought was somewhat lacking in Canada. They also had a few minor flubs at SC which I thought was enough to give the gold to P&T. I am still impressed with S&S and look forward to more competitions from them.

However, Canada is producing some very potentially winning Pair teams, and I think next year given all the retirements that are expected, Canada will be a force in Pairs.

Joe

Last edited: