The Russians are Coming! | Golden Skate

The Russians are Coming!

Which of these Russian/Soviet men do you consider to be the all-time greatest?

• Sergei Chetveroukhin

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Vladimir Kovalev

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexander Fadeyev

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Viktor Petrenko

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Alexei Urmanov

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Ilia Kulik

Votes: 13 12.7%
  • Alexei Yagudin

Votes: 66 64.7%
  • Evgeny Plushenko

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Other (Please discuss)

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Russian males have dominated the world figure skating scene over the past several years. Many Russian/Soviet males also had a great impact on the figure skating world in previous decades. Which do you consider to be th all-time greatest male skater to come from Russia or the former Soviet Union?
Why?

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I voted for Alexei Yagudin. How much better can it get in russian skating, or mens skating, for that matter? Except, Paul Wylie comes close, but he's not russian...:)

Germanice

On the Ice
They are coming??? They're already there!!! ;) And almost leaving, cause I don't know what'll happen after Plushenko's retirement. :mad:

My answer won't surprise, will it? Yagudin by far, to me not only the best Russian male, but also one of the greatest (male) skaters of all time! A skating legend already, and worldwide. Nobody else has/had left so much impact on other skaters, nobody has still so many admirers among skating fans, even though he did his last eligible competition in 2002.

Personally I'd put Kulik in second, but all in all I think it's Plushenko. Kulik has Oly Gold, but Plushenko has more titles and a longer lasting career. And in popularity terms he's the only one who comes close to Yagudin. Time will tell how skating history will once judge on him. If nothing changes dramatically, he'll remain as one great, extraordinary skater with an impressive collection of titles and medals, but without a real memorable program/performance. IMO! (It's not Plushy's fault though, it's all about strange choreographies, horrible music cuts etc. and the typical "Mishin" style; Plushenko was never in the position to develop something of his "own").

Anke

Vash01

Medalist
Germanice said:
They are coming??? They're already there!!! ;) And almost leaving, cause I don't know what'll happen after Plushenko's retirement. :mad:

My answer won't surprise, will it? Yagudin by far, to me not only the best Russian male, but also one of the greatest (male) skaters of all time! A skating legend already, and worldwide. Nobody else has/had left so much impact on other skaters, nobody has still so many admirers among skating fans, even though he did his last eligible competition in 2002.

Personally I'd put Kulik in second, but all in all I think it's Plushenko. Kulik has Oly Gold, but Plushenko has more titles and a longer lasting career. And in popularity terms he's the only one who comes close to Yagudin. Time will tell how skating history will once judge on him. If nothing changes dramatically, he'll remain as one great, extraordinary skater with an impressive collection of titles and medals, but without a real memorable program/performance. IMO! (It's not Plushy's fault though, it's all about strange choreographies, horrible music cuts etc. and the typical "Mishin" style; Plushenko was never in the position to develop something of his "own").

Anke

In terms of talent I would say Kulik is the greatest. In terms of achievement, Yagudin is. We don't know yet how far Plushenko will go.

I have to disagree with you about Plushenko's programs-"strange choreographies, horrible music cuts" as you put it. I find his programs enjoyable, difficult, with his signature on them. St.Petersburg 300, Nijinski, and the Godfather are all my favorites. It is Plushenko's style, nor Mishin's. If it was, all of Mishin's students would have identical programs.

Vash

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Well, Artur Dmitriev has Olympic gold medals with two partners and has also made quite an impact on the sport. Segeii Grinkov is another to consider along with Protopopov.

tracylynn

Rinkside
Yagudin by a mile. Yagudin has something that I just can't put my finger on it. He seems to have the whole package...choreography, costumes, jumps, personality, and passion. When I see him skater I'm just in awe of his ability and performance. Simply put...he pulls me in and doesn't let go and that I like.

After Yagudin, I would vote for Arthur. He seems to be my kind of guy. LOL!!!

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
They are coming??? They're already there!!! And almost leaving, cause I don't know what'll happen after Plushenko's retirement.

:biggrin: ....true, but I thought it was a fun, eye-catching thread title anyway! You do raise a good question, Anke. What happens after Plushenko? There aren't anymore obvious Russian prodigies in the wings right now, but perhaps we will be pleasantly surprised.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
BronzeisGolden said:
:biggrin: ....true, but I thought it was a fun, eye-catching thread title anyway! You do raise a good question, Anke. What happens after Plushenko? There aren't anymore obvious Russian prodigies in the wings right now, but perhaps we will be pleasantly surprised.

I'm hoping Andrei Griazev is good enough to get the torch passed down to him.

PAskate

On the Ice
Piel said:
Well, Artur Dmitriev has Olympic gold medals with two partners and has also made quite an impact on the sport.

Artur has my vote! But if you're just discussing singles, I would vote for Yagudin.

flutterby1145

Rinkside
Viktor got my vote because IMO, he is one of the few skaters that has been able to find that perfect balance of artistry and athletisim.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
:biggrin: ....I just realized I started this thread and never gave my opinion. I would definitely pick Yagudin. He was such a great all-around skater and really had one hell of a competitive career. Next, it would probably have to be a tie between Kulik/Plushenko. Anke made a good point: Kulik was more talented...but Evgeny really has had a stellar run (and it isn't finished!). Honestly, Petrenko never did much for me.